Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Top 10 Post Op Worries in a Pre Op World

Yes, I have a few worries and anxieties about this surgery, as I am sure we all do. I thought I would make a top ten list of my post op worries and would love it if you would share yours as well, so that I can see I am not in this alone. These worries are listed in no particular order:

1. Losing my hair. I already have very thin hair and color it because I am 80% grey. I have been told to avoid coloring it for a few months afterwards, so first I will go grey then bald??

2. Lovenox injections. We all have to be on blood thinners for a week post op and it seems that Lovenox injections are the most commonly prescribed type. I'm not a fan of needles, but not afraid of them. I do have a moderate Essential Tremor in both hands and am fairly sure I would end up stabbing myself before being able to inject myself. I do have someone who will give me the shots, but the whole idea makes me anxious.

3. Gas. When you have laporscopic surgery they pump your abdominal cavity full of gas so they can see what they are doing. This gas is very painful after waking up from surgery, that and Ashley Page (from this forum) just informed me that we pass stinky gas after surgery..great!

4. Catheter. I have never had a catheter.. that I remember anyways.. what if I get a urinary tract infection from it, I know I will deal with it if it happens, but it will just be on top of everything else.

5. Complications.

6. Lack of support or understanding from family friends and coworkers.

7. Dehydration. What if I can't get in all the liquid they want me too each day?

8. I have had problems with my stomach since I was a teenager, I am 45 now. What happens if I have problems with it post operatively? How do they look into your stomach after it has been separated and sealed away from the pouch in a RYBP?

9. Dumping Syndrome. Now, if this happens at home, it happens at home. Home is a safe environment for strange,painful, embarrassing body function things to happen at so I am not worried about that..but what if it happens in public??

10. Loose Skin. How can I prevent it? Is it preventable?

The hair thing. I lost a bunch with thyroid disease. Some has grown back. I plan to get a super cool short cut soon. Hair loss will be less visible. I already take Biotin and will continue. Grey hair..I have been waiting for it..hoping the short cut will show more grey. I think grey hair is beautiful.

Injections and catheter...is what it is. Doable. My knees from being over weight hurt more...lots more.

Gas..everyone farts. My mother in law is 92 and sounds like a motorcycle when she walks....despite that she is 92. Stinky gas..I will finally get revenge on my husband!

Complications...always possible. But the complications from my obesity are definite..there here!

Support: I do have it from the people that matter the most. I HAVE to be confident in my own decision to succeed...others don't.

Dehydration. Sip, sip, sip. Worst that can happen is an IV....see 2.

Stomach. I have IBS and big old hiatal hernia. Gallbladder out already. I can get worse I guess but I honestly don't think it will.

Dumping syndrome..I see that as a Positive now. I will be diligent. If it happens in public...I will deal and move on.

Loose skin..won't kill me. I lost 135 pounds previously...I wore my " bat wings" with honor. I will again. :)

thanks for sharing, Crosby!

Hi Oweemytoe - that's quite a list!

1. hair loss - possible but not inevitable - I'm 4 months out, have continued to dye my hair and no loss yet. Eat your Protein - it helps a lot.

2. Lovenox - I didn't need that for gastric bypass so we all don't have to be on blood thinners!

3. Gas - definitely :)

4. Catheter - didn't have one!

5. Complications - possible but I didn't have any.

6. Support - use this forum - we've all been there and we're all here for you. My advise - don't tell everyone - only a few people that you know will be supportive.

7. Dehydration - as Crosby said "sip, sip, sip"

8. Stomach problems - the old stomach will be thoroughly checked before it's separated. From then on the new "pouch" is your stomach - the old one never sees food again :)

9. Dumping syndrome - do exactly what your doc says and you won't have many worries. I haven't had it.

10. Loose skin - probably inevitable. I have "wings" and will probably have surgery to remove my "apron" when I reach goal.

I understand your concerns but think of all the positives - not all of these things will happen to you.

I'm not quite 4 months removed from surgery, so don't have much for long-term answers, but short term...

1 - I was actually looking forward to the hair loss as an excuse to need to shave my head. At this point I haven't lost any, so don't yet have that excuse. Then again, I've not had any issues getting my daily Protein, so I have to assume that has a lot to do with it.

2 - I didn't need any blood thinners, so unless this is a mandate with your program, maybe you were given some misinformation about everyone having to have it.

3 - This was a fear of mine as well, especially after how terrible this pain was when I had my gall bladder removed years ago. Luckily this time around I didn't have any of that pain. As for passing gas - yep, those first 2 months were a bit aromatic. Luckily once the diet rounds into form, so does that part.

