Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

I'm just getting started with this process and have a first consult at the end of this month with the surgeon that I'm hoping will perform Gastric Bypass surgery on me. (So far, I've only attended the seminar, made up my mind to do it, and made this first appointment.)

I'm type-2 diabetic and had read that some surgeons won't do the surgery if A1C is too high. At last PCP visit, mine was near 10, which I'm not happy about at all. Just this week, I've begun to tackle that by restricting carbs (40-60 per day for now, lower with time hopefully). I'm also bumping up Water and exercise, stopped drinking any soda/carbonation, and am planning to work on eating slower and not drinking with meals. I'm thinking once I get some of the appointments underway, I'll start trying Protein Powder and shakes and upping Vitamin intake, including Biotin for the Hair loss, etc.

But I don't want to be too restrictive now in fear I'll burnout/fail and go back to bad habits without even a surgery date in sight. I know a lot of that is attitude/willpower, and I'm trying think of the surgery as a reward for all the hard work. I'm guesstimating I have about 20-30 weeks before surgery actually happens.

How did you manage the time between your decision and your surgery date/pre-op diet?

Hi all,

I'm just getting started with this process and have a first consult at the end of this month with the surgeon that I'm hoping will perform Gastric Bypass surgery on me. (So far, I've only attended the seminar, made up my mind to do it, and made this first appointment.)

I'm type-2 diabetic and had read that some surgeons won't do the surgery if A1C is too high. At last PCP visit, mine was near 10, which I'm not happy about at all. Just this week, I've begun to tackle that by restricting carbs (40-60 per day for now, lower with time hopefully). I'm also bumping up Water and exercise, stopped drinking any soda/carbonation, and am planning to work on eating slower and not drinking with meals. I'm thinking once I get some of the appointments underway, I'll start trying Protein powder and shakes and upping Vitamin intake, including Biotin for the hair loss, etc.

But I don't want to be too restrictive now in fear I'll burnout/fail and go back to bad habits without even a surgery date in sight. I know a lot of that is attitude/willpower, and I'm trying think of the surgery as a reward for all the hard work. I'm guesstimating I have about 20-30 weeks before surgery actually happens.

How did you manage the time between your decision and your surgery date/pre-op diet?

How did I manage the time?... surfing Bariatric Pal!

I would like to put my little comment to you. Anticipating your surgery is one thing but realizing that you are to mentally and physically for a complete lifestyle change.

This won't be just for a little while but for the rest of your life.

Trying to just do these changes for a short while and thinking that it will help won't do.

Change your eating and don't so call 'cheat'. This isn't a game. Need to change your mindset completely.

Vegetables are very important along with lean Protein. I have completely done all this and feel so much better. I "juice" vegetables lots of greens and carrots almost every day. I just ate a grilled skinless chicken breast, cherry tomatoes. I won't be hard to eat well.

In the afternoon I had some cottage cheese which I used to hate but now am using it every day. With that I had some natural juice peaches from

Aldi's. Nice prices make it easier to buy what you need.

I would like to put my little comment to you. Anticipating your surgery is one thing but realizing that you are to mentally and physically for a complete lifestyle change.

This won't be just for a little while but for the rest of your life.

Trying to just do these changes for a short while and thinking that it will help won't do.

Change your eating and don't so call 'cheat'. This isn't a game. Need to change your mindset completely.

Vegetables are very important along with lean Protein. I have completely done all this and feel so much better. I "juice" vegetables lots of greens and carrots almost every day. I just ate a grilled skinless chicken breast, cherry tomatoes. I won't be hard to eat well.

In the afternoon I had some cottage cheese which I used to hate but now am using it every day. With that I had some natural juice peaches from

Aldi's. Nice prices make it easier to buy what you need.

I'm not trying to do these things for "just a little while." What I'm concerned about is pacing myself as I try to overhaul bad habits/emotional ties and convert to the new lifestyle I'm seeking. If I try to change everything at once, I think that might be setting myself up to fail because it's too overwhelming. So that's why I'm starting now before I even have a surgery date, and I'm working on the diet and emotional stuff, then when I'm used to that and feel I have it under control, I'll gradually introduce each of the other elements of this new life.

I'm just wondering how other people did that. Some are cold turkey who ate the same way they always did up until the pre-op diet or even day of surgery if they didn't have one. Others started weeks or months earlier. I'm trying to find a good handle on that.

It's a process... for me, it was cold turkey all the way around. My surgeon didn't even put me on a pre-op diet. So I ate basically whatever I wanted up until the day of surgery. I was trying out Protein shakes, though. That's the one thing I wish I did EVEN MORE! Protein intake is really important for any WLS and a lot of times it will just make you sick to your stomach.

It's really awesome that you are trying to change your mindset so soon in the process. It's probably going to be extremely helpful for post-surgery.

I guess if I had to do it again, I would do Protein Shakes every day, aiming for 60g a day and a healthy dinner at night. I also probably would have the foods from the "full liquid" phase in my house constantly because I feel like I've been on this part of the diet forEVER! I also would recommend having some of your favorite foods here and there "for the last time."

Basically, easing yourself into it is a good thing. After surgery, you won't be able to work out right away, so eating right will be your life saver!

OH and Water, all day, every day! Get yourself a good water bottle with measurements on the side and NO straw. I have a Contigo 24oz one that I love! If you don't like plain Water, try out crystal light and Mio and things like that. You absolutely have to drink tons of water post-op and for the rest of your life!

I hope this helps a little! Good luck on your journey and keep us updated!

<p>Hi all,</p> <p> </p> <p>I'm just getting started with this process and have a first consult at the end of this month with the surgeon that I'm hoping will perform Gastric Bypass surgery on me. (So far, I've only attended the seminar, made up my mind to do it, and made this first appointment.) </p> <p> </p> <p>I'm type-2 diabetic and had read that some surgeons won't do the surgery if A1C is too high. At last PCP visit, mine was near 10, which I'm not happy about at all. Just this week, I've begun to tackle that by restricting carbs (40-60 per day for now, lower with time hopefully). I'm also bumping up Water and exercise, stopped drinking any soda/carbonation, and am planning to work on eating slower and not drinking with meals. I'm thinking once I get some of the appointments underway, I'll start trying Protein powder and shakes and upping Vitamin intake, including Biotin for the Hair loss, etc.</p> <p> </p> <p>But I don't want to be too restrictive now in fear I'll burnout/fail and go back to bad habits without even a surgery date in sight. I know a lot of that is attitude/willpower, and I'm trying think of the surgery as a reward for all the hard work. I'm guesstimating I have about 20-30 weeks before surgery actually happens.</p> <p> </p> <p>How did you manage the time between your decision and your surgery date/pre-op diet?</p> <p> </p>

Hi, I'm new in the process as well. My first appointment was in May. My nutritionist looked at me with such an appalling look when I told her my typical diet! I was so upset because at this point I had been faithfully using myfitnesspal to cut my calories and try my best to reach nutrition goals. Well anyway after she looked at me that way she then explained how I should be eating and even tho I thought I was doing well I was still eating to many carbs. Then I met with the surgeon he told me to make 1 big change at a time like give up soda and try to eat like the NUT instructed me. I ended up leaving that appointment and created a new shopping list. I have since stuck to the NUTs diet gave up soda and increased water and I am very full every day without hitting 1200 calories. Big difference from my 3k+ I was ingesting before. I have noticed after eating this way for a few weeks some things that I think I may want after taking a bite no longer taste as good or are not nearly as filling so I don't actually want to eat them.

Hi :-)

My husband and I are having surgery the same day, he will be sleeved and I will have a rny because if gerd. Tentative date is July 14th.

I am doing like you, gradually weaning off of the usual junk I eat, for the same exact reasons you write. In fact, I'm glad you posted to know that I'm not the only one! :-) My husband on the other hand, is not. He did stop drinking soda but that's about it. He says he's eating better but he thinks eating just an apple for lunch is enough. I am concerned that he doesn't know what he's getting into because he's not doing the research. But I just have to work on myself and let him do it his way I guess. Besides, I'm not perfect either and fudge up too. I find that I'm counting down the weeks so I can have this or that "one last time". That isn't healthy either because I think it's binge eating, isn't it?

