Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very disappointed!

Initially I decided not to tell people about my weight loss surgery decision.but later I'm like it's my choice so sure I'll tell people.I'm still 5 months away from surgery but I've been called lazy, impatient and told told I'm going to look horrible after, by Family!!!!!!!!!! Wtf I'm so mad I opened my mouth!!!

Ugg! :/ Try to fluff off their negativity, you will prove them all wrong.

Yikes. Sorry that your family of all people are not being supportive. I got lucky in that category. I have only have one person say to me "Well why did you get surgery?" I told her because I was never going to do it on my own. That is the truth. People may say that is laziness but there is really so much more to it than that.

Very few people look at Obesity like they would look at Anorexia, as an eating disorder. Luckily my surgeon and their office do look at it that way. And WLS is a tool to help you to relearn healthy behaviors. Seeing the results that come with it and having the support of your doctor's office, friends, and people who are going through the same things you are like the people here on Bariatric Pal will really help you out along the way.

In the end, this is about your life - prolonging it through better health AND improving the quality of life immensely!!

Remember this is your journey. Unfortunately the people we need the most are emotionally unavailable. The upside is that you will have to depend and support the most important person in all of this YOU! . I only had one friend not agree and she stepped lightly but was still say the same. I thanked her and told her I know she cares for me but this is about me and I am comfortable with my decision. The funny thing is she was the first person to show up to the hospital to visit me.

just like a pregnant woman who is surrounded by people who tell nothing but horror stories to her about birth, you need to kick negative people out of your life and tell them very clearly... "sorry, i will only agree to be around you unless you can be supportive and positive 100% of the time." and then you need to stick to your word. you need positive people around you both pre and post op and you arent anyones doormat. you deserve support and kindness, not judgement and bullsh*t.

Boy are they in for a surprise....of course, once successful you will always have those who are spiteful out of jealousy and envy....

So one cannot win. In the end it's all about you and what you do for yourself....everything else will follow and fall into place....it will become the "New Normal"

Keep your head up . There are so many people out there who will tell you that you can't. What you've got to do is turn around and say "watch me".

The only thing you can do is try to educate people about the fact that most who are obese who loose weight will eventually gain it back, it's scientifically proven. We're all in the same boat here, we certainly didn't want to be obese, it's a disease that needs serious treatment. If people don't want to understand and think that what your doing is the easy way out invite them to read some of the comments about the struggles we go thru. This is by no means a walk in the park. It would kick my butt every day if I let it.

If that still doesn't work then it's their loss for not supporting you thru something that is so important to your life.

good lucj

How is it lazy? A lot more effort goes into losing weight than it does to sit on the couch and eat all day, weightloss surgery or not.

Initially I decided not to tell people about my weight loss surgery decision.but later I'm like it's my choice so sure I'll tell people.I'm still 5 months away from surgery but I've been called lazy, impatient and told told I'm going to look horrible after, by Family!!!!!!!!!! Wtf I'm so mad I opened my mouth!!!

so while you are getting healthy and living a longer happier life wearing fabulous clothes and looking sexy as hell.....they will be where and doing what??????...i know..looking at you and going DAYUM

who the f**k cares what anyone thinks

WLS is hard and its def not an easy way out..

do your thing and live YOUR life...

hang tough

You're going to get positive and negative responses no matter what.. I didn't tell most people about my WLS, but just from my weight loss alone I've already gotten good comments and bad. I was really big and unhealthy before, so I kinda feel like everyone should be supportive and happy that I've lost weight.. that still doesn't stop some people though. In the span of one night at work, I had one co-worker tell me I looked amazing, my face and arms were so much skinnier, etc.. Then another one said I was pasty, my eyes looked sunken, and I didn't look like me anymore. I don't know why people do that.. but they do. You just gotta let that type of thing roll right off. Only you know what's best for you. This is your decision and you're doing what you feel is right. Screw everyone else that disapproves!

I told some people about my surgery. A lot of people just knew I was losing weight. I was eating less and a excersing, too.

They will change their tune after you've lost a lot of weight. You'll look great!

I certainly do not think that deciding to have WLS a walk in the park-I did think it would solve all my problems and I have just come to the understanding that it won't.

I will still continue to have to watch my weight for the rest of my life, diet and exercise. I did think I wouldn't crave or feel hungry but I do.

The last time I was 145 was when I was in high school-I am praying that I will be that weight again one day and then instead of managing 120lb weight problem i will focus on a 5 lb one

I have told only a few what i have done-I just didn't want to listen to their 'helpful' advice

I told my cousin and she said 'Oh no I will have to diet now as i can't have you slimmer than me" Really!