Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

Lynette - thank you for the kind welcome! I am from Seattle, Wa. and had my surgery done at Valley Medical with Dr. Alperovich. It was such a wonderful experience. The doctor's and nurses went well above the call of duty, and took excellent care of me! I would recommend them 100 times!

Frustrated: Were you saying there is a group for PCOS? If so, could you PM me the link. I would love to join that. I have never really gotten to talk to anyone else that has it. I have been suffering with the symptoms since I was in teen years and the doctors had no idea what was wrong. I haven't really done a complete low-carb diet in awhile (until my pre-op diet) but have tried to cut out as much sugar as possible and that seemed to regulate my periods some. Thanks for your response and lets keep in touch with the progess this has for our PCOS!

No sorry, what I meant was there was a group of us in this thread that have PCOS. I know Chimboree is one and I was sure someone else mentioned that they have it as well, but I can't think who off the top of my head.

I tried Atkins diet and was really successful at losing weight, however the entire time I was on it I felt like crap and had no energy at all. I also developed a kidney stone as a result and wouldn't wish that kind of pain on anyone. :straight

I've significantly lowered my sugar intake as well, due to the fact that along with it, I suffer from Insulin Resistance which is one step away from Type 2 Diabetes if I don't get it under control and keep it that way. So this lap band is very important to me for a number of reasons. Obesity is the number one culprit for many of my health ailments, so to have control over that means to have control over all my other issues.

Every health professional I've sought advice from has told me the same thing, get my weight down and under control and you'll eliminate the cause of your condition - whether it me PCOS, Insulin Resistance, Lower joint pain. So that's why I was flabbergasted when my first attempt to get approval from my insurance company was denied because it was deemed "not medically necessary". But that's all behind me now and I'm looking forward to a healthier, fitter, fuller and longer life once I'm banded. :D

Welcome Jackie! I'm in and out, but have found that just reading everyone else's posts has givem me a great deal of insights. Many times my questions are answered before I even ask them. You did a great job with the pre op diet. I bet you already have noticed some changes.

I'm a couple of days ahead of you and starting to find that the clear liquid diet's not enough unless I just want to lie aroudn all day, and I've done enough of that. I'm kicking it up to full liquids today and so far, so good. I'm not liking the prepackaged Protein shake much though.

Welcome Jackie!

I am wondering where all of you have your ports. (I am still bandless, until 7/26) My Dr. is said to place them high, kind of under the ribcage. That seems all wrong to me! He uses the newest band, except I believe a smaller (flatter) port is coming out very soon, wish I could have it.....

Ruby - I have a different Dr. but am in Dallas also. Are you going to the Richardson Surg. Center???!!! I am on the 26th also. C

Hey you guys! I made it back from my sleep study. What an adventure that was. LOL. I couldn't go to sleep for anything!!! I kept going to the bathroom (which I never do at home). They ended up giving me Lunesta to make me go to sleep. I'm sure the techs were like, 'Will this child go to sleep?!?!' LOL. Anyhow, I was surprised that they put all this paste in my head to attach the electrodes. That was real fun getting out in the shower. I have to wash it again tonight b/c I don't feel like it's all out, yet.

Well, I'm at my parents' house right now, so I'll check back in later.

I do want to wish well our Lucky 7s on deck for tomorrow, though:

Jackie506, ReneeMarie, Sunnysunshine, and SDChick.

I hope I didn't forget anyone!

Later gators!

Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

I am struggling today with hunger. I had to shop for food and that didn't help at all. I can't wait to be done with this pre-op diet. I came so very close to cheating as my family ate dinner this evening. But I didn't!

I keep looking towards the big picture and that is me....not being big anymore :D

cate54, I hear you on the head hunger issue, because I'm having problems myself today. Mostly bored, even went up to my bed to read for an hour or longer today. It's not cutting it though. I'm 3 weeks post op tomorrow, and I hate to admit it but I cheated. I made my DH a peach pie, and I had a few bites. But, I was honest and logged it on my calories as best I could, and now I'll pay because I'll have two shakes the rest of evening instead of what I had planned to eat.

I'm beginning to think the trip to the grocery killed me last night. I always try to find new things to try, but I end up getting too many new things at once, and I can't stand them to be sitting in my kitchen and I haven't tried them out!! My new rule will be 2 new foods a trip. That's all I can handle at a time!!

Sorry to ramble on.