Anyway, it sounds like you're doing great!!!

It's a process... for me, it was cold turkey all the way around. My surgeon didn't even put me on a pre-op diet. So I ate basically whatever I wanted up until the day of surgery. I was trying out Protein shakes, though. That's the one thing I wish I did EVEN MORE! Protein intake is really important for any WLS and a lot of times it will just make you sick to your stomach.

It's really awesome that you are trying to change your mindset so soon in the process. It's probably going to be extremely helpful for post-surgery.

I guess if I had to do it again, I would do Protein Shakes every day, aiming for 60g a day and a healthy dinner at night. I also probably would have the foods from the "full liquid" phase in my house constantly because I feel like I've been on this part of the diet forEVER! I also would recommend having some of your favorite foods here and there "for the last time."

Basically, easing yourself into it is a good thing. After surgery, you won't be able to work out right away, so eating right will be your life saver!

OH and Water, all day, every day! Get yourself a good water bottle with measurements on the side and NO straw. I have a Contigo 24oz one that I love! If you don't like plain Water, try out crystal light and Mio and things like that. You absolutely have to drink tons of water post-op and for the rest of your life!

I hope this helps a little! Good luck on your journey and keep us updated!

Thanks so much for sharing! A friend who had RNY three years ago told me that she went nuts trying all different shakes pre-op and then after post-op she hated all of them! Heh, so you may have been alright with waiting till after! I think my plan is going to be to try to do the liquid diet with protein shakes/broth/etc. for 2-4 weeks before surgery. So I still have some time but am keeping a list of shakes and protein powders that people here have recommended.

There will definitely be a few "last times" here and there too I'm sure. ;)

Ooh yes, I have to get a really good/big water bottle. I've been drinking about 68 oz a day (4 poland spring sized bottles), but could probably do better with a bigger container. I know I can't use a straw post-op but am a little tempted to do it now, cause you can suck that water down so much faster/easier! Heh.

Thanks again!

Hi, I'm new in the process as well. My first appointment was in May. My nutritionist looked at me with such an appalling look when I told her my typical diet! I was so upset because at this point I had been faithfully using myfitnesspal to cut my calories and try my best to reach nutrition goals. Well anyway after she looked at me that way she then explained how I should be eating and even tho I thought I was doing well I was still eating to many carbs. Then I met with the surgeon he told me to make 1 big change at a time like give up soda and try to eat like the NUT instructed me. I ended up leaving that appointment and created a new shopping list. I have since stuck to the NUTs diet gave up soda and increased Water and I am very full every day without hitting 1200 calories. Big difference from my 3k+ I was ingesting before. I have noticed after eating this way for a few weeks some things that I think I may want after taking a bite no longer taste as good or are not nearly as filling so I don't actually want to eat them.

Good for you! I've done other diet plans, including low-carb, before and had a lot of success short-term before my motivation failed, so I'm used to looking at labels and generally know what I should be eating and doing. Unfortunately I don't always do that which is why I'm buckling down anew right now. The Water consumption is what i'm tackling first because I really am hoping that helps with giving me the constantly full feeling. I'm trying to listen to my body more as well and really separate out the head hunger from the actual hunger! I hope I do as well as you have and that my tastebuds change as well! Thanks!

Hi :-)

My husband and I are having surgery the same day, he will be sleeved and I will have a rny because if gerd. Tentative date is July 14th.

I am doing like you, gradually weaning off of the usual junk I eat, for the same exact reasons you write. In fact, I'm glad you posted to know that I'm not the only one! :-) My husband on the other hand, is not. He did stop drinking soda but that's about it. He says he's eating better but he thinks eating just an apple for lunch is enough. I am concerned that he doesn't know what he's getting into because he's not doing the research. But I just have to work on myself and let him do it his way I guess. Besides, I'm not perfect either and fudge up too. I find that I'm counting down the weeks so I can have this or that "one last time". That isn't healthy either because I think it's binge eating, isn't it?

Anyway, it sounds like you're doing great!!!

Oh wow, the same day! Good luck to you both. That will really help make things easier I bet. My husband is similar--he recently was diagnosed with a health condition and I get a lot of "What should I eat? Help!" questions. He gets easily frustrated too and wants to skip Breakfast a lot, which I always tell him is a bad idea!

