Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

Phyl, I was able to find it a local healthy alternatives store, but you can find it at Jayrobbs.com if no where local has it.

Where did you get your DaVinci flavoring? Sounds good.

Yes, I'm loving Fit Day, never been on the site before, but it's great. I've been on there today customizing all my food.< /p>

dmtjet, a new baby in the family. Congrats Auntie. Let us know how he's doing!

I just had the refried Beans with sour cream and cheese melted on them. Yum, and it went down real well too. Great mushie food.

reconciler, you sound like you're out and about down there. Hope your taking care and getting well.

I'm doing much better today, thank you.

A sample bottle of the sugar free Raspberry flavoring came in my sample Protein pack from bariatriceating.com. But I've seen them in Safeway, Albertson's and most local grocery stores. The flavors are usually limited, though, and I'm hoping I can find the Raspberry because that Chocolate/Raspberry Protein Drink was wonderful!! They usually have Sugar Free vanilla, Hazlenut, Caramel, Irish Cream and a few others.

:)

Lynette glad to hear you are doing better today!

dmtjet~congrats on the new baby! I do have a question for you. You said it is normal to pass a lot of liquids in the beginning which I am. When should I expect to have to go to the bathroom more than just urinating? I am so afraid of getting constipated from the pain medicine, but I can't go without it.

So day two and I am SORE!!! I first woke up and said, "Wow I am feeling great!" Then I moved and WHEW!!!!! My stomach is sore. Not like killing me just sore. Once I am up I am ok, but it is the getting up or readjusting myself on my couch or recliner that gets me. Other then that doing well. Trying to get my liquids down. Yesterday I got down about 40 today I want to get down 50. Still getting groggy from the medicine. I fade in and out when watching tv. My husband has to look at me before he talks to me to make sure I am awake, because I am literaly falling asleep in a matter of a minute! Then five minutes later I am up again. Crazy!

Congrats to all of todays bandsters! :clap2:

6/1/07 350

6/27/07 339

7/18/07 331

weight.png

Hi Linda, I see you were banded by Dr. Lopez and am curious how the experience was with him and his team, and how youre doing. NYU Medical Center gave me the names of 2 dr. in Mexico, Dr. Lopez, and the one I just used, Dr. Rumbaut. I got banded this Tuesday and have no complaints other than th usual soreness. I thought Dr. Rumbaut and his team were wonderful, the hospital really beautiful ( private rooms, amazing polished granate bathrooms) - the only drawback was the nurses didnt speak English. It was one night in the hospital, discharged the next day and 2 more nights in the hotel. 5 p.m. of the discharge day the dietician came to the hotel to address the group and Dr. Rumbaut showed up as well. The fee is $9500 (thats on a supersaver day the hospital gives him, otherwise the fee is $10, 600.

I have friends interested in the procedure and would like to tell them about Dr. Lopez as well, so any details you can give me would be most appreciated. Many thanks. P.S. Arent you glad you did it????

Hey Tinkerbell77,

I know what you mean about the soreness! Just remember that every day it gets better and better. I am 10 days post op and I finally have no pain or soreness! I did pass lots of liquids, too. My doc said that is completely normal, so don't worry. I have been sleeping lots, but I figure it is the way our bodies are dealing with all these changes. All this pain is well worth it when the pounds start dropping!

Hey Reconciler

Glad your surgery went well and you are home safe. I was just in Monterrey last week for my lapband and I had a great experience, too!

Phyllser, sounds yummy! I wouldn't have thought to try that one!

Reconciler, sounds like you are doing very well! That is awesome!

Hi Reconciler. First you need to know that I am a nurse educator (in other words, I know how things SHOULD be) and I speak a little Spanish. My experience with Angeles Hospital was similar to yours in that the hospital appears modern, beautiful and clean. Like you, the staff spoke very little English, but with my limited Spanish and thier limited English we pretty much communicated.

My concern was that the standards of care are not the same as in the USA. For example, I am hypertensive and had a difficult time convincing them that it was not a good idea to keep my IV running at 125ml/hr and hold my antihypertensive meds the day after surgery. Finally, at 9:30 at night when my BP was alarmingly high, they called a doctor and got permission for me to take my meds. There were a couple other things like me having to show them how to eliminate artifacts on my EKG (something any EKG tech is taught to do), and absent or incomplete instructions that would be considered inferior care in the USA.

We were initially told that my husband could spend two nights in the hotel and I would spend the second night in the hotel with him. But when the time came, no one could tell my husband how to get to the hotel so he ended up sleeping on a bench under the air vent (very drafty) in my room. The second day, I was told that I would remain in the hospital that night which ment a second night for my husband on the drafty bench. I ended up rubbing his back at 5 am as he was getting pretty grumpy about the whole thing. He had to fend for himself as far as meals were concerned, and beg for extra towels to take a shower in my room. (They don't provide washcloths either, so be sure to bring one from home)

Anyone going to Mexico should appreciate the meaning of "Mexican time." "Un momento" does NOT mean "one minute." It means "later." The people are very polite and will smile all the time and tell you what you want to hear, but then they turn around and do as they please. Since it's hard to communicate with them, it's hard to know if they understood what we wanted, or if they forgot, or what is going on.

