Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Woo HOO!! Supreme Court upholds Partial Birth Abortion Ban!!!!

Most of us do. Part of the problem is that the current administration refuses to see that abstinence-only programs don't work. If I had my way, every single kid in the nation would have to go to a mandatory sex-ed class that actually educates them about sex and the potential dangers, instead of just telling them that "sex is bad, don't have it".

81% of all abortions are performed on women age 20 and older. Surely, by the time they are 20, most women realize that sex isn't "bad". We need to educate young women, I agree, but we also need to NOT promote abortion as birth control. Just as WLS is not the best way to avoid getting fat in the first place, abortion is not "family planning". It is - or should be - the choice of last resort.

I don't understand the hot button here! Why are you all judging the author who said women should get abortions as a rite of passage? I did not say this. Someone else said it. WHY SHOULD YOU CARE WHY WOMEN GET ABORTIONS? If there's nothing wrong with abortion and it should be legal for any reason at any time during pregnancy, who the heck cares why someone chooses to do it?

(or is it that you all, deep down, know there is something just a bit "off" about the procedure and this offends your sensibilities?)

You might be on to something her Lady.

I don't understand the hot button here! Why are you all judging the author who said women should get abortions as a rite of passage? I did not say this. Someone else said it. WHY SHOULD YOU CARE WHY WOMEN GET ABORTIONS? If there's nothing wrong with abortion and it should be legal for any reason at any time during pregnancy, who the heck cares why someone chooses to do it?
To be honest, I really don't care why someone decides to have an abortion. That is her choice, and I don't have any business sticking my nose in her medical decisions. I know that 99% of women who have abortions aren't having them for shits and giggles. Maybe some do. I would rather not prevent that 99% from having an abortion, just to prevent the miniscule number of women who may be having an abortion just to have one. In other words, your medical decisions are between YOU and YOUR DOCTOR. Not me. Not your mother. Not Carlene. YOU AND YOUR DOCTOR.

That's not what I was asking you about. I was asking if you recognized the hypocrisy in branding all feminists because a few may have some wacky ideas but getting pissed whenever we talk about wackjob Christians because you say we are basically belittling ALL Christians when we do that.

Talk about putting words in my mouth! I didn't say or even IMPLY that ALL feminists believe it. I said there are some who advocate it. You jumped to the conclusion that I believe all feminists have wacky ideas and/or that the idea that this particular feminist was proposing was wacky.

BTW, there are some wacky Christians, or so-called Christians, out there. I don't deny it. Sometimes I cringe at what some of them do.

Was banded on 04/20/2007.

Um, wow! That's today, right? (it's been a loooonnnggg day) Congrats! :high5:

How are you feeling? I'm pretty impressed that you are even looking at a computer today!

I still don't have a date yet, but insurance was filed yesterday so it's getting close...

81% of all abortions are performed on women age 20 and older. Surely, by the time they are 20, most women realize that sex isn't "bad". We need to educate young women, I agree, but we also need to NOT promote abortion as birth control. Just as WLS is not the best way to avoid getting fat in the first place, abortion is not "family planning". It is - or should be - the choice of last resort.
I don't think we do promote abortion as birth control. I think it is rightly seen as the last resort by most people. How many of that 81% got pregnant because they never used birth control? Sometimes, accidents do happen, even when you try and be as safe as possible. I mean, personally, I think it is stupid to rely on one method of birth control alone, especially when many women and their partners don't really know how to use those methods properly. I really think that it all comes down to education about safe sex, which this administration refuses to fund.

To be honest, I really don't care why someone decides to have an abortion. That is her choice, and I don't have any business sticking my nose in her medical decisions. I know that 99% of women who have abortions aren't having them for shits and giggles. Maybe some do. I would rather not prevent that 99% from having an abortion, just to prevent the miniscule number of women who may be having an abortion just to have one.

Finally, a consistent position. Everyone else who is in favor of abortion remaining legal should listen to you do on this, because for everyone to be jumping up and down and waving their arms about how ridiculous it was for me to point out the fact that some women advocate abortion as a rite of passage simply tells me that they're NOT OK with the reality of what abortion is. If they were OK, they couldn't care.

BTW, I wasn't citing the fact that some women might choose to have an abortion as a rite of passage as an argument to outlaw abortion. I was answering a specific claim that no one ever wants to have an abortion.