Chim, I bet you'll sleep good tonight since you didn't last night. I think they expect people to feel out of place and they probably have given out more Lunesta then you can ever imagine,LOL. But look at it this way, you're pre op testing is finished!!!!

Ditto on what Chim said for our July 23 Banders, minus Renee Marie-she's on the 24 ( so we'll get you tomorrow), but add our new additions, JulyBander and Lady QT. You'll all be in our thoughts and prayers tomorrow, Come back and see us when you're able. We'll look forward to hearing about your day!!!

I was diagnosed at age 15, because my symptons were already in full gear at that point. The only thing that works for me is to be on the pill and take Metmorfin. Weight loss is of course very difficult, excessive hair everywhere, ovary pains...let me tell it's not fun. I gave up soda last year and now I want to give up sugar ( my main addiction- it'llbe hard!) and I am sure that will do the trick. Actually, not sure, just hopeful.

I took full advange of my Atkins diet today and went to an all-you-can-eat steakhouse. I must have had 7000 grams of protein! This was my last supper! Good thing too, because startin Wednesday I have to be on Clear Liquids for 2 1/2 weeks.

Cats are demanding my attention. I will check back in later.

Lynette, do you have a calorie limit per day? I'd be curious to know what that is. My doc seems to have such a different outlook on things. He told me for the first 1-2 months he doesn't care what I eat, as long as I eat. He's more concerned about figuring out how much I can eat and how long before I'm hungry, so he can determine if I need an adjustment. I guess I should start counting to have some idea where I'm at.

Chimboree, I've heard it's incredibly hard to sleep through the studies. Hopefully you'll get a good sleep tonight - you deserve it! :D

NewCC - my port is on my left side, below the ribs.

good luck to everyone being banded tomorrow! :clap2:

Dini, where are you my 'lil sausage'. Your Nettie is missing you. Hope all is ok.

dmtjet, and Kathybad, haven't seen either of you all day!! Must be keeping busy with your families!!

and Felicia, where have you been girl. I think you've left us high and dry!!

Icybreeze, I'm supposed to stay between 600 and 900 calories a day for now, but have to stay around 20 fat grams, 30 carbs, and 30 sugar. I'm finding it extremely difficult to eat on this mushy stage because a lot of what I'm allowed is carbs-mashed potatoes, oatmeal, cream of wheat, grits, corned beef hash, refried Beans. They all have so many carbs. I'd follow your Dr. orders on the calories, as I would love to follow that too.

I've been logging foods at fitday.com. It's nice, but they don't count sugars anywhere.

NewCC, my port is centered, right under my bra line about an inch and a half.

cazulay, steak sounds soooo good right now. I'm sure it will take months before I can chew one of those up. Hope you had one for me too,LOL.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

I am struggling today with hunger. I had to shop for food and that didn't help at all. I can't wait to be done with this pre-op diet. I came so very close to cheating as my family ate dinner this evening. But I didn't!

I keep looking towards the big picture and that is me....not being big anymore :D

Cate54

I was lucky I only had 7 days pre-op diet with a colonoscopy scheduled 7/13 - so only clear liquids on the 12th and my doctor had me on clear liquids 2 days before surgery (7/15 & 7/16)

I cheated on the 14th and again on the 15th - heck i figured with all the colon cleasing i did - i could cheat.. In fact my pre-op diet was suppose to be all liquid for those 7 days - i called and said I can't do it could i have a piece of fish & salad at night and they said yes.

I weight 250 7/6 pre op visit - 236 day of surgery - 242 when i got home and 237 this a.m. I don't count my pre-surgery weight due the colon cleasning as i don't think that was a true weight - cuz i poop all the Water that i had in my body.. so I am taking the 13 lbs for now

Thanks Lynette for remembering me. Tomorrow is the day, I hope... There seems to be a bit of a mix-up so I am not 100% having it tomorrow. I wasn't on the hospital's schedule when I called to check today. I spoke to my surgeon and he told me to come in and he would get me in. I am a little anxious about the miscommunication as the office seems a bit scattered with all of the 'business'. I called on Thursday to confirm that I was all set and the office receptionist barely put me on hold before she said yes. Clearly, she didn't check. This isn't really the way I want to go in - not knowing for sure if I will be able to get it done, but what can I do...I will let you know how it goes if it goes. I guess it is good that the hospital is only 45 minutes away.