Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

So it still hurts a bit to eat. I had to go back onto liquids today, but they said that it could be due to swelling from the unfill. Some people will swell, others won't. I guess I did. Probably from all the irritiation from before the unfil. You should see where thye put the needle in my port...it is beautiful shades of purple, blue and red. By the weekend it should be a nice golden yellow. I don't know if I posted this here, but if you are doing situps and you are getting sore at your port, you should probably stop. In some people it can cause excess scar tissue. She had a really hard time getting the needle in yesterday. It kept slipping off to the side because of all the scar tissue build up around the port. So she told me to stop with the situps.

Well I would type more, but I am way behind in school work and need to plan my next unit tonight. We start tomorrow! YIKES!

OwEEE Karri! That sounds like it hurts.... speaking of the port area hurting... when I wake up in the morning my port is very sore. I told the Dr and the nurse about it and they looked at me like i was strange? Then I said well i sleep on my stomach and they said "hmm well maybe that is why". Just an odd answer. Neither of them are banded and I think it makes a big difference when your NP or DR is banded themselves. oh well.

Ok... so I think I have seen it mentioned here... but the Salad Dressing spritzer thing by Wish Bone. BEST THING EVER!!! LoL I got the Balsamic vinegerete one... it is so yummy. And just 1 cal per spritz! Okay that is all...

Okay... my friend gave me this recipe. It sounds yummy its from weight watchers so it has the point value and stuff. I havent tried it yet so if anyone does, let me know how it is!

Creamy Potato Soup with Roasted Garlic

1 garlic bulb, cloves separated (unpeeled)

2 cups of reduced sodium chicken broth

4 teaspoons olive oil

1 onion chopped

1 ¼ pounds of russet potatoes, peeled and cubed

1 bay leaf

2 cups of low fat buttermilk

1 (10 ounce) box frozen chopped green Beans, thawed

½ cup lean ham chopped

Freshly ground pepper to taste

• To roast the garlic, preheat the oven or toaster over to 350, line a small shallow baking pan with foil. In the pan combine the garlic, ¼ cup of the broth, and 2 teaspoons of the oil. Cover with foil and bake until the cloves are soft and have absorbed all the liquid, about 1 hour. When the cloves are cool enough to handle, squeeze their pulp out of their papery skins and reserve.
  • To prepare the soup, in a large nonstick saucepan of dutch oven over medium heat, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil. Sauté the onions until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining 1 ¾ cups of broth, the potatoes, garlic pulp, and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the potatoes are soft 15 – 20 minutes. Discard the bay leaf, remover 1 cup of the cooked potatoes with a slotted spoon and set aside.
  • Transfer remaining potato onion mixture to a blender or food processor: puree. Return to the saucepan and stir in the reserved potato chunks, buttermilk, green beans, and ham. Heat, serve and sprinkle with pepper. Per serving (1/4 of soup)(im sure we would eat less!): 272 cal, 6 grams of fat, 14 grams of Protein, 43 grams of carbs. POINTS Value: 5

Hey Guys :cool2:

Takes me so long to catch up on reading when I miss a day or 2 that it is nearly midnight before I get to say anything:lol:

Anyways, I too miss some of the "old timer" posters whom we do not hear from anymore.

Lindaa and Chim-Allow me to clear up the NSAID issue. First off, I agree about consulting your MD. That being said (disclaimers and all :biggrin:), Naproxen (Aleve), Aspirin, Ibuprophen, Relafen, Celebrex, Diclophenac, etc, etc, are all NSAIDS. You have 2 category of meds that decrease inflamation. Steroids such as Prednisone and Non-Steroidal Anti Inflamatories. If it is not a steroid and it decreases inflamation, then it is most assuredly a NSAID. But to further break it down, there are several categories of NSAIDS. Naproxen is actually considered a COX 1 inhibitor, even though it actually blocks COX 1 and 2. Vioxx was a COX 2 inhibitor and was actually taken off the market d/t severe cardiovascular side effects (and the fact that they were hidden from the FDA during trials).

Bottom line, all NSAIDS could be detrimental to our bands d/t the fact that they can errode the lining of the stomach and that's all we need, something erroding from the inside with the possibility of the band erroding from the outside. That is a double whammy. So I personally will not take a chance on it, no matter what my doc would say about (he has never mentioned it and I have never asked but I do not need to ask).

Sorry guys, my only excuse for the Pharmacology lesson is that I can't seem to leave the job at work. Being an RN Educator for the hospital kinda gets in your blood and you always feel like you need to educate when an opportunity arrises. :rolleyes:

Do you teachers on here ever feel like that? I know my sis is a English teacher and she constantly fights that urge...:ohmy:

Well, I'm yawning so hard my eyes are watering, so I guess it's time to go to bed. Gotta get up at 5 for a 6am exercise class so off I am...

OH GOSH...Nearly forgot....

I got up this morning and weighed....I am getting ready for the Onderland Dance....Scale says 200.0 this am....one more lb., one more lb.

