Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Heparin Question???

Hi everyone. Well, today I picked up my Heparin and Needles to be taken for two weeks, three times a day. The question I have is, did anyone else have to do the Heparin Injections too and if so, where did you inject yourself at. The pharmacist told me either in the forearm or Belly. Also, I have to inject 1 ML, my needle says .01, .02, .03 and so on, so would the .01 be the 1 ML or would 1cc be the 1 ML? I hope this is not too confusing for anyone. Thanks and any replies would be much appreciated, I feel really dumbfounded right now.

Umm - wow. I was given 1 Heparin shot during the pre-op prep fuss. That shot was a bugger too. Kind of sneaks up on you. I'm not a nurse, but I'm with BB - sounds like it could be a lot. Before my mother went on Coumadin she had "Heparin therapy," but I don't know what her dose was -- less than 1cc though, because I was young and associated cc with "Coumadin Clot"... go figure.

Umm - wow. I was given 1 Heparin shot during the pre-op prep fuss. That shot was a bugger too. Kind of sneaks up on you. I'm not a nurse, but I'm with BB - sounds like it could be a lot. Before my mother went on Coumadin she had "Heparin therapy," but I don't know what her dose was -- less than 1cc though, because I was young and associated cc with "Coumadin Clot"... go figure.

If it is 5000u/1ml (for example) they could get her the 10,000u/1ml strength so she only has to inject 0.5ml vs. 1.0ml. They even make a 20,000u/1ml vial so she would only have to take 0.25ml for a 5000u dose. It just kinda mean to give someone a large quantity of drug especially when they have to inject themselves considering there are more concentrated versions of Heparin.

I am very interested in the dosing on this. They usually use Lovenox but Heparin is a LOT cheaper. It just has to be given more often.

To the original poster, are you on Coumadin or Warfarin for something now? Do you have a history of blood clots?

Ohhh, btw... you'll want to inject in the belly. You will find you likely bruise a LOT easier while on Heparin and you don't have as many nerve endings there so it won't hurt. But that stuff DOES itch! So does Lovenox. It just itches for a few minutes. If you inject your arms you will look like a drug abuser. Especially being that it is summer. (Well, it's hot in Phoenix anyway) Inject about two inches below your bellybutton. Anywhere in that area.

I sure hope someone worked with you on the first dose??? Please tell me they did.

Hello,

My doctor also gave me a prescription for heparin today, but I haven't got it filled yet. They told me basically the same thing-- 3x a day for two weeks after surgery. I have never had a problem with my blood and don't take any medications. Apparently, my doctor prescribes this for everybody? Anyway, when the nurse was showing me how to give the injections, she did fill the line to 1ml mark. I can only assume that is what the dose will be, but I certainly will confirm with you once I actually go pick it up. They also told me to rotate between arms, legs, and belly when giving the injections and to never do it in the same place twice. The nurse said I would give myself the first injection while in the hospital so they can supervise that one and make sure I am OK with it. Anyway, glad to know I am not alone.

They also told me to rotate between arms, legs, and belly when giving the injections and to never do it in the same place twice. The nurse said I would give myself the first injection while in the hospital so they can supervise that one and make sure I am OK with it. Anyway, glad to know I am not alone.

This makes more sense. They showed you once and will watch you in the hospital.

You just don't want to inject in the same place the next dose. You want days between doses. Legs and belly is a better bet than arms since you have a choice just because it may look really bad and it won't get better until you quit taking the drug in two weeks.

Did they teach you the little bitty air bubble technique?

If you add just a tiny little bubble of air to the injection so that the bubble goes in last, it acts like a plug so the drug doesn't run out. I'm talking about a TINY bubble. (Tinnyyyyyy bubbles......<g>) You can also just hold an alcohol swab to the site for a minute or so with a bit of pressure. But that causes more bruising thus the air bubble. Just ask the nurse when they show you in the hospital.

If you add just a tiny little bubble of air to the injection so that the bubble goes in last, it acts like a plug so the drug doesn't run out. I'm talking about a TINY bubble. (Tinnyyyyyy bubbles......<G>) You can also just hold an alcohol swab to the site for a minute or so with a bit of pressure. But that causes more bruising thus the air bubble. Just ask the nurse when they show you in the hospital.

OK. Thanks for the info. They did tell me not to touch the site afterwards.

Huh, Heparin or lovenox post-op? No one in my surgeon's practice mentioned this. Perhaps are these folks already on thinners?

I will be asking today at the nutrition appointment if I'll be doing this.

Thanks for posting about it!

Huh, Heparin or lovenox post-op? No one in my surgeon's practice mentioned this. Perhaps are these folks already on thinners?

I will be asking today at the nutrition appointment if I'll be doing this.

Thanks for posting about it!

I had the Heparin shots...6 shots total. They were done pre and post surgery in the belly and were painless. Didn't have to take any at home, thank goodness!!

Hi again...and thanks for all the reply's. Yes, they do help a lot. I just wanted to make sure to take the right dose and not overdose. I do not start the Heparin until after the surgery and my dose is 5000 USP. I am going to call my docs office and ask if I need to bring in to the hospital so they can show me. I was told the belly as well, but I am so new to this, don't wanna screw it up. Anyway, again, thanks for all the info. And if anyone has anything else to say that might help, then please do so. By the way, my doc makes everyone do the shots just to be on the safe side. I saw that posted earlier so I thought I would mention it. Take care everyone.

I had to to the lovonox shots 2x a day and I had to do them in my stomach...I found if I pinched the skin then injected it, it did not hurt as bad and YES you will get bruising which is normal. I was never "taught" how to do it I just pinched and injected...very easy not too bad at all, and that was what I was dreading! Good luck!!!

Holy cow, this is the first I've heard of this! If my doctor had said anything about self-injected medications related to surgery, I'd have run for the hills. Thank goodness it was never mentioned to me!! :rolleyes: