Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Truth! What's the pain really like?

The pain was definitely not as bad as expected. I had some gas pain right when I woke up, but not for long. I was lucky I didn't have nausea. I didn't have any sensation of pain in my stomach, just on my left side where the larger incision was. Felt just like a stitch you would get from running. Now I'm not a weak sister, but I used my pain pump to stay comfortable as possible in the hospital, no shame in that. The better you feel, the more you will be able to get up and walk. After I got out of the hospital, I was taking hydrocodone/apap for a full ten days, but I didn't exactly take it as easy as I should have. Your stomach muscles will be pretty weak, and very easy to strain, which I did. In hindsight, I probably should have taken another week off from work. Coming back to a full 40 hour week was tough, especially being on my feet the whole time.

I guess my unsolicited advice would be to take ad much time off as you can...not just because of discomfort, but to adjust to a new way of living. And be honest with your doc about your pain. There is no reason to "tough it out," and everyone has a different experience in terms of severity and duration of pain.

I wouldn't say that it's painful post-op maybe because I was on the pain-killer a few days after surgery. The nurse asked me everyday for the pain It was never very bad even the gas pain, on day 4 when the nurse asked me for the pain and from the scale of 0-10 I said 0, the nurse said, good because you're ff the pain killer since this morning lol XD. It's more like discomfort, I felt like someone tied a tight big knot under my skin.

I asked my husband just now, he didn't recall me complaining about pain at all even in the first few days post-op.

I wish you a succesful surgery and smooth pain-free recovery ;-)

I was sleeved on 9/2/14, i was totally out of it and on pain killers in the hospital for two days, after that the dr sent me home with tylonal with codine but i havent used it. I was soar for a few days when i got home but it was pretty much nothing.

you also have to remember your internal organs do NOT have nerve endings and can NOT feel pain. the only discomfort you will have is the incision marks and honestly, i have had worst cat scratches from my cats!

dont freak out, just do it, it will be the best decision of your life!

I felt absolutely no pain, none! Sure I did feel like I had just woke up the morning after doing 1000 sit-ups, but there was no pain. I was up walking nearly as soon as I returned to my room, and continued walking till I was released the following day. I'm seven days post op, and have not at any point felt any pain!

My op was last Thursday. As others have said there's no pain where the stomach is stapled. Most of my incisions are pain free but the site where they removed my stomach (90% !) is extremely sore inside. Apparently I have unusual ribs that made the op more difficult and there was a lot of friction against them so I guess I'm experiencing pain similar to cracked ribs. I find that if I keep my body perfectly straight and don't twist, I'm OK most of the time. I do find it difficult sleeping on my back though and am currently taking soluble painkillers. Standing or sitting upright for any length of time gets painful so I just go and recline somewhere until everything eases again!

It's natural to be apprehensive but it sounds like for most people if there is pain it doesn't last that long - and the results are going to be worth it!

Before I had surgery – I would have nightmares about my stomach being cut - Our minds play horrible rolls in playing tricks on us – I had built this surgery up in my head and just was so scared about the pain etc… but in the end it wasn’t like it at all.

The thought of my “stomach” being pulled through an incision – when I talked to my doc about it, he said “your stomach is like a balloon, once it is cut it will be deflated” so the thought of having this organ pulled through this tiny incision was put to rest…

I had surgery on 12/11/13 (can’t believe I am 9 mos out) anyway – I had to stay 2 nights (it was planned because I have had issues with general anesthesia) I don’t remember pain, what I had was vomiting. I had some minor gas pain in my shoulder, but used a heating pad. I had some uncomfortable but very tolerable pain with my incisions. I had a morphine drip with the button bedside, I never used it – they sent me home with some strong liquid pain meds, NEVER touch it. I am not going to lie, the first 4 days sucked for me – but I was tired and tender and had vomiting for those 4 days, Day 5 – I was like a new person, I felt so much better. Over all this was nothing like I had built up in my mind. I wish you a speedy recovery!!

Edited by skinnygirlwithin

I was sleeved 3-25. I am one of the few in this world who had never had surgery, broken bone or children. So it was new to me. Upon waking from surgery, I felt a lot of pain. I was moaning it hurt so much. Then I threw up. That didn't help. My shoulders hurt at that time. The pain killer they gave me knocked me out again. I woke up a few hours later. No pain in shoulders, the stomach pain was tolerable. The pain never got too bad. I never had gas pain.

