Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Uneasy Re Clinic's Advice to Speed Weight Loss

I had a follow-up appointment with my surgeon's office yesterday. I've struggled with stalls since my surgery date (I seem to stall about every 10lbs.) and mentioned that to my nurse. She said "let me talk to the doctor". She came back with a prescription for phentermine and said it would help me get through the stalls. I was shocked- one of the reasons I chose surgery was because I didn't want to take pills that might have adverse side effects. Although I was complaining about stalls, I didn't think my results had been poor enough to warrant such a "drastic" action. I have lost 37 lbs since my surgery on June 12th. I've lost 47lbs total since my weight loss journey began in May. I know I don't lose as fast as some, but I AM losing! My gut is telling me something doesn't seem right about this and I'm losing faith in my medical team. Is it normal to be prescribed weight loss drugs after surgery?

I have no experience with weight loss drugs. I would be hesitant too. There are ways to accelerate weight loss ( I just typed it up on another thread..haha) ... and also accepting that we all lose at a different rate and speed and that is okay too!

Edited to add... I just cut and paste what I typed in another post. Not exactly on topic, but maybe some thoughts for you....

I started at 308, and about 7 months post op my weight loss slowed to a CRAWL. i mean like 2# a month. I still weighed in the 190s and at 5'5" had a ways to go.

I found out that for me I had to do a couple of things to get going again.

#1 I had to really face the fact that at 190 I was physically pretty comfortable and still had an nice emotionally shielding fat suit. I looked great according to my friends, but in truth, I looked matronly which was safe for me.

#2 I came to realize that I needed to go low carb to get the weight off. For me, Protein bars where the number one issue - I was having 1-2 a day and that is ALOT of carbs. I had to stop buying them.

#3 I had to change my exercise routine. I was making NO progress spending long times on an eliptical and using the weight machines. I switched to high intensity interval training - using a spinning bike.

I went back to losing 10-12# a month and got to my goal of 158# 14 months post op. I have since lost a few more pounds during maintenance and now weigh about 140ish.

Edited by CowgirlJane

They shouldn't be throwing diet pills at you. I like CowGirlJane's advice. If diet pills could solve the problem then you wouldn't have needed surgery in the first place. Good luck to you in whatever you decide. Personally, I think slow losing is just fine. Less loose skin in the long run.

might I suggest for your stall, a great Soup that I would have. it cleanses, so yeah, it can give you diarrhea, but ti does get your stalls jumpstarted. use a cube of Rapunzel vegan vegetable broth, two cups of Water, a small chicken breast, some fresh green Beans, celery root, red potato, and zucchini. poach the chicken in this broth with the veggies. if you were to have the broth, one cup of it on day one, another cup on day two, and eat some of the chicken an veggies on day three, I can guarantee that you will be jumpstarted. if you find that you start to have diarrhea at any point, don't have any more, stop at that point and store the rest. you should start losing weight again, and it's healthy in cleansing your liver. it's potent, all natural, and if you're like me, you will use all organic ingredients. it's what I use every time I would stall. have lost 105 pounds since November 2nd.

Don't take the pills. Not worth it. Slower weight loss it the safest way to go anyway. I lost 70lbs on Optifast once...took 6 mths....gained it all back within another 6 mths. I lost 50lbs on Phentermine once...took 3 mths.....guess what...put it all back on in 4 mths. I lost 70lbs on Weight Watchers once....took 14 mths.....kept it off for 11 years! Slower weight loss gives you more time to figure your self out, learn new habits and gives your body time to adjust and accept. Yes...WLS will take it off quicker for a lot of people....but it is also a tool that will help keep it off if you use it right. You are using it right!! Skip the pills my friend, you will be happy you did! :)

Had surgery June 24 and down 47 pounds. Nothing wrong with you or me. Just a little slower.

Do not take those pills. After you stop they will make you a starving lunatic. They work temporarily and then hunger comes raging back in.

Not worth it.

I am truly shocked he gave you the rx for that

I dont know how common it is but I was also given a script for adipex. I did take it a few days but the more I read the more nervous I became that I was setting myself up for a regain. I felt the same as you. I took the wls route because I didnt want to go the pill route. By the way my stall is over and I am losing again. I upped the intensity of my exercise. Nothing changed weight wise for a few more weeks but now its moving along nicely without pills.

might I suggest for your stall, a great Soup that I would have. it cleanses, so yeah, it can give you diarrhea, but ti does get your stalls jumpstarted. use a cube of Rapunzel vegan vegetable broth, two cups of Water, a small chicken breast, some fresh green Beans, celery root, red potato, and zucchini. poach the chicken in this broth with the veggies. if you were to have the broth, one cup of it on day one, another cup on day two, and eat some of the chicken an veggies on day three, I can guarantee that you will be jumpstarted. if you find that you start to have diarrhea at any point, don't have any more, stop at that point and store the rest. you should start losing weight again, and it's healthy in cleansing your liver. it's potent, all natural, and if you're like me, you will use all organic ingredients. it's what I use every time I would stall. have lost 105 pounds since November 2nd.

I had 2 save this post for the future! Thanks a bunch!!! :)