Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Greetings All.

I just found this site whilst browsing the net for Lap Band info and thought I'd join in and say 'Hello'.

'Hello!'

:)

I just got approved for Banding the day before yesterday at Massachusetts General Hospital's Weight Center. Anyone here familiar with it? I've been doing a lot of stressing out because the doctor there told me that I'd be better off with a bypass than the band. I feel pretty hesitant about that, so I've been looking for support from Bandsters that I'm making the right choice. He kind of left me with the impression that the band isn't as effective as the bypass. That may be true, but it seems to me that the bypass has a much higher complication rate, plus it's not reversible.

I've been looking over all the before and after pics on this site, and it seems to be pretty effective to me! You are all pretty inspiring!

I guess what I'm looking for is support from people who have the band to know I'm making the right decision. I don't want to be pressured into having a surgery I'll regret later (the bypass). It seems that even people who have complications with the band have it pretty minor compared to people who have complications with the bypass. At least the band can be taken out. Are there many people here who regret having had the band or who wish they had the bypass instead?

This is such a huge decision and I really want to be sure I'm making the right one. I really feel that the band is the best way to go for me. My doctor disagrees, but he doesn't have to live with the consequences for the rest of my life.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you folks better and making some friends. I'm just outside of Boston. Any others in my neighborhood?

Tracey

Tracey, welcome to LBT! I'm in TX so I can't say anything about that specific facility. BUT, if you're feeling at all uneasy find another Doc in your area and attend a seminar/meeting. You're in a huge metro area, I'm sure there are plenty of options.

I 1st heard of Lapband in March 2005, went to a seminar but did not like the Dr. I joined a local Yahoo Lapband support group and found out about the doc I chose because people raved about him... I checked him out for myself, and was convinced. I had surgery in Oct 2005 and am approx 25-30 lbs from goal.

For me, the clincher was "reversible" , "adjustable", etc.

You might try to begin a thread in the MA sub-forum of USA Local Lap-Band Support .

Also, try groups.yahoo.com and search "Lap Band support groups" last I searched there were 200.. one is bound to be in your area. Someone there may be able to give info on Docs.

All the best,

Karla

Are there many people here who regret having had the band or who wish they had the bypass instead?

Hi there Tracey!

I can say without a doubt that I do not regret being banded. It was life changing for me.

Best of luck!

Sam.

Welcome to LBT! Lapband was the best decision I ever made! There is a lot of information on here just for taking the time to read it all. It helped me alot to read everything I could. Good Luck!

Tracey, welcome to LBT! I'm in TX so I can't say anything about that specific facility. BUT, if you're feeling at all uneasy find another Doc in your area and attend a seminar/meeting. You're in a huge metro area, I'm sure there are plenty of options.

snipped for space

All the best,

Karla

Hi Karla.

Thanks for the input. For me, the question isn't so much where to go. I have no qualms about the facility. Mass General is one of the best hospitals in the country, and their surgeons are top-notch. They just tend to be biased toward the bypass. The director of their program, Lee Kaplan, is one of the leading researchers in the field of bariatric surgery, and most of their research has been on bypass. They haven't been doing the Band for that long and that hasn't been the focus of their research. (If any of you saw the program on PBS that was on a couple of weeks ago called "Fat: What No One Is Telling You", Dr. Kaplan was the primary researcher on bariatric surgery featured in that program).

I've spent hours looking over the before and after pics on this site, and I've been really inspired. The doctor at the program was telling me that the Band is less effective, but after looking at 49 pages of pictures, it seems to be pretty damn effective to me!!!

And I just keep coming back to the fact that the bypass means cutting in half a perfectly healthy stomach. Call me weird, but I feel very protective of my stomach. It's the only one I'll ever be given, and once it's cut, it can never be undone. If there's nothing wrong with it, I just can't see cutting it up. Same with my intestines.

So after a long night of a lot of thought, I think I have made up my mind and decided on the band. I'm so grateful that I found this site. All the amazing people on this board and their inspiring stories have made me see that the band is effective and life-changing. I feel like I've found a home in this little community and can't wait to get to know you all better.

Thank you all for posting you pictures and helping me make a really hard decision a whole lot easier!!!

Tracey :(

Hi Tracey, I just joined this forum today and was reading your page. I was banded 2 days ago and just starting to feel a bit better. I also am just outside of Boston. I live in a small town next to Worcester, takes me about 45 min to get to Boston. I had my surgery at St. Vincents Hospital in Worcester with Dr. Arcane I LOVE HIM, he is so compassionate towards all his patients. Great to chat with someone real close.

Christine