Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Amazed at some day one or two post op recovery stories

This is day 10 for me. The first 2 days were the worst for me when it came to pain. Just about all of it was from the gas they used. I struggled the first 4 days with getting the recommended fluids and Protein, but then I set a schedule and haven't had any problems since. I'm also up to a cup of fluids an hour. When it comes to exercise I waited a week before I began exercising. I walk at least 2 miles in an hour on a treadmill.

@ ...

I'm glad to hear you are feeling so much better. :)

Yeah, you were pretty pissy there for a while. LOL!

It's all good. I think what matters for us is what happens from here on out.

What amazing support you guys have all been. Just reading this stuff gives me hope. Today is a better day than yesterday, that's for sure! Still not up to par with my liquid intake. But in do time I suppose.

@@sweetcin glad your days are getting better too!!!

I am still struggling too, sweet. I just can't get all my fluids and Protein in. But it is slowly improving, not as hard to get up and down, no nausea. Some gas pain remaining and the main incision area is very sore. So sick of liquids!! But this is going to pass very quickly and I'll be one of the cheerleaders. :) God bless you all; rest well tonight!

I'm 5 days out and most of the time I feel great. Not great enough to go walk a few miles, but I'm not ness uncaring feeling anymore severe pain. I can't wrap my head around how some can get out and do so much! I drink plenty of Water and intake as much Protein as I can, but a simple trip to Walmart or a walk around the block leaves me dizzy and light headed! To my doctors standards I'm doing great but maybe I'm missing something??

people all deal with pain, I dunno, I must be a wimp. HA!

@@gregthegroove

yes, you are a wimp :o :D

only kidding bud :)

it sounds like you are having an ok recovery?? :unsure:

no major problems?? normal side effects PO??

just saying how amazed you are about some other people doing this and that early PO (marathons etc???) <_<LOL

i read many posts too about people having surgery - feeling great immediately

no problems

WLS on friday back to work on monday no prob :o

one girl had surgery out of state - and drove home 4 hours PO (i don't think she had a choice no other transportation available)

i did have simple normal side effects PO

exhausted, weak, little trouble drinking for awhile

definitely not able to walk around for distance

couldn't do any minor housework (that didn't bother me ;) )

hubby surprised me and stepped up to the plate :)

there are people that have no problems PO and can get back to normal life almost immediately

I just wasn't one of them - but i still consider myself as having an ok recovery

if you are a wimp - then i am too!!! (many others are wimpettes also!! :D )

continued good recovery :)

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

I am not sure if age plays any role in how quickly or slowly one recovers from WLS. My story was of slow, baby steps towards feeling "normal". My surgery was on a Monday, released from hospital on Wednesday late afternoon. My recovery in hospital consisted of walking around the floor on occasion and going to the bathroom. My intake was ice chips and a few sips of apple juice the day I was sent home. The first 24 hrs at home were uncomfortable. I was told not to go up and down stairs a lot..And since my bathroom is on the second floor I was sort of "stuck" in my room. By day four and five I was off pain meds, getting ansty from being cooped up, but no where near ready to do much. My five year old daughter came home on day 5, I drove to pick her up. 8 days post op was my post surgical check where I was cleared to return to work. By this time I was able to get around fairly well, but my energy level was the pits. My first day back to work was exhausting. Worked 8-5, then took my daughter to a Halloween "trunk - or - treat" at a local church. I was wiped out by the time we returned home around 7:30pm. My intake was pretty low then too, could not get in enough liquids or Protein. ( just too much restriction...those were the days! LOL) I think it was around week three post op that I realized I felt pretty "normal". In the weeks between I worked, took care of my daughter, had her 5th birthday celebration and lived it day by day. Now, looking back almost 11 months later it seems like a dream almost. Certainly like childbirth...You forget any suffering or pain when you fall in love with your new body. Enjoy the ride and live an awesome new life!!

