Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Another Band Fail

Hi all, I am new to this group but looking forward to participating. Here's my story in a nutshell:

I had a Realize band placed in February of 2009. My starting weight was 268. The band was fantastic and I lost weight steadily, with the exception of a few months when I realized how easy Cookies were to eat. In December of 2010, I hit the 100 pounds lost mark, I also found out I was pregnant that same week.

At about 4 weeks pregnant I had a really nasty 3 day stomach flu. A few days after recovering from that, I started throwing up again. I could keep food down for a few hours, but it was all coming back up. I lost another 15 pounds in 2 weeks. I thought it was just severe morning sickness, even though in 5 previous pregnancies I'd never had morning sickness. I saw my Ob who told me to immediately get my band unfilled and if I was still throwing up the next day he'd have to admit me into the hospital.

I got a complete unfill and immediately felt better, but with no restriction and absolutely no mental/physical/spiritual preparedness for no restriction, my love affair with all things bread and pastry renewed like we were never apart. I gained 40 pounds in the first 4 months of my pregnancy. I managed to gain back a little control, but ended up gaining about 60 pounds before I had my daughter in August of 2011. The weight gain took a great emotional toll on me, but I just knew that 6 weeks postpartum I'd get a fill and be right back on track... You know where this is going, right?

In October of 2011 I got my band refilled. Pre-pregnancy, my fill level was at 7.2cc in an 11 cc band. We filled it to 3.5 cc and 3 weeks later filled it to 5 cc. I had very little restriction and it just didn't seem right. I'd also started getting heartburn. I went back a few weeks later and we filled it to 5.5. That lasted 24 hours, I had to go back in for an unfill and we went down to 5.2 so I could get Water down. I still didn't have much restriction, but I did have terrible heartburn and vomiting in the middle of the night. I lived with this for a few months until I couldn't stand it and went back in and had .5 cc removed. This made the heartburn manageable with daily meds and tums always at hand, but there was no restriction. I could eat all the bread, Pasta, rice that I wanted.

I knew I had a slip, but didn't have insurance to cover bariatrics, so I lived with it. I tried eating less, exercise, weight watchers, even a juice fast but I've gained 20 more pounds on top of the baby weight.

Fast forward to now and I finally have insurance to cover bariatrics. I went in a few weeks ago and had my upper GI. It showed a slip above the band, virtually my entire stomach is above the band, which is why there is no restriction felt, but the band was so tight that flow into the rest of my digestive tract was severely restricted. Food just sat there for a really long time, and the results of that we're just kind of gross. We unfilled the band completely to see if the slip would fix itself, although, we all knew what that result would be. The pregnancy hadn't caused the slip, the stomach flu had and 9 months of an empty band hadn't helped it unslip.

I got that confirmation this week. My band is still slipped and the restriction is still severe even empty. I'm frustrated, but quite relieved that there has been a real issue this whole time and it wasn't just me. We're now going through the process of getting insurance approval to revise to a sleeve and I couldn't be happier.

I am really sorry to hear about your struggle and am glad to see you are on the road to recovery. However, this being considered a "band fail" seems hardly fair. There seems to be a lot going on that lead to the fail of it. One is that we are supposed to wait 12-18 months before conceiving to allow maximum healing and weight loss. Any red zone signs should be called in to the Dr. Immediately. And although I understand not having the insurance coverage makes things difficult, that is like being annoyed that a toothache turned into a cavity and didn't wait for insurance. There are reasons the band slipped, however I don't think it can be chalked up to "just another band fail."

Actually, the term "band fail" came straight from my surgeon. The pregnancy occurred 22 months after my surgery and had nothing to do with the band slip. The band slip was due to severe vomiting for several days as a result of stomach flu, also a quote from my surgeon.

I spent several thousand dollars on doctor visits and only stopped when we got to the band to a safe (but non restricting) level and I knew the next steps were going to be barium swallows and surgery, well beyond my level of affordability.

It wasn't my intent to pass any kind of judgement or offend anyone, I was merely sharing my story.

Ah, the additional information changes things then. My apologies. I hope everything works out! Are you considering additional WLS sooner rather than later? I saw you mention the sleeve. Does your new ins have different requirements?

Edited by Averiex

Wow my story is pretty close to yours. Banded in 2008 lost 121 lbs got pregnant and had my son in 2011. And boy did all the issues start. Went thru many upper GI's, infill, fills etc. I put back on 100 lbs in the last 3 years. I finally had revision surgery to the sleeve on 6/18 and this past month has been great. Down 27 lbs, can eat and keep food down, no acid reflux or heartburn issues. So wish I didn't wait so ling but hey I'm back on the path to lose the weight now. My Dr was worried at what type do scar tissue I,would have nut thank god there was not much and he was able to remove it all, the biggest was my port was embedded in my stomach muscle and that has been the spot that is still a little tender.

Good luck and praying you get approved for revision.

People throw the term "Vomiting" around here loosely, in relation to getting stuck..it's NOT the same.

I have not vomited since way before surgery, but I do dread and fear the day I actually do.....especially if it's consistent say from the flu, or food poisoning or similar....or sea sickness...

I am prepared to have all the Fluid taken out in the event it does happen....

I was very sick last week and had to go to the ER and was admitted because I was severely dehydrated and had severe swelling in my esophagus above my band. I had to have my band completely unfilled due to the swelling. I'm so bummed. I have to wait until Aug 4th to get another fill. I'm so scared I'm gonna put on weight. I was overfilled and had been only eating a few tablespoons of food a day. I could only keep down Cookies and chips , but I rarely are that stuff. Has anyone else have this happen? In hind sight I won't get that tight again.