Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many calories is too few

Sleeved a week ago, came home Thursday and I've been on liquids only and another week to go. Right now I can't handle more than 2-3 oz Protein in one sitting and trying to get all of my Water in. So I've been doing Protein Shakes 2-3 times a day and fortified Soup broth 2 times a day. I can't seem to get in more than 250- 300 calories a day so I feel a little drained if I do long walks or some yard work. Any ideas to get in more or if this is normal?

I was sleeved Aug. 7th. I had a hard time the first week. But I found my new best friend... Scrambled eggs blenderized with milk! Sounded so yucky at first until I became desperate for something besides broth. That actually is on my Dr.'s list of things I could have. So I whipped some up and boy did I like it! Lol! I got some energy from it. But the first week was the most exhausting for me. Then it passed, now I feel so much better! Just dealing with nausea since the 17th.

As my Doc told me at that point ,"dont worry about calories, but get your Water in." That was for the first 6 weeks post op.

I am 7 wks out an I use myfitnesspal an I'm still only getting between 400 to 650 daily. Which is fine with me. I am struggling with energy which isn't nothing new have been for 15 yrs or so. I have hashis so it's destroying my thyroid I swing from high to low.. on thyroid med going to have it upped soon. I still meet Protein requirements of 60.

Wow I am ending my third week and have been eating scrambled eggs mixed with almond milk, cottage cheese, chicken noodle Soup, and very small pieces of cut up roasted chicken. Of course I can't get much of any of it in, and I chew until its pretty much mush, lol. But I still get my Water in. I chose these items to eat because of the Protein count in them. On a different note, can anyone tell me how long these glue bandage things are supposed to stay on for?

I had surgery on the 7th and my first follow up on the 18th. My Dr. said put a lil baby oil around the glue and go ahead and peel it off. My incisions were healed on the outside and the tiny bits of dried blood or scab came off with the glue. It was a lil pink still but nothing was open or oozy. Felt good to get the glue off, it was itchy. Now I didn't have any incisions in my belly button and when I had gallbladder surgery my belly button did have one. That did take longer to heal.

Awesome, thanks Jess! I had my sleeve on Aug 6th and have had a terrible recovery! But I am finally starting to feel more like myself again. I have only lost 15 pounds and have been at the same weight now for about four days. I haven't been watching my calories, just mainly my Water, Protein, and fiber...for obvious reasons, lol. But at first I hated myself for doing this, and was pretty depressed. I had no idea it was going to be anything like this, my doctor and/or his staff did not prepare me well at all. They made it seem so simple. Like a walk in the park.

Sleeved a week ago, came home Thursday and I've been on liquids only and another week to go. Right now I can't handle more than 2-3 oz Protein in one sitting and trying to get all of my Water in. So I've been doing Protein Shakes 2-3 times a day and fortified Soup broth 2 times a day. I can't seem to get in more than 250- 300 calories a day so I feel a little drained if I do long walks or some yard work. Any ideas to get in more or if this is normal?

One week post-op that is VERY normal! Just work on staying hydrated. As your tummy heals and the swelling subsides, you'll be able to get more calories and concentrate on protein and calories. Right now you just need to work on staying hydrated...sip, sip, sip all day! Feeling weak is normal and expected, especially given the dramatic decrease in calories and carbs. Just remember, this phase of difficulty is temporary. It will pass and before you know it you're going to be a skinny minney!!!

Awesome, thanks Jess! I had my sleeve on Aug 6th and have had a terrible recovery! But I am finally starting to feel more like myself again. I have only lost 15 pounds and have been at the same weight now for about four days. I haven't been watching my calories, just mainly my Water, Protein, and fiber...for obvious reasons, lol. But at first I hated myself for doing this, and was pretty depressed. I had no idea it was going to be anything like this, my doctor and/or his staff did not prepare me well at all. They made it seem so simple. Like a walk in the park.

It is definitely NOT a walk in the park! Lol I know how the depression feels. I cried for the first time today since I have been dealing with nausea sine the 17th. I'm so freakin tired of nausea, it got overwhelming today! But I just keep thinking about when all that goes away and I'm feeling good........I will also be be super hot and sexy!!! Lol

Oh man I hate it that you are still nauseous, that's the worst feeling ever! I cried the third and fourth day. Have you tried putting cold rags around your neck. One of the nurses in the ER told me that if you can get something cold around your neck, chest, and back area it helps. She said it helps stop the sensors from getting to your brain that tell you that you are nausea.

Oh man I hate it that you are still nauseous, that's the worst feeling ever! I cried the third and fourth day. Have you tried putting cold rags around your neck. One of the nurses in the ER told me that if you can get something cold around your neck, chest, and back area it helps. She said it helps stop the sensors from getting to your brain that tell you that you are nausea.

Thank you! Great idea! I'll try anything.

I had trouble with minimum calories my first week, too. Doc said as long as I was getting as much Protein as possible and all my Water, I could work my way up. BUT, after the first week check-up, he said I really needed to try hard to get in at least 600 calories. If I didn't, my energy would suffer. Whatever your doc recommended minimum, try to work your way up to, so you can heal quickly and regain the energy to resume a normal life as soon as possible.