Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have any lapbander's out there ever tried the hCG diet while banded?

I am three years out from being banded. I lost 50 lbs in the first 6 months and then hit a brick wall and nothing worked.

Yes, I exercise.

Yes, I eat right.

Yes, I follow the rules.

In fact, funny thing is, when I exercise I actually gain weight.

Yes, I know muscle weighs more than fat... but I didn't necessarily lose inches...

my thighes actually bulked up and my inches increased.

It was crazy, it's like exercise was my worst enemy!

My GYN told me I am pre-menopausal - and that is why my weight loss stopped.

My lap band nutritionist told me that sometimes for some people, the lap band just stops working and she suggested I go for a SECOND surgery and switch over to the gastric sleeve.

Personally, I'm not that keen on removing 80 percent of my stomach! I admire those who do, and I see their remarkable success - compared to lap banders - but I'm just not convinced that removing that much of my stomach is the best plan for me.

I have a friend at church who has been on the hCG diet through injections, and she's had INCREDIBLE, REMARKABLE success. I know it's a difficult task to follow - major rules and limited diet. But it's awfully tempting to know I could be on it for 40 days and lose 1-2 pounds a day!

I was just wondering if any other lap banders have been on this diet and how they did. Did the lap band make it easier for them?

I have 100 more pounds to lose, and it seems my body (hormonally) and my lap band are just not helping me out much.

Thanks!

I spent some time looking back on some of our previous conversations. Did you follow through with the 1900 calorie a day diet routine your dietician recommended?(This makes me question the sanity/competence of this professional)

Most of us do not diet. As you know, the band helps us feel satisfied with less food, much less unhealthy food. We try to eat healthy and exercise.

And you need to burn 3500 calories to lose 1 lb of fat. You may lose 5-10 lbs of excess fluids our bodies store in the first few weeks so don't be deceived you're losing 1-2 lbs of fat a day. You may lose some fat but it's mostly Water.

And I have to disagree with your nut. The band does not stop working.imo I think our bodies do tend to slow down on weight loss as we get to our set point but if you continue to burn more calories than you consume, it's inevitable that you will lose more fat but it may be painstakingly slow. But I doubt you'll lose any fat if you consume 1900 cals/day.

Just remember why you did this in the first place? Most or all of us had WLS because every diet we tried failed us. Sometimes diets were successful, but maintaining that weight loss became impossible.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I increased my calories but it made me gain weight.

I have done every possible thing I could do and no success.

GYN just shrugs her shoulders and says it's my age.

GP Doc has no reply - just gives me more meds for inheritly bad cholesterol

and LP Doc & Nutritionist say it stopped working and let's cut more.

Believe me, I've tried it all. Very depressing.

But I will say - I don't necessarily think that the lap band "stopped working"... I should correct myself. I do belive if I didn't have it, I would be worse off - because I do feel it working. Otherwise, I'd be able to eat more.

So on that hand, it's keeping me from gaining... but.... I'm simply at a stand still and I feel like my body is working against me, fighting me tooth & nail. LOL!

I've found that most PCP/GP docs know only what they've read in their journals. No real life experience so they just mime the old tried and true, "eat less and exercise more" slogans.

I've seen some banders revise to the sleeve and early on they seem to be successful. It's somewhat new so there isn't the data there to say it works all the time and continues to work? I know a gal in our support group who had the sleeve from the start and she's experiencing the same problem you speak of but she's having a difficult time controlling those cravings.

For me, I've stalled now for nearly 2 years. But I know why? Me. I've fallen into this maintenance mentality and as long as I stay within 10 lbs of my initial 50 lb loss I've convinced myself that's enough(but it's not). The band still helps me eat less and I still eat healthy 90% of the time, but the cheats, Snacks and slip-ups are holding me back. So I got nobody to blame but me.

Good luck.

The saying that you had your stomach banded and not your brain holds true. I have been kinda at the same weight for a few months but it's because I am close to my goal weight and I have gotten complacent somewhat, snacking more and not exercising like I should. It's me not the band. The band still signals when I am full or eating too fast. That is it's job. I would not consider changing to the sleeve . but that is me.

http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/consumerupdates/ucm281333.htm

HGC is illegal in the US. It requires a 500 calorie diet that is devoid of fat and carbs. Save yourself the $$$$ and risk and just do the diet.