OK, now that I have vented about the problems, I do need to emphasize that the many of staff were very nice. When I told someone in the pre-operative area that I was nervous, she hugged me and tried to communite reassurance. Dr. Lopez only spoke to me for maybe a minute (not unlike some American surgeons), but the ansetheologist couldn't have been better, and Dr. Lopez's assistants were personable as well. I did recieve written instructions in English and had many opportunites to ask questions of people who understood and spoke English.

I would recommend Angeles hospital and Dr. Lopez with reservations. It's really important to be informed before you go and know what to expect becasue until they resolve the language issues, patients would not have a way to know these things. (Where I live, the hospitals are required to provide translators for non-english speaking patients!)

Oh yes, the cost was $8,000 + travel. Still a "Blue Light Special" compared to what it would have cost me to have the band placed in one of the centers 50 miles away from my home. When are the insurance companies going to stop discriminating against obesity? But that's a whole different issue.

Tinkerbell, I didn't move my bowels for 5 days post-op and even at that I was taking a Stool Softener/Laxative from Wal-Mart, Equate brand. You won't have much for awhile, because you aren't eating much! Now, though not having any problems in that department! So it doesn't last long!

Just spent some time catching up! I have had a busy day. Today was my final appt w/my doc and my dietician. It was great! Everything was in order, all labs/tests came back just fine. I spent an hour w/my dietician and got my Vitamins today. I am sooo ready. I met my doc this morning as we were about to get on the elevator. He saw me and immediately recognized me (I was pleased about that.). He even remembered that my surgery was this coming Wednesday. We talked the whole way to his office. I felt so good about this. Wow. 6 days away...

Apple Blossom, sounds like you're doing well. I agree w/you about nutrition being our primary concern. I just got some Vitaband Vitamins today. I think they're cinnamon.

Mango, how'd your pre-op appt go?

Tink, hello! How are you?

Kristin, let us know how you're doing when you can.

Dmtjet/Jeanie, Auntie Jeanie, congrats. I looovvve babies. I know he's adorable. As for GNC, I have to go back there soon to get my Muscle Milk. I swear by this stuff (and I don't swear, LOL!)! It tastes great. Oh yeah, and Isopure, too.

Lynette, Glad you are doing so much better today! Isn't Fitday awesome. I figure it's a great tool for us and a place we can send folks who ask what we're eating/how we're exercising...

Lindaa, Glad you're back! You are so welcome for all the support, encouragement, and advice. That's what we're here for!

Reconciler, Go you! LOL. A Mexican keyboard. Who knew there was such a thing??

Auntie Phyll, Hellp! Fitday is the best. I'm thinking of buying the software, too. We'll see. Just a lot of dough been leaving the pockets here lately...I want some of the DaVinci syrups, too. Everyone says they're great.

Becca, sounds like you're doing well, too. Keep us posted!

...I would recommend Angeles hospital and Dr. Lopez with reservations. It's really important to be informed before you go and know what to expect becasue until they resolve the language issues, patients would not have a way to know these things. (Where I live, the hospitals are required to provide translators for non-english speaking patients!)

We appreciate your honesty! I'm sorry things weren't as well as they coulda been. It really seems that language barrier caused the most concern/problem. I'm hope you're experience helps someone else out!

Hi everyone! I'm back. I was banded on Monday and doing well the next day, but then nausea set in on Tuesday evening and most of the day Wednesday and it was hard to even contemplate a Protein Shake. Got a prescription called in for the nausea and doing well again. Still very hard to tolerate the shakes. I'm just not a sweets person and everything, even the Vitamins, are so darn sweet! I'm having a hard time consuming much more than 400 calories a day and only getting about 52 grams of Protein in. Did take two short walks outside today and it was amazing how strenuous that was and I've always been one to work out pretty religiously. Switched sides of the bed with my husband and it was much easier to get in and out during the night to go to the bathroom. My left side is still pretty sore!

Hope things are better before I head back to work next Monday!

Hi everyone! I'm back. I was banded on Monday and doing well the next day, but then nausea set in on Tuesday evening and most of the day Wednesday and it was hard to even contemplate a Protein shake. Got a prescription called in for the nausea and doing well again. Still very hard to tolerate the shakes. I'm just not a sweets person and everything, even the Vitamins, are so darn sweet! I'm having a hard time consuming much more than 400 calories a day and only getting about 52 grams of Protein in. Did take two short walks outside today and it was amazing how strenuous that was and I've always been one to work out pretty religiously. Switched sides of the bed with my husband and it was much easier to get in and out during the night to go to the bathroom. My left side is still pretty sore!

Hope things are better before I head back to work next Monday!

Sorry about the nausea and shakes. :cry Maybe it's the gas/anesthesia that's causing it??? Did your doc say? At least you did get up today and move around. Just keeping drinking, walking, and resting. I'm sure things will start to look up for you!

I think the doc agreed with me that it was lasting effects of the anesthesia creating the nausea. I'm moving around, doing stuff around the house, the two walks, etc., but spending a lot of time reading and watching DVD's too. Thought I was going to enjoy this week home more than this and am a little worried about what it's going to be like on an all liquid diet back at work next week. I'm ready to move forward and get some real meat back into my diet.