Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BP too high for clearance

Ok, I went to my PCP for pre-op check-up and medical clearance. Well, earlier in the morning (10:00) I had gone in for my Upper GI. When I called the hospital's scheduling department, I asked them how long it would take as I was leaving work in the middle of the day. I was told "about an hour." Based on that info, I also scheduled a loan closing for 12:00. Well, three hours later I finally left the hospital. I had to call my client and postpone the closing, plus I felt like had thrown my employees under the bus after being gone for so long. Sooo, I get back to work about 2:30, only to have to leave and be at the Dr's office by 4:00 for my appointment. The MT checks my vitals and lo and behold, my blood pressure is something like 196/103! Given that I have a history of high blood pressure, the fact that I was still extremely upset over the events of the day didn't deter my PCP from refusing to sign my clearance paperwork. :( He added another BP med to the two I'm already taking (and maxed out on) and told me to come back on Monday. If the BP is down to a more normal level, he'll clear me for surgery.

So here's my question. What are some safe ways I can lower my BP before I go in on Monday afternoon? I don't want to do anything that would be "deceitful" as going into surgery with BP that high would be dangerous. But I do want it to be low enough to be cleared, then I can concentrate on keeping it down for surgery.

Any suggestions? :help:

Well i have HIGH BP as well. Stay away from salty foods. I really dont know much more but i know if you watch your sodium intake then it can really help.

Good luck....BP is nothing to mess with.

Well i have HIGH BP as well. Stay away from salty foods. I really dont know much more but i know if you watch your sodium intake then it can really help.

Good luck....BP is nothing to mess with.

that was what I was going to say.

I no longer take any of my HBP meds since surgery---it has made a major change in my health. Now we gotta get you on this side of the street!!!

Be very careful of what you eat. Not only quit adding salt to your food, watch the pre packaged food, lunchmeats etc. have very HIGH sodium contents, as do things like sports drinks.< /strong>

A friend who has normal readings at home, but gets white coat fever at the Dr. says he drinks grapefruit juice for it's diuretic qualities. I would seriously imagine with being on meds now one of them is a diuretic already. You might go easy on the fluids for the day or so before it is checked again. I know I took HCTZ, and I could tell when I wasn't drinking much, it would really pull other Fluid from my body, my rings would loosen up...that kind of thing.

Good Luck---plan an early morning BP check. Take a dose of Benadryl the night before, get a good nights sleep, go in nice and relaxed. There is a lot riding on the reading, so you will be nervous. Do you have a BP cuff at home? I would take several reading through the next few days at home, to be able to show the Dr. just in case you do get super stressed with so much riding on the one visit.

Keep us posted---I'll be pulling for you!!!!

Kat

The most important thing it seems is for you to relax. Try meditation, deep breathing, listen to gentle soothing music, eat lean Protein and green veggies, especially asparagus as it is a diuretic. If you can get a massage. These are things you need to do on an ongoing basis. Low sodium is important...so as natural as possible. Use sea salt only in moderation...sea salt acts differently in the body. So RELAX...you will be fine...but really DO relax!:notagree

Never take Grapefruit juice with medications they can cause dangerous interactions! Especially on some of the heart medications. I always listen to easygoing music and deep breathe on the way to my doctor visits. Good luck if you haven't already gotten cleared.

my blood preasure is directly connected to two things. One is pain. So if pain is up bp is up. The other is carbs. When my blood preasure is high I

stop eating carbs and it comes down quickly.

So lay off the carbs totally for a couple of days and watch and see if it does not come down.

Now that your Dr. added another med. watch for any signs of going too low, as well. But yeah, watch your sodium intake and the carbs.

Relax, be sure to get a good's night rest the night before and leave early enough for your appt. so you aren't rushed getting to the Dr. office.

OK My family has history of high blood pressure. To combat this we meditate.

I would sugest (to someone that dosent meditate) The day of your next BP visit Take a half day. Bring a book or video game. Or magizine. Something that relaxes you. And just go into the office planning for a good outcome.

Positive attitude will help keep BP lower. Dont let yourself get worked up. Deep breaths.

I would try it out on the Walmart BP machienes. lol To see if you can lower it this way before scheduling an apointment.

Good luck

Eddie:

Try to get there at least an hour early for your appointment and sit and relax for that hour to bring down your bp.

Good luck.

Sue

I've had hbp since I was 14 years old. Well, I was diagnosed then. I'm 50 years old now. It runs in my family.

The point about having "real" high bp is you can't control it. You might be able to bring it down a few points by meditation and slowing down your heart rate, but it won't make it go away.

Remember, high blood pressure is also called "the silent killer" because there are no symptoms.

With that being said, there is a recognized affliction known as "white coat syndrome" which means some people's blood pressure goes up when they are having a dr. exam or getting their bp taken in the dr.'s office. They don't really have hbp, it's just the reaction they have from being in a stressful situation.

I see a nephrologist for my blood pressure and my bp is taken when I go back to an exam room. It's taken in both of my arms. Then when the doctor comes in, he takes it in both arms as well.

SO, I guess what I'm saying is that you might have white coat syndrome, so if it is high when you go, let them know you would like it taken several times and in both arms to see if you can get a more accurate reading.

Also, between now and then, get your bp taken somewhere else. Lot's of drug stores have a machine, or the pharm. can take it for you. Some cities have set up places like fire stations where you can have it read for free. Buy yourself a wrist cuff with a digital readout and check it yourself! They are only about $30.

Good luck and I think from what you said you will do just fine!

Oh, and while you are in surgery you are hooked up to a bp cuff, so they KNOW what your bp is as you are being operated on.

i don't have high blood pressure. mine is usually normal to low. however, lots of times when i go to the doc, it can show up being higher because they usually take your BP right after you walk into the room. walking around is going to raise your BP. ask them to give you a minute or two to sit there before they take your BP. during this time, and while they are taking your BP, close your eyes, clear your head, and focus on taking deep even breaths to slow your heart rate. don't talk. it's like a mini meditation. you'd be amazed at how much this can help. it usually can take me down from a 140/90 or so to a 120/80 or lower. it's not a miracle worker, but it can make a difference.

I've recently started taking my HBP meds at night and my BP has been consistently lower. I saw a doctor on television explain that as you are resting the meds regulate your BP better because your arteries are able to relax for a longer period of time as you are sleeping.

I agree with what Sue Magoo said about getting to the office early enough to relax. I'm kind of surprised you PCP didn't have you sit quietly for 30 minutes and then retake it.

I take it you are in banking? Good luck then ...

ok seriously though, try meditation. Will be frustrating at first but it really helps. I have been meditating since I was a teenager and I have managed to keep my BP below average. Meditation, steering clear of sodium (you really need to watch the labels on this one they can be deceiving).

First of all, ALL salt acts the same so eliminate it. If you take a statin for high cholesterol, grapefruit might be contra-inidcated. Limiting fluids can actually cause B/P to be higher so drink Water. Eliminate caffeine and products that contain caffeine. Don't eat ANY processed foods or snack foods. Stick to fresh fruit and veggies. Exercise LOWERS your blood pressure so take a brisk walk about 30 minutes before your apt. and then do the relaxation things others mentioned.