Well, I turned 52 the day before my surgery but I recovered very easily. It was my third abdominal surgery and I recovered easiest from this (lap left kidney removal for donation and left ovary with giant cyst open were the other two). I had no trouble walking a mile on day 4. Day 4 of kidney removal I was still clutching my gut for every move! I walked a much before that surgery as before this one (and I weighed a lot less). Of course with the left kidney and ovary gone, I guess there was more room on that side :-) I go back to work tomorrow. I think it's just dumb luck this time but I'm thankful for it. I was prepared for it to be much worse.

I had a pretty easy surgery, but no, I didn't pop out of bed and run a mile! I shuffled out of bed and did a 1/4 mile of laps around the hallways. Then next day it was farther and they sent me home. I was back at work the next week but didn't try anything besides walking ( I was up to several miles by then) for 2 months! Today, I ride a bike. I find I can get a more intense workout that way, (I have hip displasia so running and many other exercises are off limits).

Just aim do a little better tomorrow than you did today and eventually the thing that feels like a marathon will feel like your warm up!

It was not a super easy recovery for me, but I did run 0.82 miles on day 4. Not by choice. I had to run the whole length of O'hare airport to catch a plane!

I really never had much pain after the first or second day (had serious cramping until they pulled my drain out). My main problems were a terrible head cold that I developed 2 days post-op that lingered until this past Monday (so 14 days post-op) and the gas/gurgling/burping with every single sip of Water. SOOOOO hard to get your Water in when every single sip is an uncomfortable ordeal.

I'm 16 days post-op now and my cold is gone, I'm getting more water (still not easy), and most of my Protein (having to rely on shakes still, though). I came back to work yesterday and I was TIRED by the end of the day. Really exhausted. I've also found getting ready for work in the mornings to be pretty tiring, since I have to do so much in such a short period of time. While I was on sick leave, I could get up, use the bathroom, brush my teeth, take my meds, and lounge on the couch for a while while I had my morning Protein shake. Then I could take my shower at my leisure and then lay in bed for a while before getting dressed. Now it's this whole routine that I have to do in under 45 minutes to make it to work on time, then I have a long walk from my car to my office. By the time I get to my cubicle, I can't wait to sit in my chair!

Eating is still a challenge. I am not supposed to start the soft/pureed stage until Thursday, but I went ahead and had some cottage cheese on Monday. That went pretty well, so I figured I could try some tuna salad yesterday. THAT was a mistake! I didn't throw up, but I was only able to eat half of the 2 oz. serving I'd prepared before I felt SUPER burpy. I'll be holding off a few more days before I try that again. So it's back to just Protein Shakes and some Soup (maybe a little cottage cheese again) for today and tomorrow at least.

The first 2 weeks after surgery weren't much fun...but every day I could see drastic changes in my improvement. I'm 2 months out now and kinda wish I could still have such drastic improvement. just settling for 2 pounds a week. I've lost 50 pounds...so no complaints!

Hey Greg I think it will be more like on your club, which after having more than half of your stomach removed seems pretty normal. I wish I were the 3 miles a day, 90 grams a Protein ,2 days after surgery kind a guy but already know I am not.

It's nice to read about similar issues that people are having. I am just two day post op and I am regretting this whole thing! I'm in so much pain! I just want to curl into a ball and sleep till the pain is gone. :( it's not really the incisions that are hurting me. It's the severe gas pain all over my back and shoulders. And also I feel like there is so much liquid stuck in my throat. I've only been able to keep down 2 medicine caps full of chicken broth and about 1/2 cup of ice chips, a couple sips of Water and now a couple sips of Gatorade and Decaf tea. That's it! I have meds for pain and nausea and have been taking them, but they just make me sick to my stomach and I dry heave. Anyone else like this on day 2?

Yes, my gas pain is horrible and seems constant on post-op day 3. It rises through my chest and out my left shoulder. Every sip I take brings on a gas pain. I have only had a few waves of nausea. Yesterday I was only able to get 3 cups of water & 1 Premier Protein drink down. I hope today will be better.