Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have now followed this forum for a while with great interest. I have had lapband surgery 7 years ago, lost 35kg (77 pound) had major problems got that fixed and major problems again. So here I am, morbidly obese, the 77 found me again and then some and I am in extreme agony and pain. Everything hurts, back, feet (especially), hips, ego and dignity - name it. It also does not help that I am extremely short. Tonight is a bad night and I need some support. I have made the decision to change to bypass and see the dr on 16 July. I cannot go on like this. I cannot walk 100 metres without crying out in pain. A question to all of you that had more than 150 pounds to lose, were you in so much pain too and how much did you lose before you started to feel less pain? When did you feel ok to excercise and how much did you do. People just say walk around the block, that sounds like a marathon to me. Have you also hated

any form if fitness training and how did you overcome that obstacle. I just want to feel like me again.

Hi there, I've just joined too. Good on you for making the decision to see your dr. - you've not given up so don't despair yet!

I am looking to lose about 50kgs which is around 110 pounds, and I hate exercise but once I force myself to do it I actually feel good afterwards. Like it's horrifyingly awful while you're doing it but I feel proud to have done it. I have a Personal Trainer who was obese too and she is great, pushes me just far enough but doesn't leav eme unable to walk the next morning! If you cna afford it I think PT is the way to go for exercise.

Edited by sarahkath

Thanks Sarahkath, it sure helps to know I am not alone. Long journey but I know it will be worth it. Good luck for you too!

I can sooo relate. Five years ago I was over 320 pounds and I cried as I walked around my yard for my first exercise. I slowly lost weight and pain. I began on the elliptical the first month. It probably was 3 months and 50 or so pounds before I felt significant drop in pain. The next two years were great. I lost 135 pounds and LOVED working out. I was running for the first time in my life. I was biking over 50 miles a trip. Mountain biking became a passion at 50. Endorphins are wonderful things. I had a significant hip injury and exercise came to a halt. I was devastated, depressed and ate. I got back up to the 270's and reinsured my hip just due to the weight. Knees kill me, back pain is affecting my other passion of gardening. About 2 months ago I said enough and made first appt at a Bariatric clinic. I have until December or January until surgery and can't wait. Memories are fresh of how good my body felt. I never made it to goal but I felt great in the 180's.

I know this time I have done additional damage to my body and arthritis is progressing everywhere so I am sure I will still have some pain. But I know it will be nothing compared to now. I likely will have to have hip surgery again and want to give my hip the best possible situation for recovery.

You are not alone!

I have now followed this forum for a while with great interest. I have had lapband surgery 7 years ago, lost 35kg (77 pound) had major problems got that fixed and major problems again. So here I am, morbidly obese, the 77 found me again and then some and I am in extreme agony and pain. Everything hurts, back, feet (especially), hips, ego and dignity - name it. It also does not help that I am extremely short. Tonight is a bad night and I need some support. I have made the decision to change to bypass and see the dr on 16 July. I cannot go on like this. I cannot walk 100 metres without crying out in pain. A question to all of you that had more than 150 pounds to lose, were you in so much pain too and how much did you lose before you started to feel less pain? When did you feel ok to excercise and how much did you do. People just say walk around the block, that sounds like a marathon to me. Have you also hated

any form if fitness training and how did you overcome that obstacle. I just want to feel like me again.

I am pre op but yeah walking hurts my back hips and ankles. And calves. My friend forced/encouraged me to walk with her last fall for one mile. Took me about a month to recocrrw because the pace was too fast and I pulled something in my foot. Felt like such a failure. Cant wait to be lighter and healthy.

I can sooo relate. Five years ago I was over 320 pounds and I cried as I walked around my yard for my first exercise. I slowly lost weight and pain. I began on the elliptical the first month. It probably was 3 months and 50 or so pounds before I felt significant drop in pain. The next two years were great. I lost 135 pounds and LOVED working out. I was running for the first time in my life. I was biking over 50 miles a trip. Mountain biking became a passion at 50. Endorphins are wonderful things. I had a significant hip injury and exercise came to a halt. I was devastated, depressed and ate. I got back up to the 270's and reinsured my hip just due to the weight. Knees kill me, back pain is affecting my other passion of gardening. About 2 months ago I said enough and made first appt at a Bariatric clinic. I have until December or January until surgery and can't wait. Memories are fresh of how good my body felt. I never made it to goal but I felt great in the 180's. <br><br>

I know this time I have done additional damage to my body and arthritis is progressing everywhere so I am sure I will still have some pain. But I know it will be nothing compared to now. I likely will have to have hip surgery again and want to give my hip the best possible situation for recovery. <br><br>

You are not alone!

Hi Crosby, thank you so much for replying. The hardest thing is when people just think you are too lazy to exercise and not understanding just to walk is painful. Good luck on your journey. In a year's time we will all feel much better I am sure. My hips are killing me even without any "injury" so I cannot even imagine what you must be feeling. Go all of us for having enough courage to say enough is enough.

I have a type of arthritis and I can't do much physical activity without major pain that is one of the reasons I am having surgery. I was just told to build up to it. If I do 10 minutes on the tread mill I have to wear boots on my feet for 30 minutes due to plantar fasciitis pain. My knee grinds every time I take a step. My list could keep going.

I'll be praying for you pain to ease just know that your not alone

I had a lot of back/hip and knee pain pre surgery, i was 336lbs. once i lost about 60 lbs i could work out without too much pain. now that ive lost 140 i can speed walk on the treadmill but running still hurts my hips pretty bad and it takes a couple days to recover from it.