Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you see or feel the port?

My name is Lisa and I am about to get the lap band surgery. I have so many questions going on in my head, but one main question is can you see or feel the port. From some of the YouTube videos that I have reviewed they claim that you can. Has anyone else experienced that.

Edited by Ldimples

I'd rather a little port be visible than the huge fat stomach I have at the moment.

I too did a lot of research and have been watching a number of vlogs via YouTube. I asked my surgeon, Dr. Esquivel about it. I was told this depends on the port placement, the amount of weight that is lost and which type of port is used. There used to be only a standard port but there is now a low profile port as well. I was actually given the opportunity to see it in the office with the lapband model. It's pretty flat maybe as thick as 3 quarters. It is slightly wider in circumference. To answer you other question, yes it can be felt. I have a friend who currently has the band and has for the past 8 years. She never got to goal but she is pleased with her loss. You can feel her port. It feels a little like a small marble.

Edited by blacktxbelle

Here is an image I was able to find. My surgeon uses the Allergen band but the low profile port looks like the tan one on the left hanging off the model.

Realize And Lap Band

Edited by blacktxbelle

I think my port must be really deep, because you definitely can't see it (except for the scar), and it's still hard to feel, even after losing 83 pounds. I know that my surgeon apparently had a little trouble with mine during my surgery because it apparently came loose, and it's supposed to be attached to the muscle, so he had to go in again and attach it more securely to the muscle. I always have to do a crunch in the office when I'm getting a fill for him to be able to even feel where it is. I guess I'm lucky. Maybe I won't be someone that has to have it repositioned after I've lost all my weight.

I have always been able to feel my port but it really wasn't visible(other than the scar) until I'd lost most of my weight. I'm 12 lbs from goal now and you can see it and feel it but it's not visibly noticeable when I'm wearing clothing. And, as someone else mentioned, I'd much rather have my port be visible than all of the weight I was carrying around when I started this journey. Also, I have the standard port. If it becomes really noticeable and is bothersome, it can always be changed to the low profile port.

I can feel my port -- the marble analogy above is a good one -- but even though I've lost a lot of my Winnie-the-Pooh belly and am exercising a lot it isn't sticking out or anything. I don't really think people will be looking at my stomach that closely -- I certainly hated that when it was a great big belly and I won't want it happening when I'm at goal either. Eyes up here, please!

I can definitely see and feel my port. I'm actually very proud of that as the more weight I have lost the more prominent it has become. I don't wear bikinis or anything so it's not an issue. I like to cup my fingers around my port to remind me where I am now versus where I came from. I call my band Simon as In "Simon says"

I am only 1 1/2 months out from surgery, but day 1 I could feel the port. I agree, the marble analogy is spot on. It is not an obnoxious lump you can see, but you can feel it. I also agree that no one will notice but you. It is worth having a small lump for the rewards the lap band will provide.

Edited by Weeviegurl

Mine is beside my arm pit. Can't notice it at all. I haven't read of anyone else having port placement like mine.

Wow, Nolansnana! I haven't heard of that. Mine is just to the left of my belly button...about 2" over.

The port is supposed to be anchored to the abdominal muscle.....which would be below layers of fat and skin....as you loose fat, it becomes more towards the surface.....

I have lost all belly fat, and there is only the skin layers covering my port. there fore yo can see it as plain as day...every nook and cranny, including the tubing running out the side for a few inches before it goes deep.

As much as I want to show off my body, I choose not to wear shirts that are too tight because you will see a big lump....

but as someone said, it's a small price to pay for getting a new body and a new life....would I rather be fay and unhealthy both physically and mentally - socially and not have a exposed port? NO WAY!