Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise questions

I'm having trouble with exercising so have some questions...

WHat time of day do you exercise?

What exercises do you do (and when)?

If you walk/run in the morning, do you have Breakfast first? Eat anything? Drink coffee?

Do you go out in any weather? If so, what is best to wear? I don't have good outdoor exercise clothes yet. Where do you get them?

I'm just trying to get rid of any excuse I might have and right now, in the Northeast, it is VERY easy to come up with excuses with the cold weather.

Thanks!

For the first 4 months I pretty much just stuck to walking. Now, I recently joined a gym and either exercise in the morning or later afternoon. When I exercise in the morning I drink a "Protein coffee" about 45 minutes prior and have a high Protein breakfast after I'm done. In the late afternoon I try to time it so when I'm done it is time for dinner. So far, I only have lunch prior to that but I might have to change it and add a protein snack before I workout.

Generally I do hill walking for exercise. I walk up and down my driveway which is a steep hill. But I avoid this exercise when there is ice on the ground. A slip and fall can do a lot of damage especially as you get older.

During the winter clearing off the driveway from snow is an excellent form of exercise. My driveway is long about 1000 feet.

I am eight weeks out. The only exercise I do is walking. I started about three weeks after the surgery. I use fitbit to measure my steps. When I started I was doing 500 steps per day. I am up to 2200 steps (1 mile). I am gradually increasing. I get my steps by walking extra steps in my house when ever I get up, walking in my apartment halls, and increasing my steps naturally (parking futher in the parking lot). At the end of the day, I walk in the halls whatever additional steps I need to meet my goal. I plan to do this plan until it warms in the spring than I will start walking out doors.

I walk on my treadmill twice a day in the morning after I eat and in the evening after dinner 7 days a week. I also do kettle bells which I love!! Lost so much muscle the first 4 weeks I'm doing whatever I can to get it back. I don't wear anything special yoga pants and a tshirt usually. Bugs in my area are not conducive to outside exercise and I'm far to busy to make it to the gym I work three jobs 13 hours a day 6 days a week.

I walk on my treadmill twice a day in the morning after I eat and in the evening after dinner 7 days a week. I also do kettle bells which I love!! Lost so much muscle the first 4 weeks I'm doing whatever I can to get it back. I don't wear anything special yoga pants and a tshirt usually. Bugs in my area are not conducive to outside exercise and I'm far to busy to make it to the gym I work three jobs 13 hours a day 6 days a week.

I lost a lot of muscle early on too due to a lot of pain with surprise hiatal hernia repair which made it hard to drink anything.

I'm 11 months out now and feeling better than ever although I am anemic post op and need a second round of 5 Iron infusions

I workout at least 7x a week mostly group fitness classes: spin????????????????????, hot yoga ????????☺️, power yoga ????, Pilates, barre, and sometimes Zumba ????and kickboxing ????but I mostly ❤️ yoga, Pilates and spin because they are all low impact????

293 heaviest

Surgery ~240 on 12.12.13

Current 163-168

Old goal: 175✔️

New goal: 155-160 ????

5'7"

If I can do it ANYONE can ????????

post-195336-14161613022962_thumb.jpg post-195336-14161613230485_thumb.jpg post-195336-14161613466139_thumb.jpg

Edited by sandisleeve

Wow! You look amazing!

@@sandisleeve

Awesome!! You look fantastic! Thanks for sharing!!

I run. I also do yoga/Pilates and TRX/power weights class.

I am lucky I live in CA so don't have weather issues. I did do a trail run in the AZ desert a week ago and for that, at night (ran three relay legs and different times of day) it was cold so I wore performance leggings and a large performance tee. It was only in the low 40's though.

I run all times of day depending on my schedule. When I fuel for a race I will eat carbs with some Protein (banana with PB, ricotta cheese pancakes with flaxseed, etc) about an hour before. If it's a shorter run (3 miles or less) I don't worry about it...sometimes I will have a Greek yogert, sometimes just coffee. Always do a Protein shake after.

For classes---I can't eat before yoga/Pilates it makes me sick to my stomach. Weight classes it's whatever I normally eat. Again I do a Protein Shake after any of these.

Oh I get my performance gear/clothing online usually. Or at Marshall's/TJ. Maxx.

I run. I also do yoga/Pilates and TRX/power weights class.

I am lucky I live in CA so don't have weather issues. I did do a trail run in the AZ desert a week ago and for that, at night (ran three relay legs and different times of day) it was cold so I wore performance leggings and a large performance tee. It was only in the low 40's though.

I run all times of day depending on my schedule. When I fuel for a race I will eat carbs with some Protein (banana with PB, ricotta cheese pancakes with flaxseed, etc) about an hour before. If it's a shorter run (3 miles or less) I don't worry about it...sometimes I will have a Greek yogert, sometimes just coffee. Always do a Protein shake after.

For classes---I can't eat before yoga/Pilates it makes me sick to my stomach. Weight classes it's whatever I normally eat. Again I do a Protein Shake after any of these.

I learned the hard way about how important it is to NOT eat at least 1-2 hours before yoga ???????????????????? almost threw up after getting in and out of wheel pose ???? #NeverAgain

I learned the hard way about how important it is to NOT eat at least 1-2 hours before yoga ???????????????????? almost threw up after getting in and out of wheel pose ???? #NeverAgain

Oooo yeah I hear ya! Even too much Water makes my belly swoosh and uncomfortable!

It took me 2.5 months to really start working out but now I go to the gym about 4 days a week. I get up between 5 and 530 and head straight to the gym. I get 60-90 minutes in. I try to get in at least 3.5 miles at the gym. It's hard to get up that early, it sucks. I don't always make it or push myself as hard as I should but I do it. No excuses.

I usually don't eat anything before but one day at the gym my blood sugar dropped so low I almost blacked out. I had to drink a straight up not diet coke and I was afraid they were going to call an ambulance on me.

Now I drink a preworkout drink. Most days I'll also have a few sips of a Protein drink and something with a few carbs just to keep my blood sugar up.

If you want to work out that early here is how you do it. Have your stuff ready the night before. As soon as I wake up I turn on every light in the house, you'll need the light to wake you up. Then I start drinking my drink and get ready. Maybe listen to some music and I get out the door as quickly as possible. Once you get into a routine you'll get used to it.

I tried working out in the cold but my lungs said other wise. We have a planet fitness so that is where I go. It's only $20 a month.

Edited by Wallflower7522