Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

So I just got back from the doctor and am very sore (12 hours of driving today!) They did an unfill, but the nurse had a hard time getting the needle into the port. So she had to move it around a lot. It was done under fluoro, but she just couldn't get the needle in for about 10 minutes. Finally it went in and she pulled out 1.6cc (I originally had 3.6 put in) When I talked to the doctor he said that I irritated my esophogus, but the band looks great. Yesterday, prior to examination, he said that I would most likely have to be on 2 weeks of liquids followed by 2 weeks of mushies, but today he said I could try mushies after 4 or 5 days and see if it still hurts.

Peaches, I don't usually eat the bread, but I had been very short on calories for several days and wanted to add some Fiber and calories. Up until the fact that I didn't chew enough, I have had zero problems with any foods. In fact, I didn't even think I had very good restriction. I am just rarely hungry so I could eat small portions. I am trying very hard not to "diet" with the band. I eat my 70-80 grams of Protein a day and then eat whatever else my BF fixes as long as I stay around 1000 claroies. Sometimes that means eating bread, cake and pie... just not very much of it. I want the band to help me change my lifestyle, and not eliminate certain foods. I did that for years with Atkins and it didn't work for me. My doctor encourages us to eat normal food like normal people, and only eliminate it if we can't tolerate it. Don't get me wrong, I don't eat bread (or starches) everyday.

On a good note, the doc was very impressed with my weightloss. He said they consider the band successful if you lose 50 pounds in 1 year. I have lost 49 in 3 months. :whoo:He said it was rare for someone with my starting BMI to lose that quickly. Guess I must be doing something right!

Nicole, count me in for the Dec. Challenge!! This will be a great motivator.

Kathy, I have you down on the list!! :cool:

Ok, since we are all interested in pushing ourselves, I thought we could handle 1 more challenge for the Holidays. This one is to help us at least maintain during the holidays. I put this one out there:

From Dec. 22nd to Jan. 2nd, I will:

Level 1: "Not gain any weight"

Level 2: "Lose 1-4 lbs"

Level 3: "Lose 5 or more lbs"

If you're in for this, choose your level and let me know. Then on Dec. 22nd (or as close to it) record your weight and send it to me. Then on Jan 2nd, record again and send it to me. I promise to report it to everyone by Jan 3rd and we can all congratulate each other.

This will be a 12 day challenge. Good Luck.

Put me down for level 3. I'm getting fill number 3 on Dec 14th, so I'm being optimistic. :)

~Nichole

Karri--You're doing great! I'm glad you went in to the doctor before things got any worse. I think you're smart not to totally deprive yourself. That's kind of what I am doing too, and it's been working for me. I hope you don't get too discoruaged now that you don't have any restriction. How long to you have to wait to start filling again?

Nichole, I'll shoot for Level 2, although I might have to change it to Level 3 if I don't lose enough before then. I have a personal goal of being in Onederland by the first of the year, so we'll see how close I am by the 22nd.

IT'S FRIDAY! Enjoy your day, everyone!

lindaa - I have to wait until Dec 21 for my fill. He said I could go in sooner, but since it is almost a 6 hour drive from my house to his office, and I have already missed a lot of work, I decided to wait until the first day of Christmas Vacation to go back. I am not worried about Thanksgiving, because we are moving that day, so no meal for us anyways. So I figured at most it is 35 days of will power. The good thing is, I am sooooooo close to onederland (do you see that dang ticker, it is just holding on to a 2 like a rabid dog!) that I am really motivated. I think if I had 12-20 pounds on either side I would be less determined. However, there is NO WAY I am gaining this weight back. I have worked too hard. If I do find myself starving then I can go back and get a fill earlier. He said I only had to wait a week, but after the pain that I was in, and still am in a little bit, I have no desire for restriction right now. Will power is less painful!

Nichole, I'll shoot for Level 2, although I might have to change it to Level 3 if I don't lose enough before then. I have a personal goal of being in Onederland by the first of the year, so we'll see how close I am by the 22nd.

IT'S FRIDAY! Enjoy your day, everyone!

Kathy is actually doing this one, but I'm sure she'll see your post and add you to her list. :cool:

Here's a couple of suggestions;

1) Stairs, climb up and down for 10 mins. then increase as you are able... this can be a CARDIO workout.

2) LUNGES; do lunges walking back and forth in your house, you WILL work up a sweat and is CARDIO and leg strengthening. Follow with Sit ups and Leg Raises. Do this for 30 minutes.

3) Scrub FLOORS and WINDOWS by hand, don't use a mop. Get down on the floor on all fours and you'd be surprised how aerobic this can be too.

4) There are usually YOGA or excersise programs on television too.

Advantages of w/o at home? You don't have to find a parking spot at the Gym.

You don't have to go buy some fancy-schmancy leotard garb that only the "barbies" look good in.

Nobody has to see you sweaty and red faced

You don't have to pay for a personal trainer....

