Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

I seem to be going backwards in my meal progression. For the last week I can no longer tolerate any foods that are not either very soft or pureed. I had gotten to the point where I was enjoying broiled fish and chicken along with soft vegetables but as of last Monday they make me nauseous. Has this happened to anyone before? I am stil losing an average of 2-3 pounds per week and I'm still very active walking five miles per day and doing my squats and aerobics. I only have two to three tablespoons of food before my stomach lets me know that that's enough. My concern is whether I am getting enough nutrition in each day. I spoke with my nutritionist and she wants me to make a log of what I eat every time I eat to bring to my appointment next Friday. This morning I prepard 1/2 cup of oatmeal and my Protein Shake. I was only able to get down three teaspoons of the oatmeal and I did not finish the 8oz Protein shake until 1:00. My ability to drink Water has not been effected and I believe that this is keeping me from getting sick. If anyone has any insight into why this is happening or whether you have experienced this before please give me some feedback. All are welcome to respond as I am getting a little worried about what is going on with me, thanks in advance.

It sounds like you may be developing a stricture (where the opening to your new pouch begins to close with scare tissue). This is a very common side effect for the first few months post surgery. One I did not face so I don't have first hand knowledge, but I'm sure you will hear from somebody here that has. My understanding is that it is very easily corrected in an outpatient procedure. Go back to pureed foods, and concentrate on "protein first". No oatmeal until the Protein shake is down. Your NUT should be able to help you more when you are seen on Friday. Keep up the exercise, its important and will keep you feeling great. Don't worry about the nutrition at this point, you will be fine.

Best Wishes,

Carol

Great advice!!

It sounds like you may be developing a stricture (where the opening to your new pouch begins to close with scare tissue). This is a very common side effect for the first few months post surgery. One I did not face so I don't have first hand knowledge, but I'm sure you will hear from somebody here that has. My understanding is that it is very easily corrected in an outpatient procedure. Go back to pureed foods, and concentrate on "protein first". No oatmeal until the Protein Shake is down. Your NUT should be able to help you more when you are seen on Friday. Keep up the exercise, its important and will keep you feeling great. Don't worry about the nutrition at this point, you will be fine. Best Wishes, Carol

Thanks Baconville, I can't eat anything but puréed foods and my oatmeal is thinned out some with lactaid milk. I always have my Protein shake first thing in the morning but I had gotten to the point where it didn't take as long to drink it all. Thanks so much for the feedback I can't wait to see my NUTon Friday I also have an appt with my surgeon on Monday. Thanks so much, have a great evening.

I don't have any advice but I will keep you in mind and send positive thoughts your way. And be sure to come back and tell us what your NUT and doc say. :)

I don't have any advice but I will keep you in mind and send positive thoughts your way. And be sure to come back and tell us what your NUT and doc say. :)

Thanks Ginger I will. I send the same positive thoughts your way as you get closer to your day of metamorphosis!!! Praying for you and wishing you all the best!!!

I've been very nauseous the last 2 weeks. (I'm 7 weeks post op) I saw my nutritionist last week and I too am keeping not only a food journal, but noting what time I start eating, when I start to feel bad, when I use the bathroom etc.

I changed when I take my Multivitamins which has actually helped me a lot. I was taking them on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. Now I take them 45 minutes after dinner.

I've been very nauseous the last 2 weeks. (I'm 7 weeks post op) I saw my nutritionist last week and I too am keeping not only a food journal, but noting what time I start eating, when I start to feel bad, when I use the bathroom etc. I changed when I take my Multivitamins which has actually helped me a lot. I was taking them on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. Now I take them 45 minutes after dinner.< /p>

Hi Amy, I'm following your lead and adding the things you mentioned in your post. I have my Protein Shake before I take my Vitamins in the morning. Thanks for the good advice I pray that all goes well for both of us.

Praying for you MrsGloMartin

MrsGloMartin how are you?

Hi Msshellg, I'm doing well. I waited to post anything until I saw my surgeon after my NUT said I was doing fine not to worry about eating small amounts of food and feeling satiated. She felt that as long as I was meeting my Protein and Water requirements I doing well.

I saw my surgeon today and he said the same thing. I don't have a stricture thank God I was stressed over that because I've followed orders strictly since week three when I went through that dumping phase. I'm on schedule and since my surgery on April 21st I've lost 56lbs. My surgeon thinks that I'm just going to be someone who does not require a lot of food to become full and that's awesome to me.

My mother shared with me that I was a fussy eater and she had to make me sit at the table until I ate at least half of my meal. It's funny how food becomes an obsession for us. I hope I never go back to those bad habits that almost caused me my life. Thanks to everyone who responded to this posting. I appreciate you and I pray that we will all continue to make changes that improve our health and well-being. Have a great evening, God Bless.

Hi Msshellg, I'm doing well. I waited to post anything until I saw my surgeon after my NUT said I was doing fine not to worry about eating small amounts of food and feeling satiated. She felt that as long as I was meeting my Protein and Water requirements I doing well.

I saw my surgeon today and he said the same thing. I don't have a stricture thank God I was stressed over that because I've followed orders strictly since week three when I went through that dumping phase. I'm on schedule and since my surgery on April 21st I've lost 56lbs. My surgeon thinks that I'm just going to be someone who does not require a lot of food to become full and that's awesome to me.

My mother shared with me that I was a fussy eater and she had to make me sit at the table until I ate at least half of my meal. It's funny how food becomes an obsession for us. I hope I never go back to those bad habits that almost caused me my life. Thanks to everyone who responded to this posting. I appreciate you and I pray that we will all continue to make changes that improve our health and well-being. Have a great evening, God Bless.

So glad that you got good news! Sorry to have been the one to panic you, it was not my intention. I have been watching for your update and couldn't be happier for you. Just keep following the plan! You are doing great!

Carol

Hey Carol, you didn't cause me any extra anxiety or panic lol. I was already panicking when I couldn't eat more than two to three tbsp of food. Is advanced from that to almost being able to eat half of a cup of food so it scared me that I seemed to be going backwards. My doctor said as our stomachs finish healing it's possible to no longer need as much food to fill it. I really appreciate your feedback and in your post you told me that you've never experienced a stricture and you were just letting me know that was a possibility based on my symptoms. Don't feel that you've caused me undue panic I'm a person who is prone to panic attacks you just made me aware of the possibility of it. I appreciate your support and concern it's what we do for one another on this site. I look forward to more support and encouragement from you. Have a great day!!!

Hey Carol, you didn't cause me any extra anxiety or panic lol. I was already panicking when I couldn't eat more than two to three tbsp of food. Is advanced from that to almost being able to eat half of a cup of food so it scared me that I seemed to be going backwards. My doctor said as our stomachs finish healing it's possible to no longer need as much food to fill it. I really appreciate your feedback and in your post you told me that you've never experienced a stricture and you were just letting me know that was a possibility based on my symptoms. Don't feel that you've caused me undue panic I'm a person who is prone to panic attacks you just made me aware of the possibility of it. I appreciate your support and concern it's what we do for one another on this site. I look forward to more support and encouragement from you. Have a great day!!!

I received so much support from folks here. I really want to pay it forward. I am here for you if you ever have any questions. I can't believe the change this year has had on my life and am happy to help in any way I can.

Carol

MrsGlo,

I am so glad to read that you are doing well. I always read your posts when I see then, because you are always so positive. It is amazing how little we need to eat now. Keep up the good work