Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey Anna,

Usually the doctors do a complete unfill to see if the band will fall back into place. Sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't then surgery is usually required. At least this is what I have understood. There are some out there who have had slipped bands, I'm sure they will weigh in.

I have never experienced a slip but have asked my surgeons office about them. It requires a complete unfill. Most often the band will go back into place all on it's own once it is unfilled and you have no restriction for a little while (6 weeks) I believe that time is liquids only but not sure. Sometimes it doesn't go back and then it would require a surgical revision. The better "seated" the band is from your initial healing phase and the closer you follow doctors orders with the unfill diet the better your odds at not needing another surgery.

Anna, every case of slippage is different and the treatment depends on several factors. In my case, the slip was pretty severe and the band had to be removed. When the slip is so bad that an unfill does nothing, a surgery will be required to reposition or remove the band.

I don't think there's any way to definitively determine the cause of a slip, unless it's obviously due to some physical trauma. They can happen over time or immediately, and if it's the former who knows why it happens?

I don't really care, I guess. All I know is that I'm going to be VERY careful when I get my new band. popcorn, on which I know I overindulged a few times, is a thing of the past.

That i guess was the reason i asked. I should have phrased it - is there anything in particular you would avoid or do over to help prevent the slip. popcorn it seems could have been a culprit in your case. I also hear that vomitting in the early stages whether it be from over eating or illness can be a cause of slippage. I think i was more curious as to if you narrowed your specific case down as to why or what caused it so when i finally do get banned I will pay particular attention to certain things.

Here is another reason for getting a slight unfill if you are overfilled. I was overfilled. I let it go for a week because I kept thinking it would get better. However, I could not even keep a drink of Water down. I kept trying and trying to eat and drink, but everything would come right back up. So much so, that when I finally had enough and went to my doctor, I was dehydrated and had caused my band to slip from constantly bringing everything back up. I ended up having an unfill and fortunately after a month everything was fine and I am back on track again.

I understand that you want a very specific answer, but unfortunately, there isn't one. I was never told specifically what caused my slip, though I believe it was a combination of being too tight, PBing too often and overeating. It may have even been my original band placement because since my revision surgery I feel completely different. I think I have had 2 PBs in 4 months and opposed to 2 per week before the revision. I still have trouble tolerating fills and will be going back soon to try .5cc. The best advice is to follow the band rules. Measure your food to prevent overeating, eat slowly, chew thoroughly and keep in close contact with your doctor. Everyone's body is very different as well as different doctor recommendations, so there is no one answer.

Here's a cause of band slip that surprised me: a friend was in a car accident, the force of the impact caused her band to slip. Unfill didn't do anything to correct the slip and unfortunately she's having the band removed.