Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October Surgery Date

Hi majones_orl, You are so lucky to have a friend who went through and you can depend on. I too have started to freeze meals for my family because I need to have some control over my life and I can't stand the thought of what my husband would fix the kids. He has many qualities but he is surely, not a chef. Vegetables, what's that!

Hi layknee. I was a bit that way two weeks ago. Now I am just seriously distracted. I can't stop thinking about my surgery and you all and I am having an issue focusing on things that are seemingly important but I find it all meaningless. In a word, I'm obssesed with my surgery.

I am so.... clever, figured out how to get hot pink lettering! ;)

misstvb and wlswarrior are going on the 8th and majones_orl on the 9th, layknee 13th, yoyonomore and smiley922 on the 14th and OnePhatWhoDat 15th. We'll get to the 20ths later.

Anyone else with dates in the single digits and teens in our little group is missed? How are you all getting ready for the big day? what prep, mental or otherwise have you all been doing?

Hi Beni I'm on the 14th. Sitting in PAT testing

How are you holding up? PAT testing?

Fine met with the RN, blood drawn, chest X-ray .... Waiting for anesthesia to come in. I'm calm today yesterday I was a little sad, anxious and tense as I did my errands. I'm trying to get everything in place so my husband will be ready to take care of me plus we take care of his 86 yr old mom. I travel a lot for work & when I get back things are always discombobulated until I reorganize everything. I'm the planner and the organizer & a bit Type A personality so I have to just get things in order & then let him do it his way. LOL

I'm finding myself obsessing also. It's all I can think about....

I did have a few of my favorite foods before I started my liquid diet. Like Chinese, Sushi, tacos, juicy cheeseburger, LOL! I did remember one thing I really wish I would have eaten though. Apple Crisp, I'm guessing with it being a sweet, sugary dessert, I won't be able to eat it at all after surgery. Oh well. Guess I won't die with not having it again! :-)

Something else to consider. A fellow Bariatric Pal just found out her Iron was low at the 6 month blood work. Of course, this is something to try to avoid because it can cause anemia. I have spent my morning researching proper Vitamin intake and checked the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS.) This is the bible site for bariatric surgeons. After considerable reading, I found their guidelines for post operative requirements. Please take a look at this. You have to scroll farther down to Q5 to get to the area in question. I think it's worth reading since this is what the doctors read to design their post-op programs. Incidently it's what insurance companies follow for approval.

http://asmbs.org/resources/clinical-practice-guidelines-for-the-perioperative-nutritional-metabolic-and-nonsurgical-support-of-the-bariatric-surgery-patient

I do know there is this issue with how Iron supplements are poorly absorbed in general and by Bariatric patients specifically and taking Vitamin C with it helps bind it, but it is crucial not to have any milk products when you take your iron. You also can't have your Calcium at the same time (3 hours later). Because most of us are taking 2 Multivitamins at the same time once a day and probably not paying attention if there are any milk products eaten the time. I could see myself developing a problem in the future. Thus decided to share!

Good read Beni! This is what my Dr. Recommends for Iron:

Iron – For menstruating women or persons with anemia - take an additional 30 mg elemental Iron daily. Look for a chewable brand containing ferrous fumarate or ferrous gluconate. These are better absorbed and cause

less stomach distress than ferrous sulfate. Do not take iron within 2 hours of taking Calcium supplements. Calcium

decreases iron absorption.

However, I could not find that kind of iron in a store here, so I just ordered it online. It's especially for bariatric patients.

I've "eatin/drank" 104oz already today. OIY, so many trips to the potty!! 64 of those are actual Water.< /p>

Tummy is growling right now, so I'm off to have a 100% juice popsicle. :P

I hope all the 7ths are doing well! I'm in some serious pain so in and out all day. Hoping tomorrow will be better. Looking forward to others checking in.

@dc0520 Sorry you're in so much pain. :( Hope they can make sure you're comfortable!

Thanks Amy for sharing on the Iron thing. I am trying to get in front of this. I lost a lot of blood with one of my baby deliveries I ended up anemic and with post partum depression. I do not want to go down that road again. It was terrible and I had zero energy.

Dc0520 Sorry to hear about pain. Everyone says the gas pain is bad in the first couple days but make sure they take care of you with pain meds. I imagine it must be hard. we are thinking of you.

My big day is tomorrow, they changed my time from 10:30 to noon. It's going to be a long morning but so worth it in the end.

take care all!

Hey all,

I'm an October RNY!!! My surgery date is next Wednesday 10/15/14. I'm so nervous that I think I'm making myself sick. I'm trying to calm myself down but I'm still really nervous. Good Luck to all the Octobers, I hope all goes well. Keep us posted on how everyones doing!!! Best wishes!

My big day is tomorrow, they changed my time from 10:30 to noon. It's going to be a long morning but so worth it in the end.

take care all!

Good luck!! My surgery is at 7AM! Which means I probalbly have to be at the hospital at 5am. SOOOO early!! :-)