Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've finally decided on a surgeon (Dr. Ariel Ortiz at OCC) and now that I've chosen him, I'm ready to go. I've been researching for over 6 months and listening to everyone's tips and advice. So thanks to all of you.

I know a passport is recommended, but I've read many times that it is not required for travel. I'd prefer to have it of course, but if it takes too long to get here, will my documentation be adequate? Meaning birth certificate and driver's license?

Side note: Getting a passport was not on my list because I never even considered going to Mexico. Something didn't sit right with me with the surgeon I have here and eventually figured out that it was his lack of expertise that bothered me; so I'm foregoing a free surgery with an inexperienced bariatric surgeon, and will self pay in Mexico with a bariatric surgeon who is an expert.

You are required to have a passport to re-enter the US. That change is fairly recent. You can have the passport office expedite your passport. I had mine within 3 weeks.

I literally sent off for my 10 days ago and received it today. I expedited of course so it cost a little more, but they definitely got it to me in a timely manner.

Thanks y'all. I ordered a passport card and delayed my surgery date. Since passports are valid for 10 years, I'd rather get a new one with a thin, cute face instead of my current fluffy face. =)

Thanks y'all. I ordered a passport card and delayed my surgery date. Since passports are valid for 10 years, I'd rather get a new one with a thin, cute face instead of my current fluffy face. =)

Please be aware that you can not fly with a passport card. You need to have a passport book to fly. The card is only good for land crossings. Please don't get kicked off your flight because you onlt have the card.

I needed a passport to go to Puerto Vallarta when I had my surgery with Dr. Hidalgo. He charged me the same price as the border but I had surgery in safe Puerto Vallarta and was able to recover on the beach after surgery! it was pretty nice.

Im have surgery tomorrow 11/5 in Mexico, I am going with only my birth certificate and DL. I don't have my passport....I am driving and crossing by foot so hopefully everything works out and I don't get stuck in mexico!

You may not need it going through, but on way back in. My coordinator told me, if you have the paperwork showing you requested it, along with that, you should be okay. Contact your coordinator and they should be able to tell you for sure.

Whew, just had a little panick attack that my passport is not up to date. Note to self to renew next year. :blink:

@@piaffe, thank you so much. I should've clarified that I'll be flying into San Diego. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to me. =)

I wanted to just use my birth certificate and DL, but I'm a bit of a chicken and my understanding is that requirements for boarder crossing have changed recently (in the last 7 -8 weeks). So, until I have my passport card, I'll be stateside.