Now here's the challenge... can anyone else think of any other advantages that I have not mentioned???? cammon you know you wanna :cool:

Phyl

Got on the scale and I am down another five or so pounds. I made the 10 pound challenge. Also did 75 minutes on the exerbike today. Anyone have any other ideas for exersize besides the bike for people with bum knees? I know about Water aerobics but there isn't a pool to be found close by. That's what happens when you live out in the boonies.

I want the band to help me change my lifestyle, and not eliminate certain foods. I did that for years with Atkins and it didn't work for me. My doctor encourages us to eat normal food like normal people, and only eliminate it if we can't tolerate it. Don't get me wrong, I don't eat bread (or starches) everyday.

My doctor has the same philosophy. He says I should be able to eat normal foods, just in smaller amounts, eliminating what gives me problems. I have problems with bread. However I have no problems with crackers or popcorn.< /p>

Doing well now that the band had some Fluid removed. Much better than being tight. My doc says that being too tight has problems too, besides not being able to eat as much. He says there is a risk of esophogeal dilation and erosion.

Hello everyone..... How is everyone? I know I haven't posted in a while.. things have been kinda crazy, my company closed down, so I've been job hunting.... anyhow... The weight loss is going well, I have 2 fills so far. I tried on a size 14 jeans today and they zipped up, yaaay... I couldn't believe it.......Now if I could only get motivated to exercise like I should:rolleyes:........I have the exercise dvd's and all that.....I need motivation yall:help:........what sort of exercise do you all do? do you find it better to do it in the mornings or evenings?

Hey Felicia--Its GREAT to hear from you. Glad to hear that the weight loss is going well. Good luck with the job hunt. What kind of jobs are you looking for? I'm not a good execise motivator, but lots of others here are! You will find the motivation you're looking for!

From Dec. 22nd to Jan. 2nd, I will:

Level 1: "Not gain any weight"

Level 2: "Lose 1-4 lbs"

Level 3: "Lose 5 or more lbs"

If you're in for this, choose your level and let me know. Then on Dec. 22nd (or as close to it) record your weight and send it to me. Then on Jan 2nd, record again and send it to me. I promise to report it to everyone by Jan 3rd and we can all congratulate each other.

This will be a 12 day challenge. Good Luck.

Kathy - put me down for Level 2 - Glad to hear about your Dad's cancer at least is slow not fast - we gotta look for those little things to help us get thru those tough times.

My doctor has the same philosophy. He says I should be able to eat normal foods, just in smaller amounts, eliminating what gives me problems. I have problems with bread. However I have no problems with crackers or popcorn.< p>.

Sunny - glad to hear you are doing better - I eat popcorn - i don't do cracker cuz i love that canned cheese stuff on them or butter - so just don't eat them

Hello everyone..... How is everyone? I know I haven't posted in a while.. things have been kinda crazy, my company closed down, so I've been job hunting.... anyhow... The weight loss is going well, I have 2 fills so far. I tried on a size 14 jeans today and they zipped up, yaaay... I ........what sort of exercise do you all do? do you find it better to do it in the mornings or evenings?

Hi Felicia - isn't it great to get into a 14 :clap2: - I go to the gym and walk on the treadmill minimum 2 miles in about 34 minutes - i go 4 to 5 times a week and I really think it is what has helpped the most with my weight loss - if you want to eat you gotta exercise - think of the cavemen - that how God our bodies - to hunt for food - not go thru the drive thru

Sorry about your job - but a better one will come along...

ok Gang i was just cking in - gotta go get dressed for the gym before my hair appointment - and if i don't go now I am not going to have time

so will ck in later.

Good food chooice for the day ;0) - Put it down you don't need it :)

Hello everyone!! Sorry I haven't posted much this past week. Been a little busy. Congratulations EVERYBODY!!! We are all doing amazing on the weight loss. I am so proud of al of us!!

My superviser had Gastric Bypass 2 and a 1/2 weeks ago and I was 'acting' superviser while she was gone. Things were a little screwy at first because, love her to death, but she is VERY unorganized. LOL Her and I are like best friends but in the area of organization we are 200% opposites. I like things just so and to be done AHEAD of time not right before. She is doing AMAZING! You can see an amazing difference in her already. I am so happy for her. She is no longer on her diabetic meds either. It is like she never had it. After talking with her and all though FOR ME I know that lapband was the right choice. At first when I seen her results after 2 weeks for a fleeting moment there I thought 'she will lose it so fast and I will be lossing slowly.' Just a VERY fleeting moment though. I reminded myself of all the reasons why I chose lapband instead of RNY. That moment passed right on by.

This new fill is wonderful. I don't think I could be loving my band anymore. I have a goal of 199 pounds by Christmas. That is 10.6 more pounds. Anyone else gonna sign up for the Thanksgiving to Christmas challenge? Anyone else want to keep track of the progress because I am not here as much as I would like to be. Lets get lined up!!!!