I think it's human to have and want those "last" times. And who knows? Maybe you won't want them when you get there anyway--or not as much anyway!

Thank you so much for the support!

My husband and I both had rny on march 25th of this year. It was great doing it together. It has made it so much easier.... even the pre-op was easier. We were both miserable together. Haha! Neither of us have had any complications. I pretty much eat what I use to but I was already eating really healthy. He is a sugar addict and an emotional eater. This has been way harder on him. I used the 6 months prior to prepare myself for the surgery and what I could eat. He used it as a "eat everything possible". So he has dumped a few times and figured out pretty quickly what he can not eat. I havent even tried anything that would make me dump. He still wants sweets... but its all mental. He has always coped with life with sweets. I havent craved any sweets. So it all depends on yourself and how menatlly prepared you are.

My husband and I both had rny on march 25th of this year. It was great doing it together. It has made it so much easier.... even the pre-op was easier. We were both miserable together. Haha! Neither of us have had any complications. I pretty much eat what I use to but I was already eating really healthy. He is a sugar addict and an emotional eater. This has been way harder on him. I used the 6 months prior to prepare myself for the surgery and what I could eat. He used it as a "eat everything possible". So he has dumped a few times and figured out pretty quickly what he can not eat. I havent even tried anything that would make me dump. He still wants sweets... but its all mental. He has always coped with life with sweets. I havent craved any sweets. So it all depends on yourself and how menatlly prepared you are.

Oh another couple! I'm sensing a pattern with these husbands just winging it. ;) I'm trying to work out those emotional ties and cut them out now so the head hunger isn't too bad after!

Hi, I'm new in the process as well. My first appointment was in May. My nutritionist looked at me with such an appalling look when I told her my typical diet! I was so upset because at this point I had been faithfully using myfitnesspal to cut my calories and try my best to reach nutrition goals. Well anyway after she looked at me that way she then explained how I should be eating and even tho I thought I was doing well I was still eating to many carbs. Then I met with the surgeon he told me to make 1 big change at a time like give up soda and try to eat like the NUT instructed me. I ended up leaving that appointment and created a new shopping list. I have since stuck to the NUTs diet gave up soda and increased Water and I am very full every day without hitting 1200 calories. Big difference from my 3k+ I was ingesting before. I have noticed after eating this way for a few weeks some things that I think I may want after taking a bite no longer taste as good or are not nearly as filling so I don't actually want to eat them.

Good for you! I've done other diet plans, including low-carb, before and had a lot of success short-term before my motivation failed, so I'm used to looking at labels and generally know what I should be eating and doing. Unfortunately I don't always do that which is why I'm buckling down anew right now. The Water consumption is what i'm tackling first because I really am hoping that helps with giving me the constantly full feeling. I'm trying to listen to my body more as well and really separate out the head hunger from the actual hunger! I hope I do as well as you have and that my tastebuds change as well! Thanks!

You got the right idea! Increasing my water and really thinking about if I was hungry, or thirsty or just plain old felt like eating out of habit was the hard part for me but ended up being the best thing. I don't tell myself I can't ever eat things again I just make them differently. For example it's BBQ time and I'll have cauliflower salad vs potato salad or something like that. If it's pizza I want, I make a cauliflower crust and add spinach or other veggies on top of the cheese.

You got the right idea! Increasing my Water and really thinking about if I was hungry, or thirsty or just plain old felt like eating out of habit was the hard part for me but ended up being the best thing. I don't tell myself I can't ever eat things again I just make them differently. For example it's BBQ time and I'll have cauliflower salad vs potato salad or something like that. If it's pizza I want, I make a cauliflower crust and add spinach or other veggies on top of the cheese.

Oh yes, I want to try that cauliflower crust, and also the oopsie rolls I see a lot of bloggers mentioning!

How much liquids(ie Water, even juice flavored) are we supposed to drink? Bluch :P :: whine:: oooh!!! Wine is a liquid, sits that count? ;) jk!

Obviously I'm going to/have a problem with water consumption. :/ lol