Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Seriously mourning food :(

The past few days I've really felt the loss of food/old habits. I've been feeling lonely and this is a big trigger for me to turn to old habits. Obviously, I cannot and will not eat anything off my food plan (both because my stomach is tiny and because I am 110% committed to my health and progress). So instead, I've been staring longingly at Pinterest food pictures (lame, I know).

I'm in a weird in between place with school and work and I know that's contributing to these blah feelings as well.

I'm just looking for advice from those of you who have gone through a similar phase - thanks!

Shahada,

You're just going through a learning curve. I had mine done March 10, and it took me a minute to find other things to do. It also took several weeks for me not to be too interested in food. I finally quit planning all of my meals. That may be okay for some, but for me, it was too much time and attention on food. I can eat anything I want, even salad. That's a blessing. I just have found that food is not that important any longer. i really never get a craving for anything. You will find your zone. Just give it a few more weeks. You can always grab sugar free popsicles, or sugar fee Jello. I live on cottage cheese. I'm sure I'll get sick of it, sooner or later, but for now, it's good. Be creative with your food choices. You'll come around. You always have all of us here. We will cheer you on.

I am already mourning food a little and I haven't even gotten it done yet. I feel for you. I think addressing the loneliness issue would be helpful since you say that is a trigger. Can you get out of the house for a bit? Just a change of scenery might help. Or you can hang out with people on here. Maybe play a game? We should put together a spades tournament or something ha.

Edited by Travelmego

Definitely have felt twinges of that. All of a sudden it seems like every commercial involves my favorite food! But it passes and I think when my stomach can handle more improvisation (right now, it's very picky and boring), I'll enjoy what I can within my allowances. Now it's just so boring.

I had a twinge today when I picked up lunch for grandkids and had the urge to eat a couple of fries from the bottom of the bag, not because of hunger but habit. My eating was mostly mindless grazing and now I'm a little confused about where I'll fit in during family get-togethers, parties and my old favorite, pizza night. Seems like I'll be constantly looking for a new normal.

You know I'll try a bite of pizza at some point and it will hopefully provide me with enough discomfort not to be stupid again.

I too am trying to find my groove....not enough food choices or should I say liquid choices. Hard for me to feel like I'm eating a meal. I'm just drinking as often as I can. Not even sure how many calories I'm consuming. Can't be that many but my weight isn't do much. Just kind of holding. I'm hoping a routine of some sort will flush out soon with more choices. Just feel like I'm doing this wrong. Is there a wrong way this early out? Had surgery may 20 th

Funny, I thought I was the only one looking at food on Pinterest! I would look up bariatric recipes for my next phase and save them. I watched all the cooking shows. I even baked Cookies several times in my first two weeks for my family. Even though I couldn't eat them I loved the smell and how they bade my family happy to eat them. So weird! But it will get better. Once you are able to get some variety in your diet, you will realize that you aren't even eating any of these things you have been craving. I was on clear liquid diet for two weeks then full liquids for two weeks. When I got to the 13th day, I had a melt down. I was so sick of broth and sf popsicles! I actually sat there and cried...but once I was able to add something new, I felt much better. Hang in there!

Seems like everywhere I go there is an image of some kind of food with melted, gooey cheese or something similar. Im playing every mental trick I know to tell myself it isn't any good and I love my shakes. Lucky me, I get to have chocolate shakes every day...

Until this surgery, I never noticed how many cooking shows my husband and I watch on food network and other stations. Seriously, way too many shows on eating. I'll say this, if you value your sanity, leave the room when Diners, Drive-ins and Dives comes on. Just sayin...

I was that way for a while. At about 3 1/2 months I nibled here and there on some carby items and found that I didn't really have a taste for them anymore. I can't speak for you, but there could be a point where you don't even miss the junk food.< /p>

Oh my gosh, you sound like you live with us! Diners, Drive In's, and Dives...Man vs food, No Reservations, Bizarre Foods, Food Paradise, you name it, we watch it. I think the strangest thing I'm doing now is buying stuff for my husband to eat....meaning, if I'm really craving something I can't have, I'll get it for him. It's bizarre. It's almost like eating vicarously through him! I just hope he doesn't gain all I lose!

I really appreciate the responses everyone. It's comforting to know I'm not alone :) This whole surgery is such a process and I honestly did not really realize how fully encompassing it would be until it happened! Grieving food is such an odd feeling, but I'm glad to know it won't last!

Oh my gosh, it drives me NUTS sometimes!

I saw this person who wrote, "My sleeve makes me stop eating, but my head is screaming at me to keep eating" or something like that. When you have food issues, this surgery basically forces us to stare down those issues. It's hard! That's why I am a huge proponent of ongoing counseling/therapy for people with food addiction/abuse/issues.

Talk therapy has really helped me feel less "crazy" and "trapped in my own head". Many people who are/were overweight use food for reasons other than energy and to fuel our bodies. Figuring out what my reasons are is a big part of the recovery process for me.