Salsa so glad to hear your band will be ok. When I was to tight a while ago my doc told me that can cause damage and no one should keep a too tight fill. One of the complications she talked of was the esophagus dilation. Heres another tid that she told me Moday. We were talking about taking meds whole instead of crushing them because I got brave and tried taking my capsule of the gullbladder whole. She told me that I should not be taking any capsules whole and pills should be crushed. I am on a diuretic and that is really small. About the size of a birthcontrol. She told me to cut that one in half. I said that I hadn't had any problems getting them down or stuck and then she told me that another problem that can cause is while meds lay in your little pouch dissolving they can cause an ulcer. Back to crushing and drinking meds for me. Anyone else here of this?

Christmas Challenge

This is what I have so far:

Nicole - Level 3 (way to go!!!)

Lindaa - Level 2

Janet - Level 2

Kathy - Level 2

Just a reminder for everyone else, between Dec 15 to Jan 2:

Level 1 is to maintain (not gain)

Level 2 is to lose 1-4 lbs

Level 3 is to lose 5 or more lbs

Peaches: Here's a few more advantages of exercising at home:

* You can do it when the kids are in bed - no babysitting

* You can choose the TV channel

* If you want to get naked and have hot steamy somethin' afterwards, go right ahead... then hit the shower!!!! Ops, maybe TMI

Salsa: congrats on the fast weight loss. Could you share your weight loss secret with us... what you're eating, & exercise plan. Sure could use some new ideas.

I think I'm going to go in and get a little bit taken out on Wed. It actually hurts to eat most meals. Then within a few bites I have a gag reflex that makes me want to throw up. Sometimes I can work through it, but other times I have to go PB. Some days and meals are worse than others... but I think it might be best to get a slight bit taken out.

Please forgive me in advance for how long this will be but I have to share this with all of you. Notice the change in words where I put Lap band talk.

I can't tell you what each of you mean to me so I hope this will give you an idea.

TO: God.com

Dear Lord,

Every single evening

As I'm lying here in bed,

This tiny little Prayer

Keeps running through my head:

God bless all my family

Wherever they may be,

Keep them warm and safe from harm

For they're so close to me.

And God, there is one more thing

I wish that you could do;

Hope you don't mind me asking,

Please bless my computer too.

Now I know that it's unusual

To Bless a motherboard,

But listen just a second

While I explain it to you, Lord.

You see, that little metal box

Holds more than odds and ends;

Inside those small compartments

Rest so many of my friends.

I know so much about them

By the kindness that they give,

And this little scrap of metal

Takes me in to where they live.

By faith is how I know them

Much the same as you.

We share in what life brings us

And from that our friendships grew.

Please take an extra minute

From your duties up above,

To bless those on my lap band talk

That's filled with so much love.

Wherever else this prayer may reach

To each and every friend,

Bless each e-mail inbox

And each person who hits 'send'.

When you update your Heavenly list

On your own Great CD-ROM,

Bless everyone who says this prayer

Sent up to GOD.com

Amen

Salsa: congrats on the fast weight loss. Could you share your weight loss secret with us... what you're eating, & exercise plan. Sure could use some new ideas.

I think I'm going to go in and get a little bit taken out on Wed. It actually hurts to eat most meals. Then within a few bites I have a gag reflex that makes me want to throw up. Sometimes I can work through it, but other times I have to go PB. Some days and meals are worse than others... but I think it might be best to get a slight bit taken out.

First, you really should go in and have a little bit taken out. Pain is not a good thing. I know this from experience. As for my secret...I think it is what and when I eat. I have a very regimented day because that fits my personality. Here is a typical day:

1. Breakfast at 6:30 - Usually a sausage, egg and cheese lean pocket (140 calories and 6 grams of protein)

2. lunch at 11:30 - Usually left overs from dinner the night before. Always has at least 20 grams of Protein (Meatloaf, spaghetti sauce with beef or chicken and a few noodles, chili, stir fry etc.)

3. snack at 3:30 - Pure Protein Bar (180 calories, 18 grams of protein)

4. Dinner at 5:30 - Whatever my BF fixes. Again no less than 20 grams of protein.

I don't eat anymore than 1 cup of food at a time. I still measure if it is a new food, but I am getting pretty good at eyeing it. I also eat anything I want as long as I stay around 1000 calories. That way I never feel deprived. The only food that I really have some issues with is rice. I don't do well with sticky varieties. By not "dieting" and restricting or eliminating foods I don't feel like I need to binge. My biggest problem before banding was binge eating. I said in my first post on this site that I have been hiding and binging on foods since I was 8. When I eliminated that the weight started coming off. I haven't been very good about exercising lately, but I have job where I am on my feet all day. I have been walking/jogging home until I had this "not chewing" issue. After we move and reduce our rent significantly I am going to join a gym that is like Curves but with real weights.

I hope this helps. Oh and by the way, you can put me down for level 3. I am going to be getting a fill on Dec. 21 so I should make the 5 pounds. Now if only I could get below that dang 200 mark. DO YOU SEE HOW CLOSE I AM TO ONEDERLAND:angry