Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What’s Your Relationship with Caffeine?

What’s Your Relationship with Caffeine?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Since getting weight loss surgery, how much caffeine do you have?

• I’ve never had much caffeine, and don’t miss it since WLS.
    • I used to be a caffeine addict, but stopped cold turkey after surgery.
    • I try to limit it to a cup of coffee a day, but sometimes that’s just not enough to get me going.
    • I know shouldn’t have too much caffeine, but I haven’t been able to cut back yet.It gets me through the day.
    • I haven’t had WLS yet, but I’m dreading giving up caffeine!
    • I haven’t had WLS yet, but I don’t mind cutting back on caffeine.

Some surgeons recommend avoiding or limiting caffeine after weight loss surgery because its acidity can irritate your stomach pouch, interfere with nutrient absorption, and lead to gastric reflux or GERD. For some people, though, giving up caffeine is tough! Since getting weight loss surgery, how much caffeine do you have?

• I’ve never had much caffeine, and don’t miss it since WLS.
  • I used to be a caffeine addict, but stopped cold turkey after surgery.
  • I try to limit it to a cup of coffee a day, but sometimes that’s just not enough to get me going.
  • I know shouldn’t have too much caffeine, but I haven’t been able to cut back yet.It gets me through the day.
  • I haven’t had WLS yet, but I’m dreading giving up caffeine!
  • I haven’t had WLS yet, but I don’t mind cutting back on caffeine.

Mark your answer, then explain it in the conversation below! We’d also love hearing any of your tips for giving up caffeine more easily.

I have 2 mugs of coffee in the morning. and sometimes I add espresso Protein powder to one of them. I used to drink coffee all day long but no longer. .

I still drink coffee anytime of the day....2 cups in the morning, then I bring a travel mug with me in the car.

If it's really good coffee, then the only way to enjoy the flavor is Black....

Usually have a cup around 3pm.....Love espresso.

Protein shakes with a shot of espresso is one of my favorites.

Still meaning to get an espresso machine.

My Coffee habits have not changed one bit since having WLS....had my first cup within 12 hours of surgery....

But that's me, and I would not suggest following my lead by no means.

I did not select a poll selection because my selection would be "I did not change a thing and have no intention to"

Sorry, but there's always one in the crowd.

Immediately before and for the first 6 weeks after surgery, I stopped drinking coffee. I didn't have headaches or other withdrawals, but I did miss it. My surgeon said I could have it after 6 weeks, as long as I was careful not to take Vitamins at the same time. Sorry, I don't have tips for giving it up easier! Even though my surgeon would have preferred no coffee until at least 4 months, and my dietitian would have preferred never, I never intended to do either, and discussed that with them.

Now, I'll have a cup first thing in the morning, then one on the way to work, then usually one when I get home in the afternoon. On the weekends I'll drink a little more. I make sure to take my Vitamins at bedtime so absorption isn't impacted. Since I don't need a Calcium supplement, that makes it easier.

I LOVE a cup of black coffee, first thing in the morning. It gets me out of bed some days. My morning routine is that cup of black coffee while catching up on Bariatric Pal ;) I enjoy that cup in the afternoon, too. I've been having pumpkin spice with pumpkin coffee creamer. It's a bit of a sweet treat. The 35 calories for the Creamer is worth it to me, because it curbs the early evening grazing I'm inclined to do.

I was a serious addict before surgery. It was a source of a lot of my liquid calories. I went cold turkey after and maintained that stance for 6-7 months. Then I switched jobs and got on an earlier schedule. During a brutal all week training I fell back into old habits and started back up with caffeine.

My sleep had improved so much and I felt great. I'm planning on weaning off it again. I currently have one keurig cup in the morning to take to work. And then if i want more i make Decaf. It's such a chemical deal for me, its obvious lol.

@@Alex Brecher

Yeesh, fella! Have you not learned to make an "Other" choice?

I drink caffeine all day long. I did give it up for two months pre-op and about 6 months post op. It's my understanding that doctors limit caffeine because it's a diuretic and it's hard enough for WLS patients to get their fluids in. It's my understanding that the acid in coffee and soda is what tears the stomach apart, not the caffeine.

I'm a tea drinker -- have to be careful with full-strength black teas (love Lapsang, Assam, etc.) and drink Kukicha as my main tea. About a pot a day -- less than 1% caffeine but not sure how that percentage compares to coffee, etc. Once in a blue moon I enjoy a Decaf Cappuccino or a little decaf espresso but I know it's not good for me -- can feel the rise in blood pressure and accompanying anxiety. Tea doesn't seem to do that to me. I will choose a restaurant based on it having decent brewed iced tea.

I've always had low energy - even before surgery. Caffine is the only thing that keeps me functioning. I try to avoid it on the weekends, to lower my tolerance, but I ususally wind up taking 1 caffine pill on Sat nights so I can feel normal.

I went the Decaf route post-surgery for approximately 1 week and I hated it. I went back to the high test after that and now I drink 2 cups of coffee every morning. I love it so.

I am a tea drinker. I drink more tea now then I ever had before. One in the morning. The mug is the size of New York City. lol

1 at three, a British thing you know.

And one after dinner to wind down my long day!

My nut told me there are worse things I could be doing. I took her at her word and that is what I do.

I was never told to avoid coffee/caffeine after surgery, so I haven't changed my habits at all. Still generally drink one cup of coffee in the morning and usually a cup of tea in the afternoon.

My surgery isn't until 12/8. When brewing coffee at home, I brew a 50/50 blend of regular & Decaf. I drink one mug of this blend while getting ready for work. When at work and mixing a shake of half vanilla/half chocolate powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein powder with skim milk, I will add about 4 oz. of coffee, sometimes regular, to my shake to make it a cafe' mocha flavor. These beverages, and the occasional glass of iced tea (a blend of black, green, & decaf), are the only times I drink anything with caffeine.

I have not had surgery yet, I have just received insurance approval!!!

But I was one of those people who would drink coffee all day long. I did a lot of research and found most doctors say to give up caffeine so I did. I also gave up soda and smoking about a year ago trying to become healthier. If I feel the need I drink Decaf tea or coffee. I truly want to give myself the best shot at this new lifestyle and am going to try to follow what my experts say to do.

postOp I didn't care for coffee the first few months

My regular routine is "2 mugs on rising" in AM, perhaps 1 before/by noonish, perhaps not.

And I take it 'Neat'...

coffee is NOT a condiment!!!!

I like it per the old Arabian instruction:

"Hot as hell

Black as night

Sweet as love"

Except the sweet part.....and I let it cool a bit.....but they got the rest of it right...

coffee was on my liquid phase post-op, so I have never avoided it. I have 2-3 cups daily. I enjoy coffee and don't plan on giving it up. I was never told not to have coffee.