I FINALLY GOT MY ELLIPTICAL!!!!! I sold my treadmill to a friend because it was just to big for my house and I wanted something more challenging so I thought well I will get an elliptical. Found one today so we bought it. Brought it home and got it all set up and I figured ok I will go for 30 minutes before going to get my son from wrestling practice. I mean I can do an hour easily on the treadmill at 3.6 so I should be able to do this no problem right? WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!! :biggrin::rolleyes: LOL This is very challenging! I am coordinated enough but it is really a work out. I am happy though because that is exactly what I need. I have been in this rut. I moved the treadmill out of my house months ago into the garage because I wasn't using it. I was going to the gym and walking outside. Now it is FREAAZING in Iowa and no way was I going out lately. I have wanted an elliptical for a while and honestly I saved the money from the treadmill so I could buy one with that money so I had no reason not too. I went 4 minutes and thought I was going to die. Got off for a while and then got back on. Did do 20 minutes but it took me about 60 to get those in. LOL Don't know how long it will take to be able to increase but that is ok. I will just work at it each day. So I am very happy and very tired tonight.

Chim so great to have you back. We miss you. Hopefully more of our # 7's will return with our 6 months. Mine is tomorrow. Can't believe it!!! I have lost 78 lbs!! Just can't believe it!!

So it still hurts a bit to eat. So she told me to stop with the situps

Kari - omg are you ever going to get to eat again :rolleyes: The First time I got filled and the doc asked if I had done crunches (it took him forever to find the soft spot in my port) I told him no - so ever since then I have been afraid to crunches - afriad my port would flip:ohmy:

Then I said well i sleep on my stomach and they said "hmm well maybe that is why". Just an odd answer. Neither of them are banded and I think it makes a big difference when your NP or DR is banded themselves. oh well. It sounds yummy its from weight watchers so it has the point value and stuff. I havent tried it yet so if anyone does, let me know how it is! Per serving (1/4 of soup)(im sure we would eat less!): 272 cal, 6 grams of fat, 14 grams of Protein, 43 grams of carbs. POINTS Value: 5

Kristin - Sorry about your port pain - I can't help on that one my doesn't hurt anymore.

Soup sounds good - but it 1/4 of a cup for a serving 272 calories - 1 point = 50 calories (about) and for a non banded person 1/4 cup isn't very much =NEVER MIND 1/4 OF THE SOUP - read stupid Janet. NEVER MIND...:ohmy:

Sorry guys, my only excuse for the Pharmacology lesson is that I can't seem to leave the job at work. Being an RN Educator for the hospital kinda gets in your blood and you always feel like you need to educate when an opportunity arrises. :rolleyes:quote]

Katrina - Never knew you were an RN or if I did i forgot... So now we will bug you with all our medical questions - Why to my legs ach - do i have MS:rolleyes2:, Tylenol only ladies..... or if you are me I still have liquid vicoden - but i don't care for it too much...

I FINALLY GOT MY ELLIPTICAL!!!!! II mean I can do an hour easily on the treadmill at 3.6 so I should be able to do this no problem right? WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!! :biggrin::cool2: LOL This is very challenging! I am coordinated enough but it is really a work out. I am happy though because that is exactly what I need. I have been in this rut. I moved the treadmill out of my house months ago into the garage because I wasn't using it. I was going to the gym and walking outside. Did do 20 minutes but it took me about 60 to get those in. LOL Don't know how long it will take to be able to increase but that is ok. I will just work at it each day. So I am very happy and very tired tonight.

I have lost 78 lbs!! Just can't believe it!!

Congratulations Jackie 78 lbs 4_17_6.gif 23_30_105.gif

Told you the ellipcal (sp) was hard - and you are young - I have a glider which i love cuz no stress on your joints - just gotta pull it out of the garage and use it the days that i don't hit the gym - i thought that since i could so that I could do the other - but no way jose.... I watch people work out minimum 1/2 every day going fast on those machines (they are infront of the treadmills at the gym - and as I am jammng to my ipod i am people watching)

Good luck on that thing - your are going to be one fit woman...

Well off to bed - Sweet Dreams...

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb097&pp=ZKxdm005YYUS

I have to share my good news with my Lab Band friends: My son and dil stopped over last night. They said they wanted to borrow our snow blower but the real reason was to show us a sonogram pic of our 9-weeks-gestation grandchild! I know they've been working on this for the last year, and I am so happy for them (and for me!). I suspected she was pregnant when they were living with us over Christmas and she didn't have any alcohol to drink but I figured they would tell us when they were ready. Last night was the night!

---Quote (Originally by peaches9)---

I am experiencing lost restriction after each of my fills.

The restriction lasts for 2-3 days then WHAM empty.

My doc says I'll have to have a new band installed as the original is obviously defective...

I am anxious to hear if this has happened to anyone else and how you are doing now??? Peaches

---End Quote---

OMG peaches - when - I am so sorry - surgery - it's too fresh in my mind - but heck I love my weight loss so I guess I would go thru it again...

You need to post this on our main thread......

Let me know when you are going back in...

xoxox

Janet

I have to share my good news with my Lab Band friends: My son and dil stopped over last night. They said they wanted to borrow our snow blower but the real reason was to show us a sonogram pic of our 9-weeks-gestation grandchild! I know they've been working on this for the last year, and I am so happy for them (and for me!). I suspected she was pregnant when they were living with us over Christmas and she didn't have any alcohol to drink but I figured they would tell us when they were ready. Last night was the night!

