Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap-band surgery on 06/19, lost 18 pounds so far during pre-op

So I've pretty much followed the pre-op diet, with the exception of a "taste" here and there of certain things. I had a pickle on day 2; I couldn't take it any more. I ate a small piece of plain chicken daily several of the days; other than that I have been following the plan. 18 pounds down so far and the surgery is on Thursday 06/19. I'm just a little worried about not being able to eat large meals any longer. I've always eaten for comfort, so now I have to teach myself to eat to live. I'm seriously considering getting therapy to get to the root of why food has such a hold on me. Anyone else relate??

I am on pre op diet too, Its been 12 days. Friday 20th is surgery day. It has been really hard, I agree. I also have had a pickle here and there, baked fish, chicken once each when I have been very sick to my stomach. I have lost 20 pounds. So YES I can relate! : )

Colleen

Haha that made me laugh when you said you ate pickles too! Congrats on losing the 20!! Are you nervous that you won't be able to eat as much anymore?

Haha that made me laugh when you said you ate pickles too! Congrats on losing the 20!! Are you nervous that you won't be able to eat as much anymore?

I haven't thought about in that way but I have definitely had thoughts of Thanksgiving, especially stuffing, and subs and so on. I know many bandsters can't tolerate bread and of course we will miss some things but from what I have read from others experiences that if we stay on track those happy memories of food will fade away to feeling a lot better about many other things, like clothes, our bodies etc. I also am a comfort eater and have been cranky on and off during this pre-op process, or so my family has been telling me!

Lets stay in touch!

Pre-op brings up so many emotions.....I had worries about forfeiting my favorited or not being able to go out, etc. All of those fears were unfounded -- I don't feel like I've given up anything. Can't really explain it, but when the appetite is dimmed there is that feeling of "enough" which must be what I was looking for all along with the volume eating. Good luck to you -- you are choosing yourself and that is very powerful. I highly recommend therapy. I saw some one and we broke down all my triggers so I could really see them and form some strategies. So easy with the band -- I am able to override those old behaviors and you will, too. I was sure I'd be the person it didn't work for but it's working great.

Thanks Colleen and Bandista! And Colleen, I've also been told I've been grumpy. I wanted to tell this one girl at work, "take away your cigarettes for two weeks and let's see who gets grumpy"!!

So I've pretty much followed the pre-op diet, with the exception of a "taste" here and there of certain things. I had a pickle on day 2; I couldn't take it any more. I ate a small piece of plain chicken daily several of the days; other than that I have been following the plan. 18 pounds down so far and the surgery is on Thursday 06/19. I'm just a little worried about not being able to eat large meals any longer. I've always eaten for comfort, so now I have to teach myself to eat to live. I'm seriously considering getting therapy to get to the root of why food has such a hold on me. Anyone else relate??

My surgery is set for this Friday andi have found myself eating food here and there its very hard to not eat anything. I'm scared to not be able to eat all those wonderfully horrible foods again too. You are not alone. I have lost 7 lbs in the first week ,so pretty happy about that.

Gloria,

I completely understand. I have been the grumpiest and short tempered person not eating. It's the HARDEST thing I've ever done, aside from raising a 19 year old lol. I just kept telling myself the pay off will be so worth it! I have been a prisoner in my own body for 20 years. NO MORE!! I deserve to be happy!

Gloria,

I completely understand. I have been the grumpiest and short tempered person not eating. It's the HARDEST thing I've ever done, aside from raising a 19 year old lol. I just kept telling myself the pay off will be so worth it! I have been a prisoner in my own body for 20 years. NO MORE!! I deserve to be happy!

I totally agree.. So tired of being tired! UV been over weight my whole life so this is going to be a huge change in my life.

Eighteen pounds is great! I only lost nine during my pre op diet. :blush: Cheating isn't a great idea. If it isn't slowing your progress it probably isn't hurting you and I doubt it is inhibiting your liver shrinking, which is why you are on this diet. Just be careful, mmmkay? You don't want to jeopardize your chances of having your band placed! If your surgeon gets in there and your liver is to large, your surgeon won't take a chance. He or she will simply close you up and you will have had surgery for nothing.

I feel you on the emotional eating. And on the volume eating. I am/was both. I battle both daily. My band is huge for me, as it pulls me back from going hog wild and eating the huge amounts of foods I used to nom on. Now, I have to eat my small portions. I am not 100% successful. But even when I do eat a bit more than I should, I can't and don't eat as much as I used to and I don't eat the kinds of things I used to so if I do "go overboard" it is still a pretty small amount and not nearly as damaging. But I still have to work on NOT DOING THAT SH*T TO MYSELF! OY! :lol:

I still find myself wanting to comfort eat and tat is a hard one. I can't. I simply can't. I have to find other ways to get that out of my system. It's a work in progress. My husband and I are currently house hunting, I want a place in an area that is more walk friendly so that when I need to release my sh*t I can get out and walk it off.

Anyway, the band is a tool, not a cure for what ails us. I think that therapy is a great idea, if you feel that you would like to seek it. We all need to do what it takes to be successful and happy. :)

Thank you Icyone; all of what you said is so true. I'm happy for you and your accomplishments. ;)

Preop dieting since the 6th and I stopped smoking. Its been rough. Surgery is the 26th.

Thank you Icyone; all of what you said is so true. I'm happy for you and your accomplishments. ;)

Thank you. :D

Preop dieting since the 6th and I stopped smoking. Its been rough. Surgery is the 26th.

Sucky pre op diet AND you quit smoking?

YOU GO GIRL!!!!

Seriously! Hardcore! :D

Ty icey one.