Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I learned the hard way (I usually do) that hydration is seriously important post bariatric surgery! I am 5 months post-op and my job involves walking a lot in a big county hospital. I just recently changed my work shift from swing (day-evening) to deep nights and my workload increased significantly overnight. I did not take the time to stay hydrated and over the past month, I would go as much as 10 hours without even needing to urinate. This is not a good thing.

Segue to this past weekend as I was just discharged from the hospital on Sunday following my first, and dear lord hopefully last, episode of kidney stones. I cannot even begin to describe the pain involved with this lovely endevor but suffice it to say, I now prioritize fluids over everything! Fortunately, I was able to pass the buggers without surgery but I am here to tell you, this was not my idea of a good time! We are told to prioritize Protein as far as macronutrients, and this is still very important, but recognize that because we make this alteration to our diet, fluids take even more priority...you would think as a medical professional I would have not been such a knucklehead and remembered this little tidbit of data :P It took 7 liters of saline before my urine started to lighten up so I know this problem did not happen overnight.

For those of you struggling to get your fluids in very early post-op, that is normal and it will take time but continue to persevere. For those of us a bit farther out, I hope this information prevents you from dealing with this in the future!

Thanks for this! I often forget to drink during the day, and this is the kind of reminder I need to drink more often. Kidney stones definitely do not sound fun! :(

I hadn't even thought about kidney stones. I had an incident at the amusement park a few weeks ago in the evening. It wasn't even that hot out, but it was humid and I got dehydrated. Nausea, fatigue, cold sweats even after 2 bottles of G2 when I got home. NOT fun. Scared the crap out of me actually. I'm much more mindful about hydration now!

Thank you for the reminder and the talent in which you presented it...I will think twice before deciding I drank enough liquids at 32 oz....

Hope to hear from you again....Your a hoot! :)

RJ, I cried enough over the weekend to fill buckets so I figure some humor was due. I will admit, I am not the model patient when it comes to some of my instructions (I am rabid about logging my intake but that is it), I usually take a Centrum Vitamin and extra thiamin as well as an additional B complex Vitamin but I don't take Calcium and my Fluid intake was god awful...but this was a giant wake-up call. Because of the stones, I am not restarting my Calcium as my last set of labs were in the rock-star range without it, but fluids are my new BFF! It was also a good reminder not to become jaded towards my own patients when they are admitted-being in the hospital kinda sucks so I now have an even greater appreciation for staying out ;)

There are all kinds of equations to figure out optimum Fluid intake but a simple rule of thumb is, keep your urine as clear as Water and you should be golden, er pardon the pun >.> Additionally, if you are not having to empty your bladder every 2 hours, then up the intake (disclaimer: this is provided you are human, have normal renal function, are not at a public fairground, or have other instructions from your personal care provider)...Blessings to all, and to all a good night.

<drops the mic>

RJ, I cried enough over the weekend to fill buckets so I figure some humor was due. I will admit, I am not the model patient when it comes to some of my instructions (I am rabid about logging my intake but that is it), I usually take a Centrum Vitamin and extra thiamin as well as an additional B complex Vitamin but I don't take Calcium and my Fluid intake was god awful...but this was a giant wake-up call. Because of the stones, I am not restarting my calcium as my last set of labs were in the rock-star range without it, but fluids are my new BFF! It was also a good reminder not to become jaded towards my own patients when they are admitted-being in the hospital kinda sucks so I now have an even greater appreciation for staying out ;)

There are all kinds of equations to figure out optimum Fluid intake but a simple rule of thumb is, keep your urine as clear as Water and you should be golden, er pardon the pun >.> Additionally, if you are not having to empty your bladder every 2 hours, then up the intake (disclaimer: this is provided you are human, have normal renal function, are not at a public fairground, or have other instructions from your personal care provider)...Blessings to all, and to all a good night.

<drops the mic>

Actually after a while when your body begins to use every bit of Water you ingest you will not urinate so often. I found that to be so when i was not sleeved. They always had trouble getting my bladder full enough to take tests...lol

But now i find water tastes mostly bad..And it is quite the drag to get it in....So i finally bought some flavors for it and it seems to have helped......I used to love water with a passion....

I am so sorry for all of your troubles..i can't imagine the pain of a spouse being so ill...I have no idea how i would handle it. I think i like it much better that I am always having health issues.... go figure...

My best to you and don't be a stranger...We are here and I am here for you...PM me anytime hun! I have a big ear.....

You poor thing!!!! I've had repeated bouts of kidney stones over the years--and usually I can't pass them on my own, sadly. Thank you for the Water reminder! I have only had one stone since surgery and it was much smaller than my usual ones and I did pass it on my own. I think that was most likely due to keeping up on my liquids post op! I haven't been as good recently so I needed that reminder!!!

Hope you are feeling better!!! They are absolutely the worst! Worst than my gallbladder attacks, worse than childbirth!!!

Hydration is so important! I also learned the hard way. 3 weeks after surgery I had real Constipation issues. I know, another issue I had to learn the hard way. I tried to resolve the C problem via Benefiber and Muralax. No luck. So my PCP recommended Duralax and an enema. Well after I lost all fluids due to use of these products I unfortunately did not replace the lost fluids along with I did not even get in the recommended Water to begin with. Within a few days I could not walk 2 feet without total exhaustion. Yup, ended up in the ER and thousands of dollars spent for them to ultimately tell me I was severely dehydrated. Needless to say, I take Benefiber daily and drink a minimum of 64oz of water each day. That was two weeks ago. I am just now getting my strength back. Long story short...DRINK WATER!!!