Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery and Diet: Powerful Tools for Fighting Diabetes

If you struggle with obesity, you probably already face or are worried about getting a variety of health conditions, such as heart disease, high blood pressure, arthritis, and asthma. Type 2 diabetes is another obesity-related condition that can affect you and lead to scary complications if you’re unable to control your blood sugar. You can use diabetes medications to help control your blood sugar levels, but often, weight loss surgery and the right diet can be even better.

Reminder: the Importance of Diabetes

If you don’t have diabetes, someone in your family might if obesity runs in your family. You may remember a parent, aunt or uncle, or grandparent who had diabetes and suffered from complications. 29 million Americans, or 9.3 percent of the population, have diabetes, or high blood sugar, and most cases are linked to obesity.

Type 2 diabetes is the seventh-leading cause of death in the U.S., but it gets worse. It’s a risk factor for heart disease and high blood pressure, stroke, and high cholesterol. Uncontrolled blood sugar can lead to kidney failure, blindness, infections, and amputations. In total, the U.S. spends about $245 billion per year on diabetes.

Medications for Diabetes

Diabetes medications can help keep your blood sugar in check in various ways. The following are some common types of diabetes medications.

• Increase insulin sensitivity.
  • Reduce the amount of sugar your liver releases to the bloodstream.
  • Increase insulin production.
  • Prevent the kidney from reabsorbing sugars.
  • Slow down metabolism of sugars and starches.

Diabetes medications help, but each type has drawbacks. They can cause weight gain, increase your risk of infections, harm your heart, and lead to nausea and vomiting. Unless you’re on a good health plan, these medications can also be expensive.

The Effects of Weight Loss Surgery on Diabetes

When considering weight loss surgery, you probably think about the number on the scale, how nice it will be to shop at regular clothes stores, having more energy, and improving your heart health. It turns out that weight loss surgery has a big effect on diabetes, too. People who get weight loss surgery often see their blood sugar levels drop and are able to decrease their medication doses or get off of medications entirely.

You’d expect to have improvements in diabetes if you lose a lot of weight after weight loss surgery. After all, your diabetes was probably caused by obesity. Whether or not you get surgery, you’re likely to have better control over your blood sugar levels if you lose a lot of weight.

However, it turns out that weight loss surgery has a bigger impact on diabetes than what you’d expect just from losing weight alone. In some studies, patients have had their blood sugars lowered as soon as a few days after surgery! In just a few days, you can’t lose enough weight to explain the drop is blood sugar. There must be another explanation.

As it turns out, researchers do have a lot of theories about what causes the health improvements so quickly. It may have something to do with the way your body processes carbohydrates. There could be increases in insulin sensitivity. Multiple hormones are probably involved.

Researchers don’t know all of the reasons for sure, but these results are pretty consistent. The gastric bypass is most likely best at resolving diabetes quickly, following be the vertical sleeve gastrectomy. The lap-band isn’t as effective, but lap-band patients do tend to see at least some improvements. Each type of weight loss surgery has its own advantages and disadvantages, so be sure to ask your surgeon for advice.

The Weight Loss Surgery Diet and Diabetes

Surgery is only part of the solution to controlling diabetes or preventing pre-diabetes from developing into diabetes. If you want maximum benefits and lasting effects, you also need to take a look at your nutrition. For weeks, months, and years after weight loss surgery, your diet will largely determine your weight loss and blood sugar levels. Fortunately, the weight loss surgery diet is also a diet that can lower your blood sugar levels.

First, stick to your low-calorie diet. If you’re not counting calories, serve yourself only the portions and types of foods that your surgeon allows. The low-calorie diet lets you lose weight and as you do, you’ll find that your blood sugar is in a healthier range.

Next, there’s the Protein content. You already know that you need to focus on protein on your weight loss surgery diet. It keeps you full to help you lose weight, and prevents symptoms of protein deficiency. Another benefit is that it doesn’t spike your blood sugar and insulin levels like carbohydrates do. When you eat fewer carbs and more protein, your blood sugar levels will be more stable.

There are a few other ways you can plan your weight loss surgery diet to also be healthy for your blood sugar. Better yet, these tips will also make your diet higher in nutrients.

• Instead of refined grains, select whole grains, such as oatmeal and whole wheat bread and Pasta, whenever possible.
  • Eat plenty of vegetables, since they’re filling, low-calorie, and unlikely to spike your blood sugar.
  • Choose unsaturated fats, such as olive oil, instead of saturated fats, such as butter, to promote heart health and better control your blood sugar.
  • Eat high-fiber foods, such as whole grains, vegetables, Beans, and fruit, to feel less hungry and to prevent blood sugar spikes.

Type 2 diabetes can be an inconvenient disease to manage, and it can cause all kinds of devastating complications. If you have diabetes or prediabetes and are thinking about weight loss surgery, it’s important to know the facts. Weight loss surgery can help resolve your diabetes and get you off medication, but it’s not likely to be too effective without a good diet, too. Just like with weight loss, weight loss surgery is a tool for diabetes management, and you need to follow a healthy nutrition plan to get the maximum results.

I am a lap-band patient and was diabetic at the time of my surgery. I've lost 135 lbs. I was taking metformin at the time of my surgery to control my blood glucose levels. I was weaned off the medication several months ago and my latest A1C level was 4.9. Random blood sugar checks over the last month have been anywhere between 70-90 so I would expect that A1c number to be even better at the next check. So it seems that my diabetes has resolved :)

I had a sleeve and my sugar levels immediately dropped after my surgery. I was no longer on medications about a week or so after my surgery. My HgA1C at my last check up was 5.5%. At one point it was over 9%! (I had gotten it down to 6.7% pre-surgery, as my surgeon will not do the surgery on you until you get your HgA1C down below 8%). Like countrysweet, whenever I check my sugar levels they are always pretty even keel, around 94, 98 and the like.

While I will fully admit to being vain, I really was becoming more and more concerned with going blind and/or losing a foot. I was already on two medications and my nurse practitioner was thinking about moving me to insulun. I was diagnosed as diabetic when I was 32 (I'm 37 now). So the thought of facing the effects of the disease for another 30 plus years was daunting.