Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nutty Buddy -needs help

Just had a half of nutty buddy and feel guilty. Its my first sweet treat that wasn't sugar-free. I'm 44 day post op and 32 lbs down. Just need reassurance I'm OK.

Just make sure to throw away the other half and resolve not to eat that treat again for at least a week. (That's my rule anyway). You can't expect to be perfect all the time. Don't let one little slip bring you down. You didn't do much damage at all. Just get back on that horse! Sounds like you're doing great.

You should be just fine, just be careful. Save the sweet treats for when you've reached your goal weight; in the meantime, try to find healthier options that can satisfy you! I'm a severe chocoholic, and it's barely gone away since my surgery. By your post-op, I believe I was on soft foods and was able to stomach sugar-free chocolate popsicles and frozen yogurt. However, even with those, don't go overboard, since they aren't as high in Protein, which is what you need the most of.

As you progress into regular foods (if you aren't already) try getting Protein Bars. I have chocolate Peanut Butter ones (Nature Valley is my savior) and they are to die for. I'm sure they can serve as better (and healthier!) alternatives to nutty buddies.

Good luck!

I'm more of a meat & potatoes foodie but was craving something sweet. I did not want sf fudge pop, yogurt or sf pudding. I've followed my plan exactly and can now have basically any food tolerable. I just didn't know how to feel after the half of nutty buddy. I accounted for it on MyFitnessPal though! Still managed to be under 70 carbs so guess I'll be okay.But do not plan to make it a habit! Thanks for encouraging me even on the small stuff!

I think one of the biggest decisions we have to make as forever WLS patients is how we choose to handle the processed, refined carbs for the REST of our lives. We have the disease of obesity and will have it for the rest of our lives. WLS surgery did not cure us of that. Some people can have the occasional starchy carb and be done with it. I cannot. I do not have an "off switch." The more I eat of that stuff, the more I continue to want. I have chosen to find good, satisfying, healthy substitutes for my old "nutty buddy" type Snacks so I don't feel deprived, and I don't send my body into those crazy carb-craving episodes. That takes months and months (even years) of practice and head work to change those old habits, but for me, was soooo worth it.

Also, I found that when I began to really look at my relationship with food--why I HAD to have that nutty buddy, for instance, and began to look at other ways to satisfy that emotional need I was looking for at the time I reached for that food, my obsession and addiction to the refined carby stuff began to lose its grip on me, and slowly but surely, I began to take POWER over it for the first time in my life, instead of it having the power over me.

But, like I said, this is a long process. Attitude and choices don't change over night. We are not perfect, but we can choose to change our old habits bit by bit, one day, sometimes one hour, at a time. GUILT does not need to be part of our lives any more when we choose to be good to ourselves by using food as medicine and fuel for our bodies. You are still in the stage of mourning the loss of your old familiar starchy carby friends. It doesn't give us permission to go crazy and eat what we want, but it helps us understand that eating that nutty buddy isn't a reason to feel bad about ourselves. Just make a better decision next time knowing that you have some hard work to do in changing your old habits. YOU CAN DO THIS!

P.S. When the nutty buddies are not in the house, you can't choose them. Set yourself up ahead of time with go-to healthy craving Snacks when you just 'HAVE TO HAVE' something sweet. Say goodbye to nutty buddies. You'll be so proud of yourself!

Hey Nutty Buddy....

Personally I try to eat NO foods that say or imply sugar free or DIET and here's why....I've read a few studys that have stated that foods containing Aspertain or any of its derivatives can cause weight gain. I realized this prior to my sleeve surgery and cut out diet soda over 2yrs prior to, quit the sugar free foods about a year prior and went close to vegan diet, I just ate no red meat and rarely any milks or eggs, even soy....My intenstinal system was 100% better than it even had been in my life....So don't beat yourself up on an occassional treat...Check out the Protein amount and most important calories and sodium amounts....I have found some really good Protein Bars that taste just like candy bars and that way I'm killin 2 birds...Right now my sense of taste and smells has intensified and there are some things that are so overly sweat that I can't eat them....And smells, I can smell fires that are 40miles or so away, and I am serious...Another weird one, I liked HiddenValley Ranch salad dressing and now all I taste is garlic from it, I don't taste a ranch dressing anymore...So since surgery weird things have changed....Good Luck to you...Holla if ya wanna chat....

kim :) :)