Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm getting my surgery date next week. Last step us my final labs tomorrow. Dates in October I'm told. All the sudden I'm terrified, I heard of 1% and leaks, complications,....,im a single mom I cannot afford any complications! I can't even get life insurance let alone one that would pay for elective surgery complications:(

I have read all the success stories but now I'm wondering if I should find the stories of people in the complications group? I don't know it will change my mind but maybe I'm not as prepared as I thought I was!

I haven't heard anything bad in any of my support groups??

Let me first say CONGRATS on pursuing to care for your healthy future! My advice would be to STAY FOCUSED on the true goal/purpose of this operation. No matter what tasks we take on in life there is always a small percentage of the "what ifs". However, there are a great many pros! Stay positive/calm. Your outcome will turn out great like a many of us!

I guess I don't see what you would gain about reading about complications. My surgeon thoroughly reviewed all the possible complications and risks of surgery with me prior to surgery as part of informed consent. We know the odds going in. I don't want to say "just put on a happy face." I did my living will before surgery, just in case. I'm a realist. Of course there's a chance that something could go wrong. But the chance of everything being fine is SO MUCH greater.

I wish you the best. Focus on what you stand to gain, which is enormous. That's my advice.

First, there are many more risks in staying at an unhealthy weight for the rest of your life than there are with having the surgery, right? That's why you decided to pursue it in the first place. Think about the reasons you started this journey.

Second, there are some very good (and scary) threads that I have read here in this forum about complications, and I am happy to say that all the ones I read ended up with the people saying they did not regret the surgery, even though it may have taken them longer (in some cases a LOT longer) to heal. I don't see anything wrong with reading them and keeping yourself as educated as possible. Just make sure you read them to the end, which is usually a happy one.

Good luck!

I read all those complication stories too.

I read those first ! Ignored everything else on this site. I made sure I documented and understood everything that could go wrong.

And then I sat down with myself and told myself everything that would go right.

Had a nice long chat with my surgeon about the complications. He made me feel a lot better and here I am 40 pounds lighter.

I read them, too. Basically what it came down to for me was that I could either stay at my current weight knowing for sure that I'd have health problems sooner or later, or have the surgery and deal with those risks. And I was TERRIFIED by the time I got there, but also really ready to go. I mean, like, I was half convinced I'd die on the operating table, so I bought all my daughter's school supplies and fall clothes way early, just in case. I was nuts.

And honestly, I have had one or two days where I felt kind of sore, or kind of "bleh," but otherwise, I've been doing fine. I've lost eight pounds since my surgery (I'm ten days out), twenty five pounds since I started pre-op dieting, and I already feel more energetic and optimistic. I'm really glad I did it, even if I did totally freak myself out at first.

I guess what I'm saying is, feeling really nervous and worried is totally normal, especially when your date starts getting closer. Just try to remember that some of the anxiety is rational, and some of it isn't.

There's nothing wrong with going in to this with the full knowledge of what could go wrong. You really should IMO. I mean, there's really no turning back once it's done. Ask your surgoen and staff lots of questions, and make sure they're the right team for you.

I've also asked myself if I could deal with a leak. (apart from death...my biggest fear is a leak). I know a feeding tube, stent, etc would be extremely unpleasant. But I would somehow get through it. My team has had 3 leaks, ever. When I asked why, they said the patients didn't adhere to the post-op dietary instructions. They've also changed the suture line (added reinforcement where it had occurred) and now have VSG patients on 4 weeks of liquids post op. I was pleased that they did not rest with the cause being on the part of the patient, but improved the procedure and post-op recovery.

Just think of why you made this choice in the first place. I'm 5 days out from my date, and certainly have some anxiety about it. I think it's natural. I pray nothing goes wrong. I also know I can't stay like I am and after decades of trying everything else, here I am.

Wishing you all the best.