Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy or Gastric Bypass for 100+ weight loss

I am meeting with surgeon in a couple weeks and we are discussing the sleeve verses bypass. I am 50 years old, no other health concerns except my knees are bad from my extra weight and the obvious.. I am overweight scratch that obese : )

So for those of you who have had bypass I was wondering if you would now have considered the sleeve or visa versa.

THANK YOU ahead of time as I am a newbie.

Losing weight Gaining Life,

Cindy Virden

www.cindyvirden.com

The VSG is a fabulous tool if you don't have any pre-operative issues such as diabetes or gastric reflux disease. It in my opinion works just as good as the bypass (and I'm revising to bypass soon due to GERD) as long as you stick to the post op plan. Take a list of all of the pros and cons of both and whichever ones mean the most to you place more emphasis on. Good luck with your decision. :)

I have severe reflux to start with, so I'm going bypass. Bypass is also considered the 'gold standard' and is the most proven. Statistically, on average, people lose more of their excess weight with bypass although they can have more long-term complications. You have to take Vitamins for life with either.

Personally, reading through the forums here, I don't want to "try" the sleeve first and end up revising to the bypass. They are both invasive surgeries and I want to go for the one with the more proven track record.

Ginger. Have you been checked for a hiatal hernia. I have suffered with reflux for years and turns out I have a hiatal hernia which will be repaired when I get my sleeve.

Everyone has reasons why they choose a particular surgery. My surgeon recommended the sleeve for me. I expect to be able to loose 140 pounds. I like what I saw in the results of VSG and had no reasons why it did not make sense for me. I had my surgery on 12/23/13. Currently I have lost a total of 118 pounds. Weight loss has been steady with no issues with the sleeve. I am very happy with my decision

Had my VSG at age 59. 'Tis truly a tough decision, and often just comes down to your own personal preference (that is if your surgeon recommends either, as mine did). I agree with what other posters here have said. The gastric bypass is considered the "gold standard" and has more years of statistics available. There exists only about five years of hard data on the sleeve (although the sleeve has been performed here in the US quite routinely for about the last 7 or so years, and I've heard even longer in the UK, but not sure about that stat). May I share what I have observed in the four support groups I have attended per month in the past three years.

> More people seems to be opting for the sleeve, and the primary reason they cite is that it is a less invasive surgery (no drastic rerouting of the "plumbing" as with the gastric bypass). I made the decision for the sleeve for that reason. I was Type 2 diabetic, although not insulin dependent. Diabetes, hypertension, and high cholesterol all resolved within one month of surgery.

>As far as day-to-day new habits following your surgery, the lifestyle and eating plan is the same for both the GB or sleeve. The potential for malabsorption of certain nutrients seems to be of more concern with GB than with sleeve.

>Some people report more restriction (continuing to feel fuller longer) "down the road" with the GB than with the sleeve, but that often totally depends on the operation parameters (bougie size, etc).

>I do know that (some? many?) GB patients often deal with dumping and/or vomiting, whereas it is less common with sleeve patients. For instance, I have never vomited or had a dumping episode since surgery.

I have heard many, many patients share the good, bad, and ugly of both procedures. Of course you know that everyone's outcome is going to be different. And please also keep in mind--sometimes (not always) when you hear the terrible horror stories of one surgery or the other going so terribly wrong, what you're often NOT hearing is that the patient what not very good at taking care of themselves and committing to following the bariatric program as their new lifestyle. COMPLIANCE is mandatory with WLS, and some people just don't get that.

Just keep asking those questions like you're doing, talk to as many WLS professionals as you can find, seek out WLS books (there are lots published in the last 5 years), attend post-op support groups at local hospitals in your area if you can (you may need a "Mother May I" from someone but it's worth it to be a squeeky wheel to get some first-hand info from WLS patients eye-to-eye!).

Good luck with your decision. You'll come to the one that is right for you. . .

I started at 271 pounds and my doctor said I should be able to lose 100 pounds, but I have to do the work at the gym and keep eating the way I am suppose to.

Good Luck!

<p>I am meeting with surgeon in a couple weeks and we are discussing the sleeve verses bypass. I am 50 years old, no other health concerns except my knees are bad from my extra weight and the obvious.. I am overweight scratch that obese : )</p> <p> </p> <p>So for those of you who have had bypass I was wondering if you would now have considered the sleeve or visa versa.</p> <p> </p> <p>THANK YOU ahead of time as I am a newbie.</p> <p> </p> <p>Losing weight Gaining Life,</p> <p> </p> <p>Cindy Virden</p> <p>www.cindyvirden.com</p>

Hi,

I had a sleeve done in Dec12 and am going in on the 29th May for a bypass due to my sleeve stretching and no restrictions. Normally doctors look at other health risks too and they decide which is the best option for you. I would say keep an open mind, study as much as you can on both and prepare for what the doctor might say, either way good luck

I am 55. I have had a vertical sleeve done. My main reason for this procedure was the absorption of more nutrients and the non routing of the plumbing. I have had great success with this and am very pleased. It is still a lot of work and thought each day. I am now 7 months out and losing only 1-1 1/2 lbs. now a week. I do eat pretty much all foods and am learning moderation still. I am fearful of stretching my new stomach. I am now off all blood pressure medicine. Take nothing for arthritis pain and can now exercise because my knees and feet can now handle it. I still have arthritis pain but it is very manageable now especially in my knees. This has been the best thing I have ever done and wish I would have done it 10 years ago. Good Luck on deciding.

Hello Cindy.

I am by no means an expert and can only relay my experience. I evaluated both options and in the end decided on the sleeve. Simple, less invasive, seems to be less long term consequences. I was sleeved on 4.18.2014. My starting weight was 400 lbs......I am down 71 pounds as of today. The difference between 400 and 329 can only be described as miraculous. I was taking three BPM.....now I am on 1/2 of one tablet. I had sleep apnea, now gone. Still on thyroid and Cholesterol but may be able to come off the Cholesterol when I have blood work done in July.

This was the single greatest decision I have ever made.........It is only a tool, I am still driving the bus but it has changed my life....The diet, the Vitamins, the workouts are amazing.

I wish you luck in your journey to concur this thing I call obesity. I am not done and honestly will never be done but I sure feel good about were I am headed.