Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have had my band for 2 years. I've been in the green zone for about 6 months, doing fine still slowly losing. Two weeks ago I got an upper respiratory infection and was put on mega antibiotics. I coughed for a week straight. During that time anything I ate either wouldn't go down or came back up. Now that I'm starting to feel better, I can eat a little,but anything even close to a cup doesn't stay down. I thought that all the coughing could have inflamed around the band and was waiting to call the doctor. But now I am another week out and I still can't eat enough. I'm thinking I will wait a little longer to see how it goes.(doctor is a 2 hour drive) Any thoughts?

I'm not in any pain, band doesn't feel like it slipped or anything......

It's possible that mucous from the infection could be irritating your stomach and esophagus to some degree. For me, anytime I get a bad enough cold even, I get nauseous and can't swallow very well pre-band. I have had one infection post band but knowing this I called my primary care Dr early on and was given antibiotics so I didn't have near the trouble this time. I personally would at least call the physician and get their thoughts on the matter. It doesn't mean you have to go in. A lot of times you can speak with a nurse and they will either make suggestions or speak with the Dr. to see if it is serious enough you should go in at that time.

@@maryan1 Don't wait! Call your doctor and you may need a little bit of Fluid taken out. I waited, I was sick and the antibiotics caused irritation to my stomach with pretty much the same results you are having, I went to the Dr. after a few weeks when I was feeling better but still not able to get much down and after an esophagram (barium swallow) they found that I had a dilation in my pouch above the band and I had to have most of my Fluid removed. I am on week two of a liquid diet now that will last approx 3 weeks.

Don't wait if you can have a little bit of fluid taken out now until you are feeling better and then you can go back in and have fluid put back. Don't risk your internal organs and/or your band slipping.

Definitely call your doctor, however, IMO it sounds like you do have swelling going on when you mention that "During that time anything I ate either wouldn't go down or came back up." If you are still trying to eat, you are making the swelling worse.

I would go on Clear liquids for one day, Protein liquids the next, mushies the 3rd day.

This happened to me one time and I freaked. Someone on the forum suggested the 3 day suggestion and sure enough I was swollen and was back to normal after the 3 days.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I don't know why I didn't think of going back to a 3 day liquid diet. For some reason, I just kept trying to eat. I'm doing that now. I never thought a cough would cause so much residual trouble. It's good to know that I am not the only one who had this happen. I appreciate all your comments. From now on though, I will have a little bit of panic when I get a cold!

I just recently went through that with an upper respiratory infection the pills irritated my band from the size of them and on top of that the thick mucus was plugging me up. I went on liquids for several days and felt much much better and i am able to eat again. I found that sipping on something warm helped me as well.

MaryV thanks for the response. I'm having a heck of a time fighting this, it has now developed into pneumonia. Everytime I think I'm ok to eat something 'real' meaning solid, it gets stuck. So I'm just staying mushie for now. Hoping to recover soon!