Some say when they pull out the drains it hurts. Mine didn't. The nurse said that it WOULD hurt. He pulled it out and it felt odd and I felt my stomach move. There was no pain. The other drain I didn't even feel. I don't do well with pain and have a low tolerance. Too much pain, I pass out. I did well. Realize, everybody feels pain differently. We could all tell it exactly and yours could be different. Don't fear. Fear is useless and causes delays in reactions and wasted emotions. Just do it. I have found all I listed above as minor to the improvements to my health.

My op was Friday 9-19; my stay at the hospital lasted until Sunday. I've had a lot of pain and I'm not sure what the cause is, it just burns lot. I've a lot of posts about gas, but none which explain what that feels like, so as to help a novice like myself, understand better, so I can deal with what I'm experiencing. I can't move around much, bend over, stand for very long without varying degrees of severe pain, enough where you can't breathe. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks!

I suggest you call your surgeon as soon as possible.

Every one is different of course. I dont want to scare you but I have to admit, I didn't expect it to hurt quite so much. Immediately after I was woken from surgery I felt this horrible pain. I was too groggy to pin point it but I do remember thinking I made a terrible mistake and wished I hadn't done it. Don't worry, that degree of the pain was over as fast as they were able to get pain meds in me. After that it was a tolerable pain (with meds). No i could not feel my stomach. The pain was full abdomen and upper back. It felt like I'd done a million sit ups, added with sharp pains if I coughed and pressure from the gas. It didn't hurt to take my first drink, but ironically on the second day when home it did start to hurt to eat or drink anything. It felt like a cramping going down then back up. That was gone after 2 weeks.

Pain on a scale from 1-10. 9 (10 will still always be reserved for labor) right out of surgery, 6 after they gave me some pain meds, 4/5 after that.

Even with the pain I would still do it again tho.

I have no clue if I responded or not..I cant find anything hardly right now! I downloaded the updated version on my phone cant find nothing on it.haha..grrr..I didnt feel nothing in the stomach area you know the part cut off...didnt feel anything! my incisions was a little discomfort but nothing like my hysterectomy I had 18 yrs ago! everyone is differant..the gas bothered up in my chest an shoulders for a few days but the first 24 hrs of it was worst. after that it was manageable. I did however have my hernia repaired and the spasms of the esophagas was the worst! had chest pains after every sip when I was able to sip. I told my surgeon leave me in another day to IV needed fluids since I couldnt drink hardly anything so he left me. those spasms last me a good wk..but eased up at day 7 an then were tolerable for another wk..after that I was fine. not going to lie to ya..for me the first month was brutal to get thru. emotionally, physically an mentally. before the month was over I had a few crying spells. I wanted a hamburger really bad! but I talked myself thru it an the hubs was my support. but let me tell ya I am 11 wks out and I still stand by my decision. next best thing I did for me...Iv done cleaned out closet gave tons of clothes away..down 60 pds...feels amazing you'll see! trust it..follow your protocol an surgeon it works!! keep us posted..:)

No real pain. ABout a week out, I felt like I got punched in the gut. Sore but not in pain. More annoying than anything. The doc gave me some good drugs tho and I took them all!

I'm 2 weeks post op today and I think I took all of 2 pain pills when I left the hospital and that was ONLY because I had a hiatel (sp?) hernia and my esophagus did not like being stitched up! You will have 5 smallish incisions and really, the pain in so minimal I'm still surprised! Walk, walk, walk, that is a huge key!!!

LadyHershey how are you now? I'm a week post op and still get sharp stabbing pains in my lower left side and some 'pulling' feelings across my lower abdomen when twisting, turning, sitting down, getting up, bending down. If I keep still I'm mostly OK but if I stand or sit upright for too long the pains start up again anyway.

However, slowly, day by day, they are getting more bearable. I guess we just need patience.

Our bodies all have their own idiosyncrasies and some people seem lucky enough not to experience pain, but some of us do - just the way it is.

I'm 1 week post op today, and for me, the pain was the worst for the first 4 days. Just keep in mind that it does get better! Be sure to take lip balm and sugar free throat lozenges or throat spray....your mouth will be dry for a few days. Hope this helps. Best of luck to you!