Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On clear liquids but dying to eat something!

I'm a week out from surgery, feeling better, and really, really want to eat. The Protein Drinks are just awful at this point and it's hard to exist on just Vitamin Water and tea. I did a two week liquid pre-op that ended up being closer to three weeks because of a surgery date change so I'm pretty tired of it at this point. Tips for surviving? How long did people really stay on Clear Liquids after the surgery?

I was allowed veggies until two days before my surgery. That helped to chew and crunch.

After surgery, I ate and still do 6 weeks out, SF popsicles. Yogurt was my best friend for several weeks. It all depends what sounds and tastes good to you at the time.

Agree with the sugar free Popsicles, my plan was 10 days pre-op (Protein shakes plus on 300 Cal meal), 3 days Clear liquids, 1.5 weeks Full Liquids, 2 weeks Soft/Pureed foods, Day 28 Regular Foods.

I would have gone crazy with one more day of clear liquids, I tried to have savory liquids for lunch and dinner, and the popsicles were life savers

I am three weeks out. Can manage liquids and some mashed potatoe. When can I eat real food?

At that point in my journey my Doc did not care about anything but getting my Water in. Calories and Protein did not matter. On day 4 after surgery I was allowed to consume basically anything that would go threw a straw. I enjoyed campbells vegatable Soup ran through a blender and greek yogurt. I did not do well with creamed Soups, but some people do. Get your water in and dont eat anything that might get caught in your brand new staple line was basicall my Doc's advise. The grass does get greener for you soon. I really enjoyed jumping into squishy and then solid food as permitted. shakes are a thing of the past, although I never had a problem with them. The only food I have had an issue with are apples so far.

I'll preface this by saying each surgeon have different recommendations, and those recommendations may be specific to your medical condition. I was on clear liquids (tea, broth, Isopure clear, Gatorade G2, etc) for 4 days post op. I graduated to full liquids (up to the thickness of thinner Protein shakes) for another 10 days before graduating to mushy food for 21 days. I will tell you that it may be very painful for you to eat anything. In my mushy phase, certain fishes mashed with yogurt had a hard time going down. It feels like there's a dagger stuck in your chest and I got the "slimies", where juices trying to get the food down came up my esophaegus and into my mouth. It was rather unpleasant, so I can't really imagine moving to another food stage before my doctor authorised it.

I know it's difficult going so long w/o chewing, but stay strong! It's worth it!

After 1 week after surgery I am allowed mash potatoes with a little gravy. Purée meat, fruit or vegatables (cooked & purée). I'm at 2 weeks now. A few days ago I had cream of wheat banana flavored. I had beef strips purée with light mayo. Tip: heat the purée meat. Tastes better. Had a couple no sugar fudgsicle and ton of sf popsicles. Also - try rockin refuel chocolate milk found in grocery stores. If u like chocolate milk, this is very close. Has 30g of Protein and 9g of carbs. So much better than shakes. But ONLY chocolate. The other flavors have 50g of sugar & 20g of Protein.

I guess every program is different. I was only pure liquid 1 week before & 1 week after