Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

African American Hair (and loss)

Hello everyone. I'm still in the pre-op stage, but I'm curious as to how the African American ladies have dealt with the inevitable Hair loss. Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

Hi chocolate butterfly,

I have asked this question quite a bit. I just had surgery this week on 11/24. I have met some African American Sleevers who have said that they had no hair loss. I have met and seen others who have had loss.

From what I have researched is the best thing is to make sure you get in all your Protein. I have really been trying to get in high amounts of Protein. I also braided my hair before surgery. I will more than likely keep it braided or maybe weave it to protect it from me combing my natural hair.

Good Luck!

I haven't had surgery yet but info wonder if Protein treatments for the hair can help in conjunction with the high protein diet...

I'm mixed race so I wouldn't say my hairs on the top end of the Afro scale it's more just thick and curly . But I like thick and curly do not want thinning out hair as I'm natural and haven't straightened my hair or been harsh with it in like a year to try and make it fully healthy pre op. As I knew surgery was on the cards ! that is actually the worst thing about this surgery makes me want to cry . Has anyone done any research or heard of a way to stop this . I'm pre op but this is the only downer for me along with sagging skin but I'm hoping I can prevent that by building muscle strength and elasticity at the gym post op when recovered .

I've just been using raw organic coconut oil and coconut milk hair treatments . And taking Vitamins . Was juicing 2x a day but is quite time consuming with work and all ..so need to get back in the habit of juicing because I did see more Hair growth when I was juicing a lot .

Great info. I just spent the last year and a half "going natural". My surgery probably won't happen until May or June (which is my going natural 2 yr anniversary). I don't want to see all of my work fall out in my brush. A friend who had it done 2 yrs ago said she just kept her hair cut short and didn't notice any loss. I don't want to do that. I read on another thread that sew in weaves weren't good because the excessive shedding will get matted into your braids.

Wow 2 years is great so your hair must be stronger . Yea And snap I don't have a surgery date but from my dates I have already from consultants ,dietitian and how long it took other people from the day they got approved I'm guessing my surgery will be around may too ! And yea I can imagine that especially when it's time to take it out because it won't have been brushed in a while the hair would just build up . Hmm it's a tough one I think the Vitamins and Protein will play a big part but next time I see my consultant I will ask but I will do my own research to see if there's anything that will really help :(

I've not lost much hair at all. I also have very thin fine curly hair rather than coarse thick kinky texture. I'm 7 months out as of 12/5.

Despite my hair being straight in my picture, it is unrelaxed and has been for the last three years as my stylist refused to highlight my hair if I was relaxing it. So I went with the highlights.

I just started experiencing hair loss.....mostly I shed. I am at month 4 and from what I've read on other threads, this is the month that the loss starts and around month 6 it stops.

I am of mixed race and my hair is straight/wavy texture and tends to be dry. I stopped using daily heat a long time and had hoped that would prevent Hair loss but it didn't. I use grape seed oil and Jane Carter and deep Protein masks but it is still dry.

I am assured that by month 6 or 7 the hair will return to its usual state and I'll stop shedding.

Good question. I'm also part of team natural and have managed to grow thick hair in the last 4 years. Set to be sleeved in March and hoping to retain growth without weaves.

I do take Hairfinity hair Vitamins but I'm not the most compliant lol

Edited by Sleeve_Sistah85

Protein and zinc and good luck are the 3 things that most minimize hair loss. :)

I have uber curly fine hair- Caucasian but doubtful that has much impact. Words of encouragement. .. a little hairloss was a minor hassle compared to obesity. It is SO worth it.

I've been natural almost 4 years. I had Locs and combed them out in March. My hair is t as thick as if like it to be ( or as long) so lord knows I don't want to have to deal with Hair loss. But if I have to, they made wigs for that. ???? I wouldn't suggest anyone who is dealing with hair loss get a weave. It could cause more stress on your hair and you could lose more than you would without it.

Edited by laurenella82

I may try Hairfinity. Great info everyone. The pros outweigh the cons. I would rather welcome the regrowth of hair than the return of pounds & an unhealthy lifestyle. Blessings to everyone!

I have been natural for 5 years thick and curly. Frankly I can use some hair lose. Is that crazy of me?

I am so jealous. LOL! ????