4 - The catheter was actually the most uncomfortable part for me. I know it is a bit different for guys and gals, but they're routine for almost all surgical procedures and in my mind not worth worrying about as there isn't really any way to avoid them if your hospital policy mandates them.

5 - I didn't have any complications, but understand the fear. My mindset was that whatever they could throw at me couldn't be worse than my condition before the surgery, so bring it on.

6 - I had similar fears about support as well. Luckily, I've been able to be open and honest with everyone about the process and those who originally disagreed with my choice have come around. One is now going through the process to have their own surgery, where others have started adopting more of my healthy eating habits. My thought - if they're good people, they'll be good supporters (eventually).

7 - If you make hydration your priority, you won't have any issues. To me this is still a mental game as it takes a very focused effort.

8 - I have no firsthand information with this, but during my classes they mentioned multiple times investigating with scopes, etc... So as Janette mentioned, since this will be your new stomach, that's what they'd need to look at for any issues.

9 - Easy way to prevent anything like this would be to make sure you only try new foods at home. Once you know they agree with you, you can have them while out and about.

10 - Loose skin seems to, like most everything, be very different for everyone. The tips I've read are to make sure and to lots of exercise for muscular toning. Beyond that though, it appears that the health of your skin and your individual body's ability to stretch/contract are the determining factors. From what I've read all of the snake oil and magic creams don't really do anything.

Thanks everyone for your input. I am in no way letting my worries talk me out of this surgery. For me, writing concerns down and getting them out of my head,helps me deal with it all, far better than holding it in and over thinking everything.

Well im really good at worrying so lets see...

I am Worried that ...

I will not work the tool like I should and remain obese

I will be hungry ALL THE TIME

I wont have enough energy to do well at work

My hair will fall out and it will be noticeable

I wont be able to afford plastic surgery when its time

I will be scared in hospital

I will suffer complications or long term negative side effects like bone loss despite doing everything im told to do

None of that is reason enough not to go through with this. But theyre things I think about. I just want to be healthy enough to enjoy life.

Thanks for the shout out! It's great to be known for my bodily secretions! Lol!! :)

I think your list of dread is completely normal and I'm so thankful that we have a place to voice them and work through them pre and post op!

We are family- all my brother, sisters and me! Lol.

#TooMuchCoffee

Anyway, one of my friends told me today that she is excited for me to lose lbs, but worries that I will lose myself and my personality. It stung a little, but maybe that's because she has a point.

My fear is losing the best parts of me...

My humor, compassion and love for others as I take this time for the first time in my life to focus on myself. I'm pretty sure the same soul will be staring in the mirror back at me. :)

Well wishes to all & thanks for the support!

As for the Lovenox. I also have a lithium induced tremor and I used to work as a nurse despite shaky hands. Lovenox is prepackaged and pretty darn easy to give. It's a subQ injection with a tiny needle so angle is not so critical. Practice poking yourself with a pen where you hand hits your belly before the point does. The needle will be at a 45 degree angle which for subQ is ok. (45-90) That makes it much easier to keep it steady. Its a big barrel syringe too with an auto retracting needle.

photo-7.jpg

Edited by Natasha Estrada

Thanks for sharing, PrincessM and Ashlee.. Better to get the worries out, no matter how irrational we may think they are, as I am sure a lot of people have these pre surgery jitters. I have a lot of the same fears you do, PrincessM and Ashlee..

And thanks for the encouragement regarding the Lovenox, Natasha.. I hope I don't have to go on blood thinners, but in my Bariatric Surgery binder my surgical team gave me, it is one of things listed that I most likely will have to do post operatively, and I would rather be prepared than surprised.

My lovenox was a spring loaded thing and the nurses gave it to me everyday and it took 5 seconds. No pain. Leaves big time bruising-big deal. Did not hurt and it is quick so nothing to worry about.

My Proteins are all good and I am losing my hair some. Hard but I can handle it.

Hospitals are scary to everyone. Normal! Walk and the gas gets better. Walk and you get out sooner.

The cons are there but the pros are so good! Good luck!

Yes, I have a few worries and anxieties about this surgery, as I am sure we all do. I thought I would make a top ten list of my post op worries and would love it if you would share yours as well, so that I can see I am not in this alone. These worries are listed in no particular order:

1. Losing my hair. I already have very thin hair and color it because I am 80% grey. I have been told to avoid coloring it for a few months afterwards, so first I will go grey then bald??

2. Lovenox injections. We all have to be on blood thinners for a week post op and it seems that Lovenox injections are the most commonly prescribed type. I'm not a fan of needles, but not afraid of them. I do have a moderate Essential Tremor in both hands and am fairly sure I would end up stabbing myself before being able to inject myself. I do have someone who will give me the shots, but the whole idea makes me anxious.

