Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

RNY - how are you feeling?

You're probably right. I know I'm not getting enough Water in. I'm trying like hell, but just not getting it. Partially because of the discomfort it causes with every sip. So, the cure to my discomfort is causing me discomfort. I can't win!

RNY - 7/21/14. -35 lbs in 25 days. Struggled with hospital onset Pnuemonia immediately following discharge. Other than that, no real issues. I did the Water thing, 3 ounces every 30 minutes til I got 60 ounces or so in. 3rd week, i began eating soft foods, pureed, and still continue to do so, about five 3 ounce servings throughout the day. I usually treat myself to a sugar free Jello, pudding or ice cream bar just because I can. I've been walking on average 5 to 6 miles a day since August 1st. I've dropped from 2XL clothes to L. My energy level has increased and difficult walks are not so difficult anymore. As far as the food intake, I pace myself and don't drink while eating. Constipation is not an issue....however, not having that much in the stomach, really doesn't require a bowel movement a day. I go 4 to 5 days in between. Sorry, some of you are having issues with the recovery - but you can and will get through it. Be patient. Don't give up and do as your doctor instructed. In the end, you'll be tickled spitless you did this. I am. God Bless and Best wishes to all! Phil :)

I have never posted here before, and I am not quite sure of the etiquette of posting, so I hope that I do this correctly. Please forgive any mistakes. I have been reading posts now for about 3 months, but never quite had the nerve to post out of fear that something might go wrong, or I might somehow "jinx" myself. I had bypass r&y August 12th in Cheyenne, Wyoming and was released the next afternoon for the three hour trip home. I have lost 9 pounds in 5 days. Yesterday I managed to get in 50 ounces of Water and 55 grams of Protein. I go back to work Monday for professional development classes (I am a third grade teacher.) I totally understand what many of you are saying about being tired. I am still taking pain medicine about 3 times a day at the minimum dose, and I usually take a nap at about three in the afternoon. I am walking around the block two to three times a day and I need to increase that. I still can't sleep on my side which makes me really sad, and I really miss the horses, but I can't handle the four wheeler trip down the ranch road. I have found that warm liquids are my friend!! Anything cold makes my stomach/chest area ache really bad!! I used to hate drinking warm stuff, but now I am in love with herbal tea. Water is actually my best friend right now because my mouth is so dry???? I am still on Clear Liquids, so getting all of my protein in has been a huge challenge. The Protein Drinks and shots make me want to gag, and the thickness of liquids really sets off my stomach. I also cry....a lot....for no reason...is that normal???

I have never posted here before, and I am not quite sure of the etiquette of posting, so I hope that I do this correctly. Please forgive any mistakes. I have been reading posts now for about 3 months, but never quite had the nerve to post out of fear that something might go wrong, or I might somehow "jinx" myself. I had bypass r&y August 12th in Cheyenne, Wyoming and was released the next afternoon for the three hour trip home. I have lost 9 pounds in 5 days. Yesterday I managed to get in 50 ounces of Water and 55 grams of Protein. I go back to work Monday for professional development classes (I am a third grade teacher.) I totally understand what many of you are saying about being tired. I am still taking pain medicine about 3 times a day at the minimum dose, and I usually take a nap at about three in the afternoon. I am walking around the block two to three times a day and I need to increase that. I still can't sleep on my side which makes me really sad, and I really miss the horses, but I can't handle the four wheeler trip down the ranch road. I have found that warm liquids are my friend!! Anything cold makes my stomach/chest area ache really bad!! I used to hate drinking warm stuff, but now I am in love with herbal tea. Water is actually my best friend right now because my mouth is so dry???? I am still on clear liquids, so getting all of my protein in has been a huge challenge. The protein drinks and shots make me want to gag, and the thickness of liquids really sets off my stomach. I also cry....a lot....for no reason...is that normal???

All of that sounds pretty normal to me as far as what I have read and gone through myself.....

Hi Becklinn I had my surgery Aug. 8th everything you are feeling is exactly what I have been through as far as post op you are adding driving distance and other obstacles as well. My doctor still has me in liquid I go back to see him on Monday. I find the ready made shakes are easier to get down rather than the powder. I also find that hot tea all day helps me get the Water in. Each day will get much better for you. Friday was a week for me and I feel so much better I don't nap anymore and the pain gets less..however I am still crying all the time..not so sure how long that will last. LOL Wishing you the very best and a speedy recovery. Good Luck

Hi all, surgery was last Friday. Got home from hospital yesterday. Doing ok I guess. Trying to get down the required 60g of Protein. Can barely do 30g. And Water too?? Ha. Every sip hurts like I'm swallowing a big chunk of meat. Pharmacy is out of protonix until tomorrow afternoon. :(

I'm wondering what a good Soup would be that is high in protein? broth only has 2g. Thx

Having a hard time getting my Proteins in as well. They have me on a 100g daily requirement and am getting roughly half that. The big protein intake for me is supposed to be "double-milk". Basically 8 oz of skim milk with a 1/3 cup of non-fat powdered milk. Only problem is that my taste is messed up for the moment and those glasses of milk are torture to get down.

Will be easier when I get to pureed foods where I can add more protein rich stuff in...but that's 9 more days from now.

I found a website that has a lot of Protein options. They sell sample of protein powders too, so you can try them first. I HATE the Protein Powder smell/taste, but I found that the matrix nectar powders are actually pretty good as long as I don't smell it first. The protein flavor is very mild tasting, so I taste more fruit. They're also not very thick. So far, those are my favorite and are the only thing helping me meet my protein requirements. They also have Soups and things that have protein added. The website is MyBariatricPantry.com if anyone is interested in checking it out :-)

Have you tried the grape flavor yet?

Not yet, but I've tried the wild cherry and crystal sky and they were both good. I also got samples of the Syntrax matrix. I've tried the Cookies n cream and Peanut Butter cookie, but didn't really care for either of them. I tried the strawberries and cream today and that was not bad. You have to mix the syntrax with milk or they are terrible.

Edited by CrashNCamsMom

Is anyone having really raw emotions? Cry easily?

Hello! Yes I have cried too. The last two nights. I had band to bypass revision 7 days ago. I have so much gas. Some discomfort too. By bedtime I need a pain med. I do take a generic prozac for anxiety. I am wondering if the dosage needs t go up because my pouch lets the capsule pass through to fast...