Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting new job…how long to stay out?

I am having surgery (Sleeve) on Saturday the 27th. After searching for a job for almost 6 months (teaching high school) I have finally been offered a job. Yay!! They want me to start on Oct. 6, a week and 2 days after surgery. Should I be OK?

If all goes well which is generally the case, I would take a week off after surgery.

Being retired was a huge post-op advantage for me because I was able to recover without worrying over a work schedule and dealing with people all day. At nine days out I was on purees and transitioned to soft foods at fourteen days through twenty five days. At that point I was permitted to adventure carefully back into cooked whole foods chewed well. I waited another month before eating raw veggies and fresh greens.

By nine days I was not taking naps, but was really exhausted at bedtime and slept well. I was no longer constantly nausous, but I was still using the patch that goes behind your ear, and taking an anti-nausea pill every morning plus a PPI (Omeprozole).

If you are going back to work at nine days, just be sure that you have Water bottle handy so that you can sip throughout the day. Protein shakes will be your new best friend even if you don't appreciate the taste. Adding a little bit of pureed fruit or vanilla and a sweetener may help.

You can alternate between standing and walking and leaning on your desk. Take advantage of every opportunity to rest for a few minutes. I would think that if you have a textbook recovery (no pun intended) you could work at a teaching job so long as you are not the gym teacher.

I am one week post op today, and it was the first day of any real difficulty. Gas and acid pain disappeared within two days, incision pain has been almost non existent.

Here is the issue that arose: my brain was scrambled today. This might be important for a teacher. I called my Dr. 'S office and was reassured that this was a logical outcome of 21 days on 0 calorie Clear liquids. My brain was starving.

Truthfully, I had expected that to happen much earlier than it did. So once encouraged that I could begin to consume calories, I was slowly able to untangle myself today.

One god send: my husband, knowing how I detest artificial sweeteners and was bored with the limited range of remaining drink possibilities, made me a chicken and a beef broth, by chopping all kinds of veggies and throwing in pot with the bones. He cooked the Soup in the oven, strained it, and I had a highly nutritious broth to drink on demand. Incredibly easy.

So take the job and be sure to nourish your brain.

I took two weeks off only because i could. I think you should be fine in a week and two days, just make sure you take good care of your self for that time. Best of luck with your surgery!