Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone.

I had my gastric bypass July 31st 2014. I am so happy I came across this forum so I can talk to other folks who also know what I'm going through. I am from Philadelphia PA.

My pain 8 days out is MUCH better. My main struggle now is drinking Protein Shakes, That taste and smell horrible to me. I asked my nephew and brother to take a sip of my Protein shake and they both said how good it was. I was shocked. I was NEVER a picky eater (I've eaten mealworms, fireflies, raw octopus etc) The one thing I am starting to contribute this to is my heightened sense of smell since the surgery. I can smell everything. Has anyone else had this problem? Does it go away? Anyway... I AM still drinking these shakes but its a tough struggle for me.

Another big nasty for me are the HUGE Multivitamins i have to take, my word, nasty. I hope eventually I can go on pill forms of my Multi, Calcium Nitrate etc.

My 1 week post-op visit was yesterday. Everything looks great except for my blood pressure was high, which is concerning since I had my blood pressure under control for 5 years pre-op. I ordered myself a blood pressure monitor from Amazon which should arrive today. I'm also getting winded and fatigued very easily which is limiting my daily activities. Doc says 1-2 weeks after using my protein shakes I should start seeing an improvement. Hope so.

I attached a recent photo of my so you can put a face to this text. Have a great day!

Don

post-228467-0-74978800-1407586926_thumb.jpg

post-228467-0-72016900-1407586981_thumb.jpg

Hi Don! Welcome! Donald was my youngest brother's name, so I'll have no trouble remembering you. Sounds like you're doing great...congratulations! I wish you continued success and smooth sailing!

Welcome Donald your taste buds does changed after surgery LOL, things I use to love to eat before surgery I cant even stand the smell lol, have you tried other Protein drinks? I am drinking premiere Protein without any problems as well as occasional Isopure thats already mix . Congrats on your choice to be healthy and I agree with your doctor as time progress you will have more energy, have you tried walking for at least 10 - 15 minutes per day try that may help with your energy as well. As far as Vitamins I am taking chewables by bariatric advantages cherry flavor and love them. Congrats again on your choice to be healthy and i am sure before you know it your blood pressure will be under control and you will be off those meds as well. By the way I love that fish you caught, pure protein LOL. Keep us posted my friend.

Hello Don!

The smell changes was the worst for me. I am now 4.5 months post op and it is much better. For the first month I had to switch to the pre made muscle milk. It was a lot thinner. Also I had to have a cup with a lid so I couldn't smell it.

It does get better!

I hate not liking the smell or taste of something I used to like. I love eggs but I'm having a really hard time liking them now which sucks because they are such a great Protein source. My bypass was 7/9 and I found the Protein Shakes horrible also so it was nice when my doc told me to stop them. I had my bypass in Delaware county PA so right outside Philly. Good luck and every day gets better!

Welcome Don. just a question. i too have eaten some strange things but why would you eat Fireflies. They light up the night like little stars showing you your way..lol

Anyway, I never got used to Protein shakes and hate them to this day. I fear getting sick ( flu ) so that I am forced once again to drink them...yuck!

Your blood pressure most likely will go back down. Don't forget your body is under attack kinda with the new and improved you coming out. It will fight to keep you as healthy as you were before you started WLS. And once it sees it is okay..It will change even more. Our bodies adjust to circumstances as we present them until it cannot adjust anymore!

Congrats on your decision. You seem like a real hoot! :)

Edited by RJ'S/beginning

Welcome Donald your taste buds does changed after surgery LOL, things I use to love to eat before surgery I cant even stand the smell lol, have you tried other Protein drinks? I am drinking premiere Protein without any problems as well as occasional Isopure thats already mix . Congrats on your choice to be healthy and I agree with your doctor as time progress you will have more energy, have you tried walking for at least 10 - 15 minutes per day try that may help with your energy as well. As far as Vitamins I am taking chewables by bariatric advantages cherry flavor and love them. Congrats again on your choice to be healthy and i am sure before you know it your blood pressure will be under control and you will be off those meds as well. By the way I love that fish you caught, pure protein LOL. Keep us posted my friend.

Its funny, I tried the same shakes today and they dont seem AS BAD. I mean, they're bad...but not like OMFG Bad. I'm taking the same chewables that you are, got them from the great Amazon.com Thanks for liking my fish....here is my biggest :)

Fishing7

Hello Don!

The smell changes was the worst for me. I am now 4.5 months post op and it is much better. For the first month I had to switch to the pre made muscle milk. It was a lot thinner. Also I had to have a cup with a lid so I couldn't smell it.

It does get better!

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

I hate not liking the smell or taste of something I used to like. I love eggs but I'm having a really hard time liking them now which sucks because they are such a great Protein source. My bypass was 7/9 and I found the Protein shakes horrible also so it was nice when my doc told me to stop them. I had my bypass in Delaware county PA so right outside Philly. Good luck and every day gets better!

Thanks Joy! PA IN THE HOUSE!!!

Welcome Don. just a question. i too have eaten some strange things but why would you eat Fireflies. They light up the night like little stars showing you your way..lol

Anyway, I never got used to Protein Shakes and hate them to this day. I fear getting sick ( flu ) so that I am forced once again to drink them...yuck!

Your blood pressure most likely will go back down. Don't forget your body is under attack kinda with the new and improved you coming out. It will fight to keep you as healthy as you were before you started WLS. And once it sees it is okay..It will change even more. Our bodies adjust to circumstances as we present them until it cannot adjust anymore!

Congrats on your decision. You seem like a real hoot! :)

I ate them as a dare from my nephews, lol. Thank you for your words, it eases my mind being reminded that I WILL get better.

OMG Donald what a whooper fish, it's a beauty, you must have magic hands and strength of steal to pull that huge fish out of the Water wow.

OMG Donald what a whooper fish, it's a beauty, you must have magic hands and strength of steal to pull that huge fish out of the Water wow.

Lol...yeah it was tough...took me and my buddies 15min to fight him. It was fun. He was 7lbs shy of our state record. I tossed him back

Donald wow lucky fish and that was so nice if you, I'm sure he's happy.