Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New girl in need of friends!

Hi everyone.

I'm relatively new on my journey. After years of visits to my GP, earlier this year I was referred to the dietician.

That appointment was in March. She instantly decided surgery was the option for me, and after 3 months of weight tracking and meetings, I am on a waiting list to be referred to a surgeon. Apparently that takes 8 weeks. The hospital I am being referred to only opts for bypass or sleeve surgery. I feel sleeve will be best for me, but apparently that decision ultimately lies with my surgeon!

Is anyone else at this stage in their process? Apparently I should be looking to have had the operation early in the new year - should all go well. But I am worried what the coming weeks leading to surgery will hold?

My issue is the losing weight, it has been all my life. I've always been conscious of what I eat and I love exercise - I just lack the confidence to step in a gym on my own, but once I'm there I love it!

When I was 15 I was 15st, 18 I was 18st, and it's been like that as long as I can remember. I'm 24 now and have been battling to keep my weight down, I'm currently at 22st with a BMI of 48..

I suppose I'm on here to find someone to talk to who is in the same boat as me, I find it so difficult to talk about my weight, but I have so many questions!

Most, if not all, of us are in the same boat. You've come to the right place. You'll find tons

of information, experience and support available. I've learned so much! I hope to get sleeved

either in early September or October. Best of luck in your journey!

That's great thank you!

Oh wow that's exciting, not long to go then! So when did your journey start and what kind of things have you been doing? How was the surgery decision made for you?

Sorry for all the questions!

I am in the waiting boat too! I started in April with my GP and have been to several nutrition visits, surgeon consult, endoscopy and psychological testing. I think they were able to submit to my insurance last week so the waiting is killing me. Next if approved will be another nutrition visit and then surgery date. Maybe another surgeon visit not sure. I hope for September !

Good luck to you! You have made a monumental decision to take control of you health and your weight; good for you!

This site is a wonderful place to ask questions and read about others' experiences. There are a lot of caring and supportive people here who will be there for you. :)

I can completely understand how you feel about going to the gym. Before my bypass surgery, I was too self-conscious to set foot in a gym. I started walking with another friend who had bypass surgery (5 weeks after me) prior to surgery and would do exercises at home. Once I had the surgery and had lost about 30% of my excess weight, I felt a bit more comfortable working out around other people, so then joined a gym. I go now 4-5 mornings a week and go to a deep Water aerobics class at the pool two nights a week.

If you're feeling too self-conscious to go to the gym now, maybe you could try what I did. After surgery, and as the weight comes off, you will find that you have so much more energy than you ever did. This should help motivate you to get into the gym. :)

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress! Please feel free to add me as a friend as well.

<p><span style="font-family:'comic sans ms', cursive;"><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:#4b0082;"><strong>Good luck to you! You have made a monumental decision to take control of you health and your weight; good for you!</strong></span></span></span></p> <p> </p> <p><span style="font-family:'comic sans ms', cursive;"><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:#4b0082;"><strong>This site is a wonderful place to ask questions and read about others' experiences. There are a lot of caring and supportive people here who will be there for you. :) </strong></span></span></span></p> <p> </p> <p><span style="font-family:'comic sans ms', cursive;"><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:#4b0082;"><strong>I can completely understand how you feel about going to the gym. Before my bypass surgery, I was too self-conscious to set foot in a gym. I started walking with another friend who had bypass surgery (5 weeks after me) prior to surgery and would do exercises at home. Once I had the surgery and had lost about 30% of my excess weight, I felt a bit more comfortable working out around other people, so then joined a gym. I go now 4-5 mornings a week and go to a deep Water aerobics class at the pool two nights a week. </strong></span></span></span></p> <p> </p> <p><span style="font-family:'comic sans ms', cursive;"><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:#4b0082;"><strong>If you're feeling too self-conscious to go to the gym now, maybe you could try what I did. After surgery, and as the weight comes off, you will find that you have so much more energy than you ever did. This should help motivate you to get into the gym. :)</strong></span></span></span></p> <p> </p> <p><span style="font-family:'comic sans ms', cursive;"><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:#4b0082;"><strong>Good luck and keep us posted on your progress! Please feel free to add me as a friend as well. </strong></span></span></span></p>

Thank you for that message it's great to speak to like minded people!!

I know, the issue is, I love exercise, I was on all my school teams and I'm an active person. On paper, I'm healthy, low BP, cholesterol etc, and I can keep up with most at circuit training.. I just weigh a ridiculous 10stone more than them!!

How has your weight loss been? It must be the biggest boost ever seeing the pounds drop off!!

Yep, it's been a wonderful feeling watching my weight come down. I've had a fairly smooth ride, with only a couple of very minor bumps in the first month after surgery (though nothing that required a trip to the doctor, thank goodness!). Hopefully, everything goes very smoothly for you as well. :)

Yes I am getting started. I have orientation tomorrow. Nervous and exciting at the same time.

That's great thank you!

Oh wow that's exciting, not long to go then! So when did your journey start and what kind of things have you been doing? How was the surgery decision made for you?

Sorry for all the questions!

PLEASE--- don't apologize for asking questions... that's why this site exists!

I had been wanting this for a long while, but my primary doctor said, __ Hospital will do the surgery and leave you... and I don't want to have to handle the complications. I must admit, that set me back a bit. I also didn't feel comfortable with the gastric bypass. It seemed to drastic for me to have my insides re-routed and have dumping syndrome. Unfortunately, I listened too long and, meantime, became diabetic. In that cross over from pre-diabetic to being diabetic, around half of the pancreatic islet cells die off and don't make any more insulin. Then I saw an episode of My 600lb. Life. The doctor does surgery for people that are very heavy. He usually requires people to lose a significant amount of weight on their own before he does their surgery. However, one woman's condition was so dire, that he said he couldn't wait for her to lose weight. He would do a "less invasive" type of surgery called the gastric sleeve. Say WHAT?! Never heard of it. I was off and running doing the research and liked what I saw.

I went to a nearby hospital that is a bariatric Center of Excellence to hear a presentation on the 3 main types of bariatric surgery and brought my hubby along. He told me he was glad he went; if he hadn't, he wouldn't have felt comfortable. I was sick and tired of being sick and tired and also had sleep apnea and non-alcoholic fatty liver. For the fatty liver, I found out that I was headed towards needing to have an insulin pump all the time. Also, to get my liver working well again, I needed to lose ALL the excess weight AND keep it off. I knew from past experience that wasn't likely. The chances of doing that were 5%--- NOT good odds! The sleeve sounded like a great effective option. So, I made my decision and stuck to it. I'm about 4 months into the 6 month process of qualifying for insurance. Hopefully, my surgery will be approved.

Alot of it isnt as bad as you will imagine it to be. Remind your doctor to track your weight and bmi EVERY TIME you go there. So you wont get rejected. The worst Ive had to do was a sleep study. Talk to your fr thats doing your surgery. Tell tjem wjich one YOU want. See if they will consider it.