3. Gas. When you have laporscopic surgery they pump your abdominal cavity full of gas so they can see what they are doing. This gas is very painful after waking up from surgery, that and Ashley Page (from this forum) just informed me that we pass stinky gas after surgery..great!

4. Catheter. I have never had a catheter.. that I remember anyways.. what if I get a urinary tract infection from it, I know I will deal with it if it happens, but it will just be on top of everything else.

5. Complications.

6. Lack of support or understanding from family friends and coworkers.

7. Dehydration. What if I can't get in all the liquid they want me too each day?

8. I have had problems with my stomach since I was a teenager, I am 45 now. What happens if I have problems with it post operatively? How do they look into your stomach after it has been separated and sealed away from the pouch in a RYBP?

9. Dumping Syndrome. Now, if this happens at home, it happens at home. Home is a safe environment for strange,painful, embarrassing body function things to happen at so I am not worried about that..but what if it happens in public??

10. Loose Skin. How can I prevent it? Is it preventable?

Hi - I am one year post-op tomorrow. What a difference a year can make! I thought I would respond to some of your worries. They are all very legitimate worries. I am the Queen of worrying, so I had an even longer list one year ago today!

1. Hair loss. This happened. I thought I was going to get away without it happening, but between 4-5 months it began. I lost a lot of hair. It is now growing back.

2. Blood thinners. Didn't need them or clinic didn't prescribe them. But I do have MS and have had to give myself injections over the years for that. It really is amazing how fast you get the hang of it.

3. Gas. They do pump you full of gas. The best way to get rid of it is to walk as much as possible as soon as possible. Walking will help with every part of your recovery. I was up the evening following my surgery and walked every few hours all night (they are coming in and waking you up anyway!),

4. Catheter. I had a catheter. It was inserted after they put me out and it was removed before I regained consciousness. No memory of that at all. No infection.

5. Complications. I had NONE! I worried I would have them all, but I sailed right through. I could have gone back to work after a week off I felt so good - I work in an office. I am 49 years old, so I am not a kid saying this either. Being active makes all the difference.

6. Family / Friends / Coworkers. My family have all been terrific - I could not have done this without them. Friends and coworkers, some have been great, others not so much. I have taken a lot of support right here. It is one of the things I love so much about this site.

7. Dehydration. For the first week you full time job is to drink. It is very possible to get it all in and be fine. Just think of it as the number one thing you have to do in those first days.

8. Stomach. This one I can't speak to. I have not had any problems now or in the past. But this surgery has been around for decades. I am sure they know how to scope and look for problems post RNY. It is one of the advantages I think of having this surgery over some of the other choices.

9. Dumping. This has never happened to me. I have been very careful to follow my clinic's plan and have not had any dumping symptoms at all. As time has passed I have tried sweets, even a few M & M candies or a bit or cake or pie. For many people, as long as you follow the rules, it doesn't happen.

10. Lose skin. I wish I had a more positive response to this one, but this is a big problem for me. I have lost 198 pounds in the last year. I was 331 when I began this journey and am now 133. My arms are the worst. I had HUGE arms. I also have lose skin on my legs and stomach. I was never big breasted, but now am probably an A-B cup. I work out every day. I don't think there is much you can do about this one. They say age and genetics and how much you lose will tell the tale. I wish there was a magic answer for this one.

Best of luck to you! Even with the down stuff, I wouldn't go back to where I was a year ago for all the money in the world. I love my new healthy life!

Carol

Hey I just lost my bowl functions. I go in Thursday morning but have been on a liquid diet for a week. Guess thats why that happened. Thank god I was home. Will die if it happens anywhere else.

Thanks for the encouragement SparklingBeauty and Carol. You both are doing awesome post operatively with weight loss!!

Kimteehee.. I understand that concern of losing bowel function in public. I know it happens to many people, but it is still embarrassing none the less. Good luck with your surgery!!

Thanks for sharing, PrincessM and Ashlee.. Better to get the worries out, no matter how irrational we may think they are, as I am sure a lot of people have these pre surgery jitters. I have a lot of the same fears you do, PrincessM and Ashlee..

And thanks for the encouragement regarding the Lovenox, Natasha.. I hope I don't have to go on blood thinners, but in my Bariatric Surgery binder my surgical team gave me, it is one of things listed that I most likely will have to do post operatively, and I would rather be prepared than surprised.

If it isn't one of the things they ask you to do post operatively then I would ask they prescribe it to you anyways. A few pricks for a few days is much better than blood clots in your lungs.