Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for July Sleevers!

Can I ask why you chose to gave your surgrey in Mexico? I've noticed a lot of people had their surgrey in Mexico. Trying to see what I mussed out on? Please share...just make sure you have a good pillow to protect your belly. Good luck!

It is great to see the progress that everyone had made in this group. I'm the last one to have the surgery (July 31st) so I am very appreciative of all the tips that everyone is giving.

It is great to see that everyone is coming through this without complications and that they pain is controllable and relatively short term in duration.

The one thing i struggle with is sleeping. I'm on a CPAP machine and years ago when my snoring was said to be that of a large bear I tried to compensate for it by sleeping on my stomach. I know that that is out with this surgery. Side sleeping would be my second choice and I see that that is not recommended and I'm told to refrain from sleeping on my back because of my sleep apnea. What I was thinking about doing and was wondering if anyone has tried this yet was to sleep in my La-Z Boy recliner. I generally fall asleep in that chair watching TV that way anyway and get better short term sleep in it than I get in my bed. I thought with it being a recliner with hearting and vibrating abilties that it might make a good choice of a place to sleep in while I'm healing. Has anyone else tried this and if so how was it.

Thanks again and congratulations to all those that have done this and are one their way to meding and weight loss. Best of luck to everyone who is about to have this done.

See you all on the otherside!

Dallas

I chose to have my surgery in Mexico because Dr. Guiermo Alvarez was one of the first doctors to start VSG's and he was a leading physician. Self pay 8k and that includes rides support hotel to and from.

Why Mexico?I have about a dozen friends in this area that have gone. That was what first made me start doing my research. My insurance wouldn't cover in the states so I knew this might be an option. The price was where it needed to be 4400. I contacted Ready 4 a Change and spoke with my contact person alma. She sent me more information and at that point after discussing with my dr I felt this was the way to go. If you look it up you will see pictures of facility it is 5 star all the way. The hotel is clean and luxurious and the hospital is cleaner than I've ever seen her in the states. I know that they can show anything in pics but I asked others that had gone and they agreed that the pics were what you got. That doesn't mean I'm not nervous but that would be if I was having it in states.

Tricia

7-18-14

Dr Garcia Tijuana, Mexico

I chose to have my surgery in Mexico because Dr. Guiermo Alvarez was one of the first doctors to start VSG's and he was a leading physician. Self pay 8k and that includes rides support hotel to and from.

I've heard nothing but great things about Dr. Alvarez. I subscribe to his youtube videos and read everything he publishes. I even listen to his podcasts. He is a real gentleman and extremely professional with so much experience.

Dr. Alvarez was my backup plan in case my insurance company denied me which they did but I fought back and won.

I actually would have considered Dr. Alvarez if my insurance company would have covered it.

My surgery date is July 31st. Only two weeks and a little out.

Best of luck with your surgery and recovery.

Dallas

I watched tons of Dr. Alvarez videos on youtube. He answered a lot of my questions. I never thought about leaving the state for surgery....I will keep my options open. Thanks.

Can I ask why you chose to gave your surgrey in Mexico? I've noticed a lot of people had their surgrey in Mexico. Trying to see what I mussed out on? Please share...just make sure you have a good pillow to protect your belly. Good luck!

I chose to have my surgery in Mexico because my insurance excludes bariatric surgery. When I found that out, I began researching self pay options in the states and they just were not feasible for me. In my research, however, I kept running across stories of people who went to Mexico to have their surgery and were very pleased with the experience so I turned my research in that direction. After a couple months of nonstop research, I made the decision that I was going to do what I needed to do to improve my life and I booked my surgery with Dr. Quinones in Tijuana. 8 days to go.

candy

Hi everybody,

At 5:00 I switched to the Water only diet until midnight, then nothing. We have to be at the hospital al 5:15 am, I kinda want to go,to sleep now so that it will be here already!

Just curious, when I had my pre-op stuff done I was given special cleansing wipes to use 1hour after I take a shower tonight. They said it was to cut down on mersa infections. Is this new? Has anyone else had to do this?

Hkmom

I had to wash with hibiclens before surgery. Its normal

Glad surgery went well. I am 5 days post op and going back to work tomorrow. I feel great.

@@HKMOM

i have to use a special soap called hibiclens. got it at Walmart

Had my surgery 12 hours ago. Pain is much worse than I prepared for but I know it's temporary. The gas coming out feels more like a hard hiccup than a belch and boy do I feel it.

I go to my 2 week post-op on Thursday and can't wait to see my weight loss. I already have people mentioning it. Such a great feeling. :)

One thing I wanted to mention to those that are still pre-op is Exparel... This is a injection that is given in your stomach for the pain and it lasts 72 hrs. My daughter and I both had this after our surgery and the most pain that we had was caused by the gas.