Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm on mushies now & I feel good a week out of surgery. One incision is sore, the rest look almost healed. I've been noticing, because I'm no longer drinking my Preop shakes, drinking broth....that I find I'm inadvertently taking bites of food when I'm cooking for my family!!!! It drives me crazy! I also noticed that I drink Water fast at times. These natural food actions are so hard to break!!! I put something in my mouth and chew it up and am like....omgosh..no cant eat that! :X

Yeah I know the feeling! I was cooking my favorite dish for my sister today and just had a lick off the spoon for the flavor and just melted. I am glad the sauce was great but I regret just tasting it.

I love my homemade spinach and beets with a white wine sauce in chicken. Melted with Brie cheese. Yummy! Sorry! I am hungry just reading some of these posts too

I'm in full liquids this week.

Keep in touch

Laylerna

On another side of this quandary, you may well find your list of 'old favorite foods' undergoes a severe reorganization.

One of my favorites, Pasta w/various sauces, is relegated to the bottom of the list.

In fact almost any food with added sauces simply are undesirable these days.

It was a tremendous discovery, to suddenly realize that so much of what I thought I liked, was the result of clever sauces and unhealthy gooey stuff added to make what I otherwise didn't care to eat, appear to be palatable.

There's lots of calories in sauces, and 'ketchup/catsup' is largely high fructose corn syrup....which simply fires my system into high-food-lust mode regardless of hunger/satiety/nutritional need or rational explanations.

The first time you get really 'stuck' the obvious remedy of changing that 'eating fast' habit will undergo its own transformation.

In my own transition-to-solids phase, I discovered the pleasures of nib-nib-nibbling a soda cracker in such a way it to literally 5 minutes to consume it.

Other changes will become obvious: gulping fluids to wash down globs of non-chewed stuff to make way for more was a startling change: I took easily to no-fluids-with-meals.

Another Big Change...was to learn to enjoy DINING rather than focus of EATING. The re-adaptation and recognition that 'social events' are accompanied by dining, rather than 'over eating justified by a bunch of people' milling around under some pretext.

Maybe it's just me.

Edited by Jack

I cook a lot and have a larger family. Sometimes when you cook you have to taste test. When it is something I either am not suppose to eat or don't want to eat, I just quietly spit it out into the trash can/napkin. This way I am not wondering if I have it right without tasting but still not wasting calories or eating what I should not at the time.

Hope I didn't gross anyone out. It is just something that works for me.

Colleen

The phase between surgery and getting into the Green Zone was one of the hardest things I had to do in my life....Bandster hell for sure.....

But I can say from first hand experience, staying the course, getting my band adjusted properly and not backing down, it has be the EASIEST thing I could have ever done in terms of weight loss....and still is to this day....don't even think about the band throughout the day, I eat what, when and where and how much I want (only successful veterans can understand that statement)

Like the lyrics to the song goes,,,"you've got to go through hell if you want to get to heaven".....

Hang in there, it's early, and keep in mind this thing does work, if you let it....

Edited by B-52

Lol@@Colleen! I do that too!

I think one of my biggest problems so far is drinking slow. Especially with it being so hot here!

Even a popsicle, I eat it so fast, I gotta try something else to slow myself down :( I keep remembering Slow!!! After I've eaten all my food.< /p>

I use this app called "eat slow" it really has helped me and I'm only 2 weeks post op. U can set ur own intervals between bites.

Edited by momma2vincent

Hmmm..have to check that out.

Wow. Just downloaded that app. No wonder I get stuck so often. I let time go by (without looking) to see how long I'm actually waiting between bites. 35-40 seconds! I couldn't believe it. I had no idea 60 seconds took so long without being on a treadmill :) Any time I'm home and eating, I'm using this! Thank you!

Should've known there's an app for that!!! lol thanks!!