Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My pouch has made me a Vegetarian...and I'm okay with it

I'm just curious on how many folks have given up on meat and follow a vegetarian diet. I have had to give up meat, which I loved before surgery, because it just does not sit well in Winnie the pouch. Since I cannot tolerate meat anymore, and actually crave veggies (I used to not like veggies before surgery), I would love to hear if this is common and if you were ever able to tolerate meat again. And how do you get your Protein in without meat. Protein shakes don't sit well either, by the way.

I had RNY on March 5, 2014, and had some complications for the first 3 months and was in and out of the hospital several times.

I'm a vegetarian..I eat a lot of yogurt, cheese, nuts, veggie burgers and tofu. I like the fake sausage patties from Morningstar for Breakfast.

@@Lthomas were you a vegetarian before your surgery? I tried the Morningstar patties and I didn't really like them, but I love the "chicken" nuggets and patties. I've also discovered Amy's spinach pizza. Yummy!! I bought some tofu to try soon just not sure how to cook it.

I wish I could swap to a vegetarian diet, but I'm soy intolerant, and it just seems like a helluva lot of work if you can't eat soy (I know there are other ways to get Protein as a vegetarian, but my NUT said it would be really difficult to get the recommended protein)

That said...I eat little meat, because very little meat agrees with me. Fish, eggs, cheese and refried Beans are my friends. Sometimes chicken. But no beef or pork. I guess I would be a pescatarian (pity I really don't like fish, but my stomach tolerates it, so I eat it)

Yea, I've been a vegetarian most of my life! I also like the veggie soy crumbles, add a little taco seasoning or mix it in with marinara, eat with spaghetti squash. Yum!

Having Lap Band surgery, it soon became difficult to eat Red meat, and my Dr. concurred it would.....

For years, my cardiologist and other Dr.'s have been trying to get to to cut back on my meat consumption for health reasons....

Seeing how Red Meat is not very band friendly, and it was something other people wanted me to do, I stopped eating it altogether....that has been over 3 years now.

I would not say I am a vegetarian, I still eat chicken and fish...but since I am eating so little due to the surgery, I am very conscious of what I do eat and I am eating less and less chicken....

Some people become vegetarians - vegans for moral reasons, for me it is purely for health reasons and I have been able to tell the difference....

BTW, I also cannot eat things made from flour/dough such as breads, Pasta, etc...no rice either...

Edited by B-52

I tried the Boca crumbles last night with taco seasoning and ate it as a lettuce wrap! OMG, it was so yummy and I ate it again today for lunch. I made tortillas for my family and let them eat it without telling them it wasn't meat. and they loved it and couldn't believe they had another meat free supper. The vegetarian lifestyle is fitting my new lifestyle very well and I'm at the point where I don't really miss meat or chicken anymore. I am still exploring fish options because I've never really liked fish.

I am allergic to shrimp but would love to try in case I am no longer allergic, but I'm kinda scared.