Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 years out and struggling with Munchies

I am two years post op to the day. I lost 122 pounds total but found 13 since my 1 year post op appt. I am 1 pound away from an "obeses" BMI again. (which really sucks because I am 149 at 5'5") My biggest struggle right now is the munchies. I drive 100 miles to and from work (200 miles round trip) and especially on the way home all I think about it eating. I bring healthy Snacks with me for the way home but they don't last very long. I try to give myself landmarks of when I can eat the next snack but that doesn't' work too well. I listen to talk radio for the company to try and get my mind off food, got internet radio so I can listen to comedians and all I think about is food. I do my elliptical every other night which is a struggle because I absolutely hate to exercise (topic for another thread). Need suggestions, help, support on getting rid of these munchies. I absolutely can not let myself go back from where I came. My 'skinny' clothes are already not fitting right and I refuse to go out and buy new stuff again.

Are you eating a lot of carbs or sugar? Those foods can really rev up your appetite.

Or are you stressed out or wanting to eat for reasons other than actual hunger?

Edited by Rovobay

I will be 3 years out next week. I went 8 lbs past my goal of 150 to 142 but have found that I have a problem with snacking too. I had gained back up to 155 and freaked out. I paid too much to go back. So, my solution. I keep a bag of turkey Jerky in my car and I snack on that. It fills me up fast and gives lots me of Protein. Then, 2 weeks ago I decided that I will put NO food in my mouth after 10:00 pm at night. I did not realize how much I picked and snacked late at night. Well, this morning I was back to 151. If I feel the need to eat something after 10:00 pm, I just drink Water. Hope this helps.

149 is not obese at 5'5"-bordering on overweight BMI. Whew

Ok, this is a tough one with that long drive, but here is something to try. Get in the car and Water load. I mean really drink alot as that will temporarily satisfy and get you hydrated. (Hopefully you can make a pit stop on the drive home). Wait about 30 minutes, probably feeling hunger again by then and eat a veggie platter. Celery, broccoli, etc. My local grocery sells them for $5 premade or you can chop your own. Eat unlimited the rest of the drive home. I tried this last time I worked at my company office (I usually work from home) because there are alot of food temptations there. I ate the better part of a veggie tray...mid morning snack and then much of the afternoon.

Strong coffee is my go to appetite supressent. Works for hours.

Perhaps acid? I agree with Jane too, Water load. Also, eating Protein with carbs is WAY better than carbs alone... it really helps moderate the insulin spike from just carbs. Of course just protein is best, but sometimes that just won't do. Best of luck! I love to snack too.... I try and plan Snacks, and write it all down for best results...