Actually, it is not illegal in the US. It's FDA approved -- that is, the injections are. Any hCG in drops or pellet form are usually hollistic and are not FDA approved.

I'm only five pounds from my goal, but have also fallen into maintenance mentality. But I'm okay with it, and keep my eye on the big picture. At my one year visit with my surgeon, I expressed concerns that I'm eating more, and the band signal is no longer that strong/loud. He said that after time, we learn to eat around the band. Same goes for the other surgeries. We get used to it, and eat past it. And I'm totally guilty of this. Sometimes my compulsion to keep eating, outweighs the discomfort from eating past the hard signal. But it doesn't happen on a daily basis, and I'm still losing sloooooowly. But lets face it.....we are who we are. We didn't end up having WLS because we were able to control our need and desire to eat. It's a continual work in progress.

@bandedCary. The injections are approved to treat female infertility. All other forms are illegal as stated by the FDA in the link I provided.

Hmmm--- then I wonder why thousands of physicians and clinics perscribe it?

Certainly, if it were illegal to perscribe for weight loss... they would lose their license. You would think those thousands of physicians would not risk it??? Well.... I'm not convinced in doing it. I was just asking if any one out there has tried it. But I think there must be a loop hole somewhere otherwise physicians would not be perscribing it, if it were illegal.

Thanks for the note, though.

I read that link you posted.

The injections are not illegal, the homeopathic versions ARE illegal.

These include HCG weight-loss products marketed over-the-counter (OTC) that are identified as "homeopathic" and direct users to follow a severely restrictive diet.

The food and Drug Administration (FDA) is advising consumers to steer clear of these "homeopathic" human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) weight-loss products. They are sold in the form of oral drops, pellets and sprays and can be found online and in some retail stores.

Yes, it does indicate (which I knew) that hCG is FDA approved for the treatment of infertility (and other medical conditions). And the FDA notes that it has found no connection to weight loss. I've known that as well.

I watched a segment on the Dr. Oz show and he covered both sides quite extensively. It was interesting. In the end, Dr. Oz even thought -- that while the caloric intake was lower than he recommended... despite the findings of the FDA, the positive proof displayed by participants was too great to ignore. He said he would recommend giving it a try, under the care of a physican.

So, the injections are not illegal. And it is not illegal for a physican to perscribe for weight loss. It's just that the FDA cannot find substantial evidence (in their view) for it being a contributing factor for weight loss.

I'm curious about it. Just as Dr. Oz stated... in black and white it should not work, but his research brought so many who have experienced success thru the diet, he could not ignore the possibility that it might work.

Certainly an interesting topic! ;-)

I know that sometime ago when I was doing hcg they outlawed some of it in the U.S. you could order it from other countries and get it. I did not use the real hcg, just the holistic stuff.. it worked but I only ate 500 calories a day. lost 50 lbs. when I finally got sick and couldn't keep doing it I gained the 50 and then another 20.

It isn't illegal. The pregnancy hormone is not FDA approved for weight loss. That doesn't mean a doctor can't prescribe it for weight loss. I did HCG pre-band with the homeopathic drops and lost 33 pounds in 40 days. I imagine HCG would be easier post band considering how small the pouch is. It would hold the recommended portion size and make you feel full. I haven't tried it post band. Still trying to figure my band out.

I did the hug diet about a year and a half ago and was miserable. Lost a lot of weight fast, burned out on it and like all other diets gained it back plus some. As for menopause, it does make it easier to gain wt and harder to lose it, but many of us have already proven that it's still possible. I can't imagine that your nutritionist told you to take in 1900 calories. That's about what you would need to maintain wt, not lose. My doc said 1200. I mix it up, 1200 for a few weeks, 900 for a few. Plus lots of exercise.

I know for a fact the HCG protocol works. I have used it in between green zones. Two acquaintances also did it and lost about 100 pounds in a year+ However I don't know how menopause would effect the HCG plan because of the hormone aspect? And to be perfectly honest I don't really know the long term ramifications of a 500 calorie diet. I think it's the diet that works not so much the HCG.....but whatever, it does work.

Just to let you know.....one of the acquaintances kept it off the other one gained most all of it back in about 2 years. Lifestyle change.

Edited by Christina.Rose