Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, my surgery is on Aug. 19, so I start my 2 week pre op diet tomorrow and my wife asks me what I want as my last meal before I make a change for the rest of my life. What do I decide? A big heaping bowl of spaghetti and sausage. It's comfort food, it looks so good in a big pile, it tastes good, it reminds me of family meals together, it's cheap to make. It kind of represents how I've eaten for too many years, big helpings of tried and true, high carb, high fat foods. Tomorrow that changes.

What was your last supper?

My last supper WILL be corned beef hash with LOTS of ketchup, oh, and throw in some peas!

I didn't do a food funeral. Food got me where I was(370#, depressed, sleep apnea, low self-esteem, border line high blood pressure), so I didn't want a final celebration.

Mine will be Pasta with chicken and roasted red pepper sauce, bread and spiced oil and maybe a little ice cream for dessert.

Now I'm hungry...

I had quite a few food funerals before I started my 2 week pre-op diet. It was so unnecessary! I still eat some of my favorites, but others, like bread and Pasta, I just don't want any more.

The night before my surgery, after I had followed the pre-op diet perfectly (2 shakes and 1 lean and green meal daily), my doc said, "Go out and have dinner tonight. No restrictions other than no all you can eat buffets and don't over do on red meat." My husband and I looked at him like he was crazy. I asked if he was joking - he wasn't. He said, "Go out and have a great time."

So, there I was thinking about what I wanted...did I want Mexican? Italian? pizza? Wow, it was a hard decision. We decided to go to macaroni Grill...We started with some bread and we ordered an appetizer of stuffed baby peppers. I ordered a Pasta with grilled chicken. Oh my god, it was wonderful. But what I realized about half way thru the dinner was it was awesome because I was with my husband and I wasn't eating very much food. I was eating slowly, savoring every bit, as I had practiced for the previous two weeks. We followed dinner up with two Desserts...we both took a couple of bites of each dessert and left the rest. It was an awesome evening with my husband - we were both scared because I was going into surgery the next morning and we discussed the risks. We didn't know what was going to happen. We were just happy being with each other in that moment. It was awesome.

So, enjoy your last meal - savor it. Most importantly, share it with someone special to you and make it about more than just the food you are consuming.

I had a three week pre-op because of my BMI. I cheated the first weekend (my wife was out of town). I had barbcue ribs, mac n cheese, peach cobbler. I've been good since then, so it balances out to 2 1/2 weeks on my pre-op diet. I have my surgery tomorrow, so its Clear Liquids and Jello all day today.

My wife had her surgery 2 years ago this very week. She was a revision from a lap band, which caused her untold discomfort to a VSG. She had lost so much weight years ago with weight watchers I was against her getting bariatric surgery. But she's turned into Wonder Woman, running marathons and obstacle courses. Time for me to catch up.

Edited by Ken James

Tonight is my "last supper" before the liquid diet. No idea what I want for dinner. I don't want to go over board, just a nice dinner. I thought I'd know what I wanted, but I have no clue. How sad it that? :rolleyes:

I didn't realize I was having a food until it was almost over. I did have a last meal and whats funny is I can really remember what it was. Now that I'm 2 months out I don't miss any of the foods I thought I would miss and I can technically eat anything I want (except steak not allowed for a six months to a year).

To KenJames

Man, I wish I had gone with the mac&cheese. Good Luck Ken!

Edited by vincereautmori

Tonight is my "last supper" before the liquid diet. No idea what I want for dinner. I don't want to go over board, just a nice dinner. I thought I'd know what I wanted, but I have no clue. How sad it that? :rolleyes:

Not sad at all! It kind of says food really isn't that important to you, remember that when the going gets tough. I'm into day 2, really not too bad. Good Luck.

I didn't do a last supper. I'd been working toward permanent lifestyle changes prior to being considered for the surgery, so I didn't see the point in gorging myself.

I didn't do a last supper. I'd been working toward permanent lifestyle changes prior to being considered for the surgery, so I didn't see the point in gorging myself.

I'm not sure about the others but for me my last supper was not to "gorge" myself. I wanted to have one last normal meal before I had more than half my stomach cut out. I actually remember I had 2 slices of pizza from my favorite pizzaria.

Edited by Kissifur

I figured it out. Going out for a nice filet and martini. Not Capital Grille, but second best. Burton's does a good job.

All ready entered in MFP with calories left over.

Wanted something I'd enjoy and not have again for a long time. Looking forward to it now :-)

LOL!

My "last supper" was ... wait for it ...

Grilled tilapia

Steamed broccoli

Rice pilaf

Impressive, huh?

Seriously, I have just been there, done that "last supper" so many times already. Not interested anymore.

Eventually (a year out?) I expect I'll be eating anything I want -- just in moderation. And not all in the same meal.

I'm so ready to get this party started!