Congratulation Grandma :biggrin: I am so happy for you - This is your first grandchild??

---Quote (Originally by peaches9)---

I am experiencing lost restriction after each of my fills.

The restriction lasts for 2-3 days then WHAM empty.

My doc says I'll have to have a new band installed as the original is obviously defective...

I am anxious to hear if this has happened to anyone else and how you are doing now??? Peaches

---End Quote---

OMG peaches - when - I am so sorry - surgery - it's too fresh in my mind - but heck I love my weight loss so I guess I would go thru it again...

You need to post this on our main thread......

Let me know when you are going back in...

xoxox

Janet

Peaches - Do you know yet when you are going back??? Keep us posted

You don't have to pay any more do you??

Good Morning Ladies!!:wink2:

I had to interupt my pedaling to read the posts here and to tell you about last night news. Did anyone see NBC News with Brian Williams? Anyway, Australia did a study on Bariatric Surgery and type 2 diabetes. They banded some, some were controled by diet and meds. After two years, the group that had the lapband........either 70 some or 80 some (my memory) percent were cured of type 2 diabetes compared to (Ithink) 10 -20% of non-surgical patients. I think they said there was more info on line.

Linda - CONGRATULATIONS!!! Welcome to grammahood. It has to be one of the most wonderful places to be. With a nine week ultrasound, were they using fertility drugs? That is exactly the way my daughter told us she was pregnant last time. Slipped the picture into her Christmas card with other pics.

Katrina - WOW!! I didn't know that about aleve. I take one or two every day for my bad knee. And the doctors know about this and they never said anything. What can you take then?

Jackie - ONEDERLAND!! How wonderful. Congrats. Someday.......

Karri - When I was banded (in Mexico) they told me no crunches for a year. Didn't break my heart. I hate sit-ups. (besides, I couldn't do one to save my life).

Janet - I was kind of thinking along the same lines that my body was lacking something and I was searching. I didn't eat a lot of one thing, just a lot of different things........constantly. I did do extra pedaling though. Since 12-4, I have pedaled almost 1300 miles. According to my daughter, Cancun in around 1460 air miles from here. But,....alas, my bike doesn't fly.

I GOTTA GET BACK TO MY PEDALING. HAVE A GOOD DAY. SEE YOU ALL LATER.

Didn't break my heart. I hate sit-ups.

Janet - I was kind of thinking along the same lines that my body was lacking something and I was searching. I didn't eat a lot of one thing, just a lot of different things........constantly.

Ok gang it's official that new scale I got is BROKEN (its going back) - IT'S WRONG mine is CORRECT !!! Just got back from the Dr's - I lost 6.5 from last month which is exactly what my scales say. He said he put in 1 cc - he tried 2 & then 1.5 but i was sliming on Water ... I don't keep track of this but said he pulled out 4.8 so I guess he put back 5.8

Kari

I was reading an artical in a magazine while at the doctors about the need to eat - it was about searching for food - for our emonitional hunger... When we are craving love - and aren't getting it - we turn to food.. boredom stress etc - it talked about those times when you don't know what you want - but you want to eat - so you just keep on eating - I wanted to steal the magazine to quote all the good stuff that was in it.

Ok well I gotta get to work will ck back later

Hey Janet, something to remember for next time; if you ask your doctor's office staff, quite often they'll photocopy the articles for you.

Btw, thanks for the tip regarding band tightening and Aunt Flo. She's been threatening to come for the past few days and I wish she'd just hurry up! These aches and pains are annoying. Usually my treadmill sessions will calm them down, but this morning it actually felt worse :biggrin:. She likes to change things up on me every once in a while. The past 6 months I've had a salty/crunchy craving prior to her visit. Prior to that it was a sweet pastry craving for a few months. Now it's tightening my band and making all food difficult to eat. :wink2: Pick a drama and stick with it I say! lol. :Dancing_biggrin:

Hey Janet, something to remember for next time; if you ask your doctor's office staff, quite often they'll photocopy the articles for you.

Btw, thanks for the tip regarding band tightening and Aunt Flo. She's been threatening to come for the past few days and I wish she'd just hurry up! These aches and pains are annoying. Usually my treadmill sessions will calm them down, but this morning it actually felt worse :ohmy:. She likes to change things up on me every once in a while. The past 6 months I've had a salty/crunchy craving prior to her visit. Prior to that it was a sweet pastry craving for a few months. Now it's tightening my band and making all food difficult to eat. :smile: Pick a drama and stick with it I say! lol. :smile:

Ruby - Have a romatice evening with hubby will help with the cramps ..

That's a great idea - I never thought of that - will do.. (magazine)

Thanks God I don't have my aunt visiting anymore - but luckly i never had the cramps.. food issue yes and usually sweet stuff...

Less than an hour after my last post she finally turned up!! :smile: Well at least she's easier to deal with once she's here. I know the turmoil she causes will only last a few more days. :smile: