Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What’s Your Relationship with Caffeine?

What’s Your Relationship with Caffeine?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Since getting weight loss surgery, how much caffeine do you have?

• I’ve never had much caffeine, and don’t miss it since WLS.
    • I used to be a caffeine addict, but stopped cold turkey after surgery.
    • I try to limit it to a cup of coffee a day, but sometimes that’s just not enough to get me going.
    • I know shouldn’t have too much caffeine, but I haven’t been able to cut back yet.It gets me through the day.
    • I haven’t had WLS yet, but I’m dreading giving up caffeine!
    • I haven’t had WLS yet, but I don’t mind cutting back on caffeine.

I am a caffeine addict, but gave it up cold turkey AFTER my surgery. I drank coffee all day, black please, extra strong. I couldn't stop prior to surgery, but haven't had any since. My drink of choice now is a Decaf, non fat latte. Half a packet of Splenda , please. I think I'm addicted to that now, I have at least one a day.

Susan

Hell, I would snort coffee if I could. It’s the best appetite suppressant I have found. Before surgery I couldn’t drink it because I wouldn’t sleep. Now I can down a cup before going to bed and sleep. The acid doesn’t bother me very often. Surgery has allowed coffee back into my life.

I stopped drinking coffee before surgery and had not had it until about 2 months after surgery. Now if I have a cup,it is limited to a half a cup to a cup a day.

I'm a bit different. I couldn't drink caffeine pre-op because my blood pressure was so high and I didn't like the sensation it gave me. As my BP went down and I started weaning off my medication, I was getting horrible headaches. My PCP recommended coffee to help with it. At the time, I didn't even own a coffee pot. I bought a Bialetti stovetop Mukka pot, and now a three-shot Cappuccino is just part of my daily routine. My nutritionist and surgeon have no problem with me drinking it as long as I don't add any sugar. I sweeten it with Splenda and use Toriani sugar-free syrups for flavor if I want.

I work retail along with attending graduate school for Counselling Psychology, and have a 9 year old boy at home. No idea how I'd get through the day without my coffee!!

After years of full caffeine coffee drinking, I became sensitive to it long before surgery. I started making ½ caf ½ Decaf, which was fine. I stopped drinking coffee all together for about 4 weeks after surgery; hated it! My morning coffee is sacred, and I decided to go back to my one cup in the morning. As the years go by, I become more & more sensitive to the caffeine. Now I grind ⅓ caf to ⅔ decaf, which seems to be the best ratio at this point in time. Rarely, but sometimes I'll try & have a second cup late morning. Most always......it's a mistake.

Edited by mrsto

I don't fit into the survey. I was a coffee addict before and still am. I had no restrictions placed on coffee. I do have to make sure I get my Water in too.

I have been a coffee drinker since I was a kid - my earliest memory is 7 years old.

I had to be caffeine free for surgery, so two weeks prior to surgery I weened myself off (tried cold turkey and that was a mess). Was cleared for coffee somewhere around month 3, but had to pinky shake with my doctor that I wouldn't go back to my old 5-6 cups per day habit.

I have two cups in the morning and one cup in the afternoon...some days doing a little more.

I love my coffee!

I only drank one cup of coffee a day before surgery, but I drank tea and soda all the time. Now I drink Decaf tea and coffee and no soda and don't miss the caffeine at all. I can't taste the difference.

I used to drink diet soda all day long. It's pretty much all I drank. After surgery I gave it up and now I only on rare occasion have an unsweetened iced tea. I've never been a coffee drinker so I guess that is what makes me different than most. My caffeine always came with fizz!

I do limit myself to coffee only in the morning. I guess that's just me though. My surgeon only said to avoid it for 3 months.

I used to drink coffee all day up until 3-4pm.

Now, I have a big mug in the morning & that's it, for Breakfast. Can't seem to eat anything early most days. I still need that jolt to get me going.

Around 10am, I'll eat a little something like a Protein bar.

Love my coffee, can't wake up and function without it!

my habit has gotten worse since WLS and is back to my school/studying days. i find that i drink a lot more coffee now because the warm drink helps waken up the band first thing in the morning. then depending on stress levels for the rest of the day it helps relax the band.

i also seem to find that i reach more for my coffee now than Snacks.

I never was one to drink coffee back, but do love my mochas. I have cut way back on those since surgery. Used to be venti size now order tall (starbucks). So today here is my normal drink please "tall, Decaf, nonfat mocha, no whip, no foam, 1 pump chocolate." The guy behind the counter always teases with me. When he calls out my name when ready, he says with a smile... " here's your cuppa nothin!"

I quit coffee for six weeks after surgery. Now over 2 months out, I drink two mugs of coffee in the morning (but do not continue to drink it throughout the day like I used to), and it tastes delicious!

BTW, I gave up alcohol July 1 (I formerly drank 1/2 glass wine 3-4 nights per week with dinner) and don't miss it.