Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all! My name is Rhonda, I live in the Fort Worth,Tx area. I was banded in Oct. of 2005. I have not done very well at all. It started with a mucus problem. I had a bad time every time I had a fill. Had to have it taken back out a couple of times. I have a hard time getting anything down early in the day. Then in the evening, when I can get more down , I over eat. I feel like I need to learn how to eat with the band all over again. I have a fill scheduled in June. I am hopping this helps. I lost about 30 lbs originally but, it's creeping back on. Has anyone else experienced any of these things? I would love to hear any feedback and suggestions on getting myself back under control.

Thanks!

Rhonda how are you eating? give me an example of bkfst, snack, lunch, snack & dinner.....I would like to compare to mine ..... I've been banded since 11/28/06 ..had to go each month to increase fill b/c the restriction was that great.. My last fill was 4 1/2 wks ago- i've lost 9 lbs in this time frame.. I read alot of nutritional articles and what we should be eating with and without the band.. it has helped me alot..

Sometimes if you can't eat much in the morning it is because you ate a large meal at night. Try eating a small meal in the evening and make your lunch your larger meal, it really does work!

Rhonda, I was banded in Oct 2005 too! I'm in Houston, nice to meet a fellow bandster :)

I've been extremly fortunate not to have many complications, BUT I have heard that drainage leaves many people tight and causes problems with fills (often leading to having some of the fill removed) so it takes longer to get to a good restriction level.

Are you completely unfilled at this point? When you go back next month will they start you off slowly?

I decided I rather liked the slow climb, at each of my fills I had only .5 added at a time. I believe it helped me learn how to recognize what I could tolerate. I have a short list of foods I definitely stay away from, and others I know are sure bets if I'm away from home and have to grab something quick.

Everyone here has great advice, read on and you'll be savvy before you know it!

All the best,

Karla

I think there is my problem. I was sitting here thinking about what I eat. I have no schedule. I eat whatever. I snack way too much. I think I am a grazier! I need to get examples of what others are eating and try to map something out for myself.

I don't know what my restriction level is. I have noticed that I can eat more in the last couple of weeks. I guess I'll find out when I go in.

Thanks for the support! I wish I had found this site a long time ago!

Rhonda...

I live in the Metroplex, too and Dr Smith performed my surgery. Go back and talk to him. He's super nice and a Bandster himself. He really wants you to succeed.

What about RL support? Dr S has support group meetings at his office and there is a Yahoo group that meets regularly, all over the place. I go to the one in Arlington, third Thurs of each month. Come join us!

Rhonda.. here's my typical day of eating:

BKFST: 1 egg with shredded cheese you can add salsa and even have it in a pita... good Protein, good carb & small amt of fat

snack: yogurt w/ fruit or 1oz of cheese w/beef bites) they are in the deli section with all of the meats & cheeses they look like pepperoni sticks- they are small about 1/2 inch long

lunch: salad w/ tuna or chicken salad or fish or ground turkey .. I don't use anything low fat--it's nasty to me-- you can make a good taco salad.. i experiment all of the time on salads... Romaine lettuce is easier to eat for me.. Iceberg lettuce tends to get stuck.

** don't me wrong.. I eat meat too..I just can't eat very much--I even eat mex. food... my fave-enchiladas, floutas & tamales.. band won't let me eat much

afternoon snack--Zone bar... these are the best Protein Bars for me--My faves are: mint choc., strawberry, orange/cranberry

Dinner: same concept as lunch... you need Protein, carb & fat I try to use the zone plan -- in my mind fat is the size of cotton ball, carb is size of tennis ball, protein is size of deck of cards.. now obviously i can't eat that much food at one time so i reduce the sizes.. it's not hard once you get the hang of it.. i hope this helps.. I don't always eat the best, but try to do the better bad choices if you can.. It's hard as heck and sometimes I have to give in to my addiction- DairyQueen-OREO BLIZZARD! yummy..

Rhonda,

I hope when you go back in June, this will help you get started over..I wish you all the luck...I know this must be very frustrating to you...I have only been banded a short time, and only had my first fill, yesterday...I can't give you any advice....but I do wish you luck....hang in there...