Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Heparin Question???

I had my pre-op appointment on Tues and that was the first time I heard of the injections as well. I haven't filled the prescription yet, but am not looking forward to this... I am not a needle girl... yeesh! :rolleyes: I'm going to try to get the L one so I don't have to do it so frequently (as if 2x/day for 14 days isn't a lot!).

Holy cow, this is the first I've heard of this! If my doctor had said anything about self-injected medications related to surgery, I'd have run for the hills. Thank goodness it was never mentioned to me!! :rolleyes:

Merely my opinion here, nothing more!!! But I have to say, I could understand Heparin for a 60 BMI Gastric Bypass patient but for your typical banded patient, it really seems like overkill.

Standard of care is a single Lovenox injection the AM of surgery.

I just found out at my class today that we will be getting heparin SQ post-op while we are in the hospital (only one night for me). Or rather, they *think* I'll be getting SQ heparin.

Not on your life. I don't do needles. It'll be bad enough having the IV.

Hi everyone. Well, today I picked up my Heparin and Needles to be taken for two weeks, three times a day. The question I have is, did anyone else have to do the Heparin Injections too and if so, where did you inject yourself at. The pharmacist told me either in the forearm or Belly. Also, I have to inject 1 ML, my needle says .01, .02, .03 and so on, so would the .01 be the 1 ML or would 1cc be the 1 ML? I hope this is not too confusing for anyone. Thanks and any replies would be much appreciated, I feel really dumbfounded right now.

Hi if you have to do the needles yourself always put them in your belly, I had a nurse tell me that it doesn't mater where you put them however if you put them in your arm it hurts more but if you put it in your belly you will come out looking like a pin cusion. But where ever you put them it will hurt but you have to do it good luck

I just found out at my class today that we will be getting heparin SQ post-op while we are in the hospital (only one night for me). Or rather, they *think* I'll be getting SQ heparin.

Not on your life. I don't do needles. It'll be bad enough having the IV.

Hi you know you have to have the heparin needles they stop blood clots, and if you don't have them the risk of getting them is hugh because of being larger. Plus the doctor won't go a head if they know you won't follow on with the Heparin the nurses find away when I went in for my lap band I said I wasn't having the hepain but the nurse just did it when I was a sleep. what I would like to know how ever is all you are saying that you have to do them yourself I'm in Australia and we stay in hospital between 3 and 5 days how many days are you in for.

I'm in for one night, and I'm in medicine myself. I know the theory behind the heparin, but I cannot be convinced that the data is out there about heparin for two shots making a difference if I'm wearing the SCD's (the inflating stockings) and getting up and walking. But that's just me, I balk at a lot of things unless you can show me the data to prove it. It's just not there for a procedure that in probably half of the cases is now performed as an outpatient.

Now if they could give me the heparin while I'm still under anesthesia for my night shot the first night, then I *might* be okay with getting one in the morning before I go home.

The longer you are in a hospital, the higher your clot risk, that's a know fact, so if I were a bypass patient and were to be in for three days I wouldn't have such an issue.

I guess I need to go find the data.

I had my pre-op appointment on Tues and that was the first time I heard of the injections as well. I haven't filled the prescription yet, but am not looking forward to this... I am not a needle girl... yeesh! :D I'm going to try to get the L one so I don't have to do it so frequently (as if 2x/day for 14 days isn't a lot!).

I won't lie to any of you that are worried about the heparin. It's a thick liquid and it hurts when you have it. I never liked blood test let alone needles. But you have to have the heparin because if you don't the fact is that you may get blood clots which can be deadly. But I had lap band over a year ago and have lost 30 kg and dropped 3 dress sizes.So bear the pain because it's so worth it and it's alot less painful that child birth and people do that more than once.

...it's alot less painful that child birth and people do that more than once.

Pain is one of the very big reasons I REFUSE to give birth...

But where ever you put them it will hurt but you have to do it good luck

That really isn't true. Heparin doesn't have to hurt. It can itch, but technique is everything with Heparin.

The Lovenox shots are not really painful at all. The needle is very tiny and it is precautionary. Just so you know, even if you are ambulatory, you can still get clots. Sitting at the puter too long after surgery, sitting at a desk too long, flying.. all of these can be contributors. Better safe than sorry. Everyone's FIRST clot is a surprise.

I was banded on April 27, 2007 and had to stay in the hospital for 1 night because of blood clot risk. I had the leg pressure gadgets on when I woke up in my room and remember at least getting 2 Heparin shots.

That really isn't true. Heparin doesn't have to hurt. It can itch, but technique is everything with Heparin.

Oh sure, you and I may be able to give it without it hurting, but with my luck I'll get the nursing student doing her first med-surg rotation and giving her first injection on anything other than an orange...

And no, I can't give it to myself...I would soooo be hosed if I ended up with IDDM.

My Heparin shot itself didn't hurt a bit. I truly felt nothing. Until about a minute afterward when the burning started. Of everything that happened pre-op -- getting the IV (they used lidocaine first), etc. the Heparin shot aftermath was the most painful. Weird!

BTW, I was given mine in my inner hip area, maybe halfway between my hip and my groin. And man, did I have a bruise afterward.

Ok nurses, do they give everyone Heparin before surgery? (Let's only consider people with "normal" blood viscosity). My band was my first/only surgery, so I have no other experiences to compare.

Make that Heparin or oher blood thinner. I didn't mean only Heparin brand.

Most of the time, a surgery patient will get heparin in the OR, through their IV. Often, you'll come out of surgery with the piggy-back still attached until it is completely empty. Then they may or may not give you anymore depending on mobility and Dr's orders.