Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What’s Your Relationship with Caffeine?

What’s Your Relationship with Caffeine?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Since getting weight loss surgery, how much caffeine do you have?

• I’ve never had much caffeine, and don’t miss it since WLS.
    • I used to be a caffeine addict, but stopped cold turkey after surgery.
    • I try to limit it to a cup of coffee a day, but sometimes that’s just not enough to get me going.
    • I know shouldn’t have too much caffeine, but I haven’t been able to cut back yet.It gets me through the day.
    • I haven’t had WLS yet, but I’m dreading giving up caffeine!
    • I haven’t had WLS yet, but I don’t mind cutting back on caffeine.

i was a HUGE addict, and drank almost a GALLON of regular Mtn Dew a day. yes, regular, not even diet...

i quit about a month before surgery and haven't had any caffeine since. doesn't bother me at all. in fact, the entire event of walking away from pop, after drinking a GALLON a day for almost 12 years, was pretty unceremonious. I had a slight headache the next day, took some Excedrin and had some tea.

no probs since!

Though my pre-surgical training said NO coffee, the bariatric nurse told me months later......that most everyone drinks it, anyway. She herself has a lap band, and also drinks it.

My answer is actually a little bit different but I chose the one closest to what I actually did. I used to be a true caffeine addict but I quit cold turkey on the day when I started my 3 wk liquid pre-op diet. In fact, the anniversary of the day I gave it up is 3 days away. I have not looked back and do not miss it.

I never Drank coffee because I had a very bad experience with it when I was younger , tried one more time after that and had about the same result , now however before Surgery I used to drink at least two 2 or 3 liter bottles of soda by myself a day , when I found out I was approved for surgery I weaned & stopped about 2 months prior hardest thing for me to do , because I would wake up and have a soda and then all day I would drink soda, now I still crave it once in a while but I don't want to be the 320lb woman that had health issues and couldn't walk so I just don't touch it , but I may have a glass or 2 of Tea , no sugar once in a while and that satisfies me.

I was into energy drinks big time pre-op. Never really into coffee, unless it was foo foo. I love tea though, but switching to herbal tea hasn't been a big deal. I quit cold turkey, and it was easier than I thought! I'm surrounded by coffee drinkers at work, and sometimes it does smell really good though!

My real choice wasn't listed. I drank several cups of real coffee everyday preop. I weaned down to Decaf for 2 months preop. I could not tolerate coffee for about 3-4 months postop (too harsh for my new sleeve). Now I'm back to drinking several cups of coffee/day but stuck with the decaf. Never noticed any difference in my energy levels.

6 weeks out. having about 4-6 ounces in the morning on work days (6 days a week...). no troubles. don't need it, but enjoy it.

I am an odd duck in my reaction to caffeine. I do not get withdrawal from it. I do not get a boost from it. I can literally stop any time with no headaches, shakes, or foul mood. I can drink a cup of coffee before I go to sleep if I wanted. Having said that, I drink a coffee every morning. I put a scoop of Protein powder in it. It's the only way I can tolerate the Protein Powder anymore. The pre-made shakes are a bit too pricey for what you get, so I've opted for powder. I'm not prone to acid reflux and in my program coffee is not a banned substance. I think my program is realistic in that it is hard for people to stop drinking their coffee. And for a lot of people Decaf is a why even bother proposition.

I loved my caffeine pre-band. I was hooked on Diet Dr Pepper and Diet Mtn Dew ( Go figure, diet soda!!) I knew I would have to cut out soda so I went cold turkey. I started replacing my sodas with Crystal Light and eventually switched over to plain Water. One in a while I may have some iced tea that has caffeine but I try to avoid it. I had an espresso last month and I was wired for 8hrs. I know that I sleep better after giving up caffeine and my skin looks the best ever since I have so much Water. I think tea and coffee are ok in moderation but I think the soda is just a poison to most people.

Edited by Bandora

Normally, I had about 2 cups of coffee a day. I gave up coffee during my 6 month medically supervised diet. Recently I tried Chike Mocha because something hot sounded good on a cold and rainy day. It has caffeine in it. Needless to say, it made me sick. It took me 3 1/2 hours before I started to feel normal again. It was awful! I am perfectly fine without it. Won't have it again!

Edited by Jodi_S

I loved my caffeine pre-band. I was hooked on Diet Dr Pepper and Diet Mtn Dew ( Go figure, diet soda!!) I knew I would have to cut out soda so I went cold turkey. I started replacing my sodas with Crystal Light and eventually switched over to plain Water. One in a while I may have some iced tea that has caffeine but I try to avoid it. I had an espresso last month and I was wired for 8hrs. I know that I sleep better after after giving up caffeine and my skin looks the best ever since I have so much Water. I think tea and coffee are ok in moderation but I think the soda is just a poison to most people.

Bandora - great screen name! :)

Oh Crap, I'm in trouble!!! I drink about 2-3 pots by myself throughout the day. Post op 5 years ago, I limited myself to several cups in the morning and 1 at night and now I just forgot that caffine was bad and let my habit evolve. I've never mentioned this to my doc and now It's time for a change thanks to this post.

Wow!!!! What an eye opener!! As frustrated and mad as I sometimes become with some of the advice that's given on this site or how the advice is given, I just stay away, however, eye openers like this make me realize how much I need the support from here to keep me in check. Thanks! I will wean myself off of coffee again starting right now. I had just poured myself a cup of coffe at work and now I'm pouring it down the sink after reading this. Jake

My "relationship" with coffee is very special... it's been a good 5 year affair. Since I am pre-op I have to stop, but distance makes the heart grow fonder and I assume that when I open my life to caffeine once more I'll have a greater appreciation and really savor our time together.

I don't like soda pop at all, I have 1 alcoholic drink every month or 2, and the smell of coffee makes me nauseous, so I've never had a cup of coffee in my entire life ! ( Im 56). I have 1 cup of reg tea in the AM, and when that caffeine hits me Im bouncing off the walls ! ( I know, I know........ Im weird, but obviously very sensitive to caffeine and alcohol, etc....) After that, its Decaf tea, Swiss Miss cocoa w/ Water, and a little Propel water.

@@Alex Brecher

Yeesh, fella! Have you not learned to make an "Other" choice?

I drink caffeine all day long. I did give it up for two months pre-op and about 6 months post op. It's my understanding that doctors limit caffeine because it's a diuretic and it's hard enough for WLS patients to get their fluids in. It's my understanding that the acid in coffee and soda is what tears the stomach apart, not the caffeine.

I totally forgot about OTHER! Thanks for the reminder :D

I used to drink anywhere from 4-10 cups of coffee daily. Literally had a Keurig machine sitting on my office desk. I started having acid reflux a while back and cut out coffee (as well as caffeine, most chocolate, tomatoes, high fatty foods etc) about 20 months ago.