Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Happy One Year Anniversary/NewBirthday To Me !!!

I had a band placed around my tummy a year ago today.

It was an easy decision, and might I say the BEST decision I have ever made for myself.

I get along with my band, we have a relationship I wouldn't have fathomed even nine months ago.

I LOVE MY BAND. It sticks out and I can feel it. It protrudes and I can see it very clearly when I lay on my back, and I can see it the mirror too!

Insurance made my life hell. (Yep, that would be Cigna you lousy &^@%$@#)

Thank you UnitedHealthCare for believing in this surgery and the critical role weight factors into a healthy MIND and BODY.

There is nothing like the lift of 'weight off' my shoulders when social events come up and I am not freaking out because I have to put together an outfit so that I can feel like I 'fit in' with my peers and will be judges less because of that chosen outfit.

I simply go into my closet and pick something, because it's all so CUTE and HOT !!!!

I wish all Bandsters and BandsterWannaBe's -- all the best, all the happiness, and all the success they desire!!!!

you give me great motivation....and Very very happy for your weight loss and your new outlook on your life....Good JOB

waiting insurance approval

Thank you and congratulations.

You are definitely a great motivating force for the recently banded like myself.

Happy Anniversary to you! Would love to see some pics.

WE WANT PICS!! WE WANT PICS!! WE WANT PICS!! WE WANT PICS!! WE WANT PICS!! WE WANT PICS!!

I had a band placed around my tummy a year ago today.

It was an easy decision, and might I say the BEST decision I have ever made for myself.

I get along with my band, we have a relationship I wouldn't have fathomed even nine months ago.

I LOVE MY BAND. It sticks out and I can feel it. It protrudes and I can see it very clearly when I lay on my back, and I can see it the mirror too!

Insurance made my life hell. (Yep, that would be Cigna you lousy &^@%$@#)

Thank you UnitedHealthCare for believing in this surgery and the critical role weight factors into a healthy MIND and BODY.

There is nothing like the lift of 'weight off' my shoulders when social events come up and I am not freaking out because I have to put together an outfit so that I can feel like I 'fit in' with my peers and will be judges less because of that chosen outfit.

I simply go into my closet and pick something, because it's all so CUTE and HOT !!!!

I wish all Bandsters and BandsterWannaBe's -- all the best, all the happiness, and all the success they desire!!!!

Congratulations. I started out at the same weight as you, so I'm hoping I can reach my goal as quick as you did! What an inspiration.

Questions for you -

1) What do you think contributed to your weight loss (besides the band)

2) Did you do low carb or low fat or both?

3) Did you have PB incidents?

4) Did you exercise - if so, how much?

Again, your a great inspiration and we would all love to hear your secrets!

Hi Tonya!

Congrats on getting banded!!!

I married my busband, and wear a wedding band proudly!

I banded my stomach and wear my tummy band proudly!

You asked a few questions, and here's a quick response.

You can always eMail me - as I can not get on this website as often as I want too!!!

1) What do you think contributed to your weight loss (besides the band)

Determination. Determination. Determination.

I have been fat. I have hated myself. I felt like the world didn't approve of me, and I couldn't stand all those feelings.

EVERY SINGLE DAY I woke up with yet another day to make a difference or choice about my fat.

I worked it every single day.

2) Did you do low carb or low fat or both?

HIGH Protien. 60grams minimum a day.

NO Sugar

I cut carbs WAY down - I didn't want ANY, and avoided at all possible opportunity - by doing this, because carbs are naturally in so much, I was able to really keep the carbs at bay.

Avoided all empty calories. (i hate Water, and some bottled waters have empty calories - i use that as an example of 'empty calories')

3) Did you have PB incidents?

Nope. My husband does. (he was banded 7-5-06)

Eat small bites, and slowly.

I was really taken back by how much slower I eat, and damn if I wasn't full faster! :(

I had one incident, where I was having dinner with friends, wrapped up in talking, took a bite of salad and we are guessing it got stuck.

I spent the night in the hospital, great morphine, but it was painful, embarrassing, and down right frustrating!!!

4) Did you exercise - if so, how much?

Ok, I have OCD.

I was exercising 7 days a week.

Doctor, Nutrionist, trianer and husband all made me cut back to 6 days a week.

I would go in there and pound myself for at least two hours - and still not think I did enough.

Then I decided I would go in, burn 100 to 200 calories, then think, if I can burn 200 cals, I can burn 300..

Eventually I was burning 700 calories in 45mins, and could allow myself to leave the gym feeling like I had contributed to my daily process of weight loss attempts, and not beat myself up that I did not do enough to loos weight that day at the gym.

I have not been back to the gym in MONTHS !!!

I started a new job across town and just could not fit it into the day.

Well, hubby and I are going back to the gym this Monday, as he needs to loose weight and I need to FIRM up my butt and thighs!!!

I hung a calendar in my closet.

I weigh myself everyday.

I lost 10 to 14 pounds a month, and this contributed to my weight loss goal being hit in under a year.

Was I starving?

No.

I learned I was craving crap.

I craved bacon that I used to eat up to ten pieces for Breakfast b4 surgery.

I craved high carb Snacks - because emotionally I was depleated. Upset, happy, and even stupid.

To resolve the need for a sugary snack, and to hold me over when I know we're only an hour or two away from dinner and I know I need to eat my dinner..... I will grab about 6 or 8 animal Cookies. (Stoffers are the best)

We keep them in the cabinet, the kids and hubby and I will grab a few on the run.

It resolves that need to 'snack' and a little sugary taste so I don't totally feel like I am depriving myself.

It is all in moderation these days. And I still focus big time on my PROTIEN first.

There are still items I stay away from in my diet choices. But slowly I allow a few things in very concentrated moderation form, back in.

Someone on this board once posted - and it is my mental chant:

NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS SKINNY FEELS

Physically, mentally, emotionally, ...... I am honestly the best Melanie I have ever been.

I have rambled enough. Sorry!!!

Sending you then very best for banded success!!!!

-Melanie

Melanie, Thanks so much for sharring your story. I am trying to learn from successful bandsters like you. The band was only a tool, you did the work and you should be very proud of yourself! I'm so impressed!