Talk about putting words in my mouth! I didn't say or even IMPLY that ALL feminists believe it. I said there are some who advocate it. You jumped to the conclusion that I believe all feminists have wacky ideas and/or that the idea that this particular feminist was proposing was wacky.
Then why do you keep bringing it up, if you know that it is a wacky idea and that the majority of feminists don't agree? What bearing does it have on a conversation about whether or not abortion should be banned? Of course there are people out there with weird ideas. There are lots of them in every belief system out there. For example, the wacky snake-handling Christians. I wouldn't bring them up as an example of why we should ban all Christian religious ceremonies, simply because I know that they are an anomoly.

BTW, I wasn't citing the fact that some women might choose to have an abortion as a rite of passage as an argument to outlaw abortion. I was answering a specific claim that no one ever wants to have an abortion.
To be honest, I really don't think that anyone wants to have an abortion. They might spout rhetoric all day long about wanting to, but that doesn't mean they really do, deep down inside. If they do, I'm quite sure that they have some other mental problems. No sane person wants to undergo a painful medical procedure.

Um, wow! That's today, right? (it's been a loooonnnggg day) Congrats! :high5:

How are you feeling? I'm pretty impressed that you are even looking at a computer today!

I still don't have a date yet, but insurance was filed yesterday so it's getting close...

I Have a little gas an discomfort. But for the most part Walking around.

I got home about 1:30 and there was no way I would be siting right here then.

I was answering a specific claim that no one ever wants to have an abortion.
Sorry, I must have missed that comment somewhere along the way.

Sorry, I must have missed that comment somewhere along the way.

Thank you. I didn't keep bringing it up. I was simply defending myself after everyone ELSE kept bringing it up.

Whatever the reason for citing some random off the wall book that claims that feminists encouraged women to get pregnant so they could experience abortion, it is repugnant and way over the top.

If someone assumes that because people believe that it is a woman's right to make medical or other decisions about her body without government interference, that they endorse abortion at any stage of pregnancy or even just "for the experience" then they are not someone with whom I should be discussing the topic. Because that is someone who is not playing fair and who may as well be shreiking from a rooftop waving a gun and threatening to kill any woman who has an abortion as far as I am concerned. The whole scenario is wacky and extreme and disgusting.

For the young (I assume) lady who made the statement that abortion is not going to be made illegal, she is not necessarily correct. It was illegal for many years and there are people who continue to believe it should be illegal. The President's people believe it should be illegal. The two appointees to the Supreme Court that Bush seated believe it should be illegal. Those are the people who have the power to reach that goal. Don't assume that just because women have had to go to extreme lengths to obtain abortions in the past, doesn't mean that we can't revert to that same situation, if the Republicans get their way.

Again you miss the point. The undeniable fact is, 99.99999% of all women do not want to have abortions. Even the ones who have them do not want to. No one has recreational abortions. This much is obvious.

The point you don't want to face is that women who have abortions care deeply about the situation, and are not the least bit frivolous in their decision-making, yet choose it anyway when they need to, and want to have that choice. Women who have abortions are not wild, promiscuous, hedonistic maniacs who love to kill children.

When you point out that a half a dozen wacko feminists had abortions as a right of passage, and that therefore this "proves" that some women want to have abortions, all you do is make yourself look ridiculous and damage your credibility. I know you don't see this, and that's the sad part.

There are reasonable arguments against a right to choose. Few people here seem to agree with them, but at least they are reasonable and credible. Why not focus on those instead of the silly things you bring up to support your points?

Whatever the reason for citing some random off the wall book that claims that feminists encouraged women to get pregnant so they could experience abortion, it is repugnant and way over the top.

So I had no right to post an opinion that I've read because you think it's repugnant (of course, I still don't have a reason why you think it's repugnant)?

If someone assumes that because people believe that it is a woman's right to make medical or other decisions about her body without government interference, that they endorse abortion at any stage of pregnancy or even just "for the experience" then they are not someone with whom I should be discussing the topic.

Once again, I NEVER said that everyone who believes in abortion believes that women should have one just for the experience. I was responding to a SPECIFIC claim that no one wants to have one. And that's just not true.

For the record, though, since you all have pushed me to think about and research this, it's made me wonder why the heck you all DON'T believe women should be allowed to have an abortion for whatever reason they damn well choose. My body, my choice, after all. Who the heck are you to judge women who want to have the experience?

BTW, after the book reference on "The Sacrament of Abortion", do you still want me to find a specific quote from someone else who advocates that position? Or do you believe me yet?