Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How has exercise affected your results?

Of course I already know without asking that exercise is the "key"....but not necessarily for everyone! Just curious if exercise truly helped you get past a plateau, helped you lose steadily all the way along, or, if you didn't exercise, are you struggling with your weight loss?

I would prefer "exercise" to mean "vigorous, heart-pumping, sweat-inducing exercise" at least 3x a week.

Just a show of hands, so to speak....

yes, regular exercise has absolutely made the difference between losing at a steady pace and not losing

Yes, it has helped, but it's still a struggle to get the weight off

No, not really. I'm losing, but very slowly, and exercise doesn't seem to make a significant difference.

No, it doesn't seem to matter what I do....I cannot get this number to budge! (and I AM following all the bandster rules...honest!)

I have not added exercise in yet, but I am counting down to it. I have arthritis and wanted to get some of my excess weight off befor stressing my joints with a new routine. I am a housewife though, so I normally putter through the day and don't sit much. I'm sure that helped. I have lost 1 to 2 pounds per week and it gets boring waiting for the numbers to change but I'm learning patience!My plan is to add in exercise in at 45 pounds. I'm at 43...

For the longest time i didn't exercise ...Was only loosing 2 lbs a month, Finally something snapped and i started walking on the treadmill regularly..I was loosing 5-10 lbs a month. Now i am back to not exercising. Really need to start again. I have been on the treadmill like twice in the last two weeks. I really need to get moving. I only have 46 lbs to go

Well, right now my answer is :

Yes, regular exercise has made a difference between losing at a steady pace and not losing.

That is just my answer right now and it may change, but it won't stop me from exercising. I joined a gym a couple years ago, way before banding. I went religiously at least 3 days a week and never lost a pound, but I could see amazing changes in my body shape and others could see it as well. I felt stronger and I could do alot of things physically that I could not do before. I experience some pain in my knees from excess weight, but it is not severe. There are alot of exercises you can do if you have joint pain like Sit And Be Fit or Water aerobics (which feels like heaven for anyone with joint problems). I hear alot of people say that I am losing weight just fine and I'm not even exercising, but what kind of weight loss is it...muscle or fat? I believe exercise is the "key" to being healthy not just losing weight.

hi terri,

I was banded on 4/11 and I will start my exercise tomorrow. I will be one of those that HAVE to exercise because I hit a plateau on my regular diet before I got banded. I have lost 3 pounds but I just know from the past that exercise is a must for me to achieve, unfortunately.:omg:

I had gotten down to 247 then scheduled my surgery, then for some unknown reason decided to eat like a cow until my surgery date, so here I am now 252 from my 255 surgery weight. Sure wish I had not decided to eat like a crazy woman before my surgery, but hind-sight is 20/20.

Good luck with your journey!!

TracyTX

I definately think that exercising regulary has helped me to lose steadily. I never exercised before being banded, partly because I have severe arthritis in my knees and ankles. But after being banded, I realized that I had to start exercising. The experts say that people who have arthritis should keep moving because it helps keep your joints loose, but I was always in so much pain, that I just avoided it like the plague. I started with Water aerobics--which, I agree, is heaven for people with arthritis! Then, a month after my surgery, I joined Ladies Workout Express--it is like Curves, with a 30 minute circuit that incorporates strength training with cardio all in a 30 minute workout, and it is very joint friendly. They also have a treadmill, stair climber, bikes, and an eliptical for extra cardio, and they offer lots of classes, like Zumba, and belly-dancing. I absolutely love it and I go every day on my lunch hour, and try to go at least one day on the weekend, too. We also recently joined the Y, so while my daughter is at volleyball practice, I get on the treadmill, and use the weight machines. I have become an exercise junkie, and it has definately made a difference in my body. Not only am I losing steadily, but my whole body is changing. And, it is a great stress reliever. I was very worried about having a lot of excess skin after losing weight and I think regular exercise is the key to not having that problem. I mean, there will still be some skin, but it will not be as bad as if I didn't workout on a regular basis.

Yes, I believe that exercise has made a difference in my weight loss. I didn't start exercising right after surgery because I had plantar fasciitis, and exercise just made it worse. Plus, I was losing fine just with the dietary changes. But, at about 4 months out/60 lbs. down, I knew it was time to get started. Plus, my surgeon flat out said that if I want to get all the way down to goal, that exercise is not an option...it is crucial.

So, I joined a gym, and started going regularly at the first of January. At first I did 20" on the elliptical 3 times a week, plus a couple of sessions of strength training per week. I didn't have huge changes on the scale, but it was steady. Then, by the end of February, I felt confident about my fitness level to take it up a notch, and started taking a spinning class. All of a sudden, I started dropping like 3 lbs. a week, which to me is even more impressive since I'm under 20 lbs. to goal. I love the spinning so much that I now take a class every day except Sunday (because they don't offer one on Sunday!) It's fun, envigorating, and man, does it shred the pounds!

I read something in a fitness magazine that I think is very true. It said that sometimes people get discouraged early in their fitness program because they don't see big changes on the scale. Here's the thing, your body starts hanging on to Water after you start exercising, because it needs Water to process the glycogen stores in your cells. Plus, after several weeks, you also add some muscle weight. So, don't sweat it if you don't see appropriate feedback from the scales right away. Keep it up, because it is well worth it in the long run.

Keep in mind, that you need to start at a level that is appropriate for you own level of fitness, and then progress so that you improve your fitness without getting burnt out or injured. The best way to measure your fitness level for cardio is a heart rate monitor.

One other thing...most people don't enjoy fitness activities until they have some level of physical fitness, but, of course you have to exercise to get physically fit. So, either find an activity that you genuinely love to do, or accept that you just have to force yourself to do it until you get to the point where you want to!

Tami

I'm 4 years out and exercised haphazardly...was 242 at surgery, had a baby, got divorced then decided that I need to get a tight fill to really "focus" on losing weight. I had gotten to 168 during my divorce but after everything was said and done got back up to 197 then got my tight fill. Anyway did not lose anything for 7 months except I had bad night time reflux, pb'd alot. Then I said enough and started walking every morning 7 days a week and BAM!!! went from 197 to 170 in 4 months and I'm 4 yours out.

Moral of the story....exercise, exercise, exercise.

Now I'm trying to lose my last 15 lbs so I can have my plastic surgery in July. I will be having full Tummy Tuck, breast lift and some Lipo to my midsection. My plastic surgeon said that I have great skin tone and will be very pleased with the results.

Exercise, Exercise, Exercise.

Ana

Exercise was HARD for me at 392. But, I started out slowly and aimed for 3 sessions a week. Guess what?! I grew to like it...not love it, but like it. It helps relieve stress and I love the endorphin rush. So, to answer your question....YES...I honestly believe I wouldn't have lost half as much as I have if I hadn't been exercising throughout. Plus, strength training has helped me shape up. If I had just lost weight without the exercise, I'd be a floppier, yet smaller version of the same 396 pounder! But because I've toned some muscle I am physically smaller. My collar bones show and my arm and leg muscles are starting to appear!

Yes, exercise has made the difference between losing and not losing.

In fact I'd actually go so far as to say that my changed exercise habits are more responsible for me reaching my goal weight than the lapband has been. I've never ever had good restriction with my band. Its helped me to eat like a normal person but I've never been able to eat 1000 calories a day or even 1200, I'd get too hungry and binge. I've stuck on around 1500 to 1800. I could have gone tighter but I'm phobic about being tight, I want this thing in me for ever!

I'd say its been 40% what I eat (habits much